Stretch Marks

Jada

Well I've finally got stretch marks and just wanted to know from those who have achieved goal or nearly there ......... are they that prominent, like I have small ones on the sides of my breasts, under the top of my arms and my thighs. Is it really noticeable when you were a bikini? I've never worn a bikini before even when I was slim and would like to once I meet goal.

Hi hun

They do fade and whilst you can still see them I wouldn't say they jump out at you. I wore a bikini and felt comfortable and have never worn one before.

x

aha good ol' stretchmarks...i am an expert on these :rolleyes: Mine come from weight gain and i have plenty! lol.

The good news is that they do fade and are not really noticeable at all :) Thats a promise :)

Using creams helps many on the market some dear some cheap keep moisturised and plenty of water xx

i have heard vitamin E cream is good, and also Bio oil is supposed to be amazing - you can get it from Superdrug :)

Sorry to hijack thread, but was wondering how many people experienced stretch marks from weight loss? I've got loads (some faded and some fresh :() from weight gain over the years, but was hoping I might not get too many from losing weight if I do it fairly steadily.....what have people's experiences been?

Sorry to hijack thread, but was wondering how many people experienced stretch marks from weight loss? I've got loads (some faded and some fresh :() from weight gain over the years, but was hoping I might not get too many from losing weight if I do it fairly steadily.....what have people's experiences been?

It is the rapid gain in weight that causes stretch marks when the skin is over stretched beyond its elastic ability and the collagen production which is the major protein that makes up the connective tissues in the skin is disrupted this is when they appear and the damage is done.

Stetch marks are scars... depending on how bad they are they might become more noticeable as the fat disappears with weight loss and the skin on top appears less firmer and loose without its former plumpness and it takes awhile for the skin to shrink back, a bit like letting the air out of a balloon.

Hopefully not as dramatic...depending on the quality of your skin and how much weight loss you have.

They say for every stone lost you need to give your skin a month to recover.

I notice my skin goes through phases of looking loose and then seems to spring back... so far so good and the couple of stretch marks that were red have faded.

Bio oil does speed up the fading of stretch marks from red/purplish to sliver. You can never get rid of stretch marks completely but you can help to minimize the look of them if you use a product like Bio oil as it helps to fade them and this in turn makes them less obvious in their appearance.

For deeper more pronounced stretch marks you can get treatment like surgery or techniques such as laser or microdermabrasion.

Massaging your skin a couple of times a week with your favourite body lotion will help your circulation and stimulate collagen production which helps long term with the condition of your skin.

Love Mini xxx

Thanks guys it's a comfort to know they will fade, I mean I've never been this big before and I will be buying the bio oil when I can afford to, I've heard it mentioned over the years but never paid much attention to it.

just my 2 pennies worth. Bio-oil didnt help me but palmers cocoa butter stretch mark cream which is about £4 ish helped to fade my bright red ugly ones to just stretch marks and i have lots of them. just be patient and keep using lots of cream (any cream - firming cream, moisturising cream, body oil - watevas on offer in the shops for me usually) as you lose weight to avoid any more nasties!!
good luck
x

I must be lucky, or maybe blokes just don't get stretch marks? but I agree with what mini posted

Stetch marks are scars... depending on how bad they are they might become more noticeable as the fat disappears with weight loss and the skin on top appears less firmer and loose without its former plumpness and it takes awhile for the skin to shrink back, a bit like letting the air out of a balloon.

especially letting the air out of a balloon, that's a perfect analogy and that was me to a T.

and Palmers coco butter smells gorge :)

and Jim i am sure men get stretch marks - the guy that plays Vicki Pollard has stretch marks on his belly - i noticed in one Little Britain episode when Vicki was wearing a bikini!

Thanks guys it's a comfort to know they will fade, I mean I've never been this big before and I will be buying the bio oil when I can afford to, I've heard it mentioned over the years but never paid much attention to it.

I don't use Bio oil all over as I find it too heavy...just on the places I feel needs a bit more attention, hear I use it neat.

I sometimes add a little Bio oil to a handful of Nivea Q10 body lotion and that makes it go further and does not feel has heavy on the skin. I find if you moisturize after a warm bath or shower it soaks in much better.

I have a bad scar on my neck from falling through a class door many years ago and I feel even in this late stage in life it has helped to soften my scar which has got over stretched with the weight gain...

just my 2 pennies worth. Bio-oil didnt help me but palmers cocoa butter stretch mark cream which is about £4 ish helped to fade my bright red ugly ones to just stretch marks and i have lots of them. just be patient and keep using lots of cream (any cream - firming cream, moisturising cream, body oil - watevas on offer in the shops for me usually) as you lose weight to avoid any more nasties!!
good luck
x

Love the smell of Palmers but I have very sensitive skin and it did not agree with me so I can't say what it is like but I have heard excellent reports about this product.

I must be lucky, or maybe blokes just don't get stretch marks? but I agree with what mini posted

especially letting the air out of a balloon, that's a perfect analogy and that was me to a T.

Thanks Jim.

Men do get stretch marks as well if their skin is over stretched rapidly..mostly with men you will find it often occurs during puberty when you have a sudden growth spurt and they can appear on the upper arms, hips and upper thighs.

I myself got a few stretch marks during puberty on my hips and my son got them on his upper arms and these are now just very fine faint silver lines.

I have lost six and half stone before:eek: So this time round losing weight I was very anxious as to how my skin might respond and I have to say it is holding up well.

I still want to lose another three stone and even though my skin is doing very good I still worry as to what it will look like as it is a bit of an unknown as yet.

I am very thankful to be slimmer and healthy but I am a bit vain as well:eek:

I know it sound like a a bit of a contradiction for one who let her weight go up to 17st 12lb...:sigh:

I live in hope:D

Love Mini xxx

Maybe I have stretchy skin then, I'm not complaining. :)

I had a few over the years when I started putting on weight - though I put on weight very fast when I went to work in the states and over the past 8 years i've roughly put on a stone a year. Since losing a little weight I tend to get white stretch marks when I lose weight. I've started using that cocoabutter and it seems to help so far but like in my other thread it's not like I'm far through my weight loss journey!

I do know that I have started to get little thin white lines around my hips and thighs as my main exercise is walking and I think this is the area that I will see the most response with at the moment.

You sound very happy

Are you finding your skin is springing back into place as time goes on?

I am happy mini, :) and yes the skin is tightening, I had a disgusting apron for a while but that is gone now as well

I was thinking of this thread over the weekend CMAN and took a good look at myself in the bedroom mirror, I'm pleased to say no stretch marks, and *SHE* confirms it. ;)

Ive had stretch marks for as long as i can remember and im only 27 lol,ive found just to live with them.I hate the ones on my bingo wings as i cant wear short sleves without feeling paranoid that people can see.
I have alot on my tummy sides soe new ones with gaining nearly 2 stone in 2 months (thats a whole different post lol) but i wouldnt wear a bikini anyway and my bf dont mind them so mine dont really bother me.Im more worried about saggy skin.Luckyly im not too bad and i sopose more excercise would sort it but im all on with just getting through my shakes a day never mind excercise lol.
Try anything i say if they bother you,if they dont work surly they make your skin feel fab lol

xxx

i have really bad stretch marks...they have faded to silver....but look like HUGE scars on my stomach....like a map of the world :D

hey, if you are worried about stretchmarks, microdermabrasion works well on them, but only if you have a lighter skin tone as darker skin tones cause pigmentation. there is also this amazing cream called striae, it's quite expensive, but works very well, you do have to use it for 4 - 6 weeks though to see any results.

Back