Surgery and CD..

laurenmay

Gold Member
I'm restarting CD today, and choosing to do SS+ again.. Only question is that I'm undergoing surgery in four weeks time, which will be performed under general anaesthetic. Would it be okay for me to still be doing CD just before? Will the low calories affect me in any way?

- sent from my iPhone. "No one said it would be easy, they just said it'd be worth it.."

i think you have to be either on a high step such as 1000 cals per day or higher again even, or just come off the diet completely in the run up to surgery. its not healthy to be on a VLCD before or after surgery I think, especially where general anaesthetic is concerned. you should speak to your GP or surgeon about it, maybe your consultant can help too. have you tried looking at the main Cambridge website? there may be an answer on there too.

lumpyandbumpy said:
i think you have to be either on a high step such as 1000 cals per day or higher again even, or just come off the diet completely in the run up to surgery. its not healthy to be on a VLCD before or after surgery I think, especially where general anaesthetic is concerned. you should speak to your GP or surgeon about it, maybe your consultant can help too. have you tried looking at the main Cambridge website? there may be an answer on there too.

I thought that maybe a VLCD wasn't a good idea just before surgery, I'm petrified of not waking up from anaesthetic and all the other little things that play on your mind. I'll have a word with my CDC later on and see what she recommends, I'll also try getting in contact with my surgeon. Maybe I'll have to do SS+ for 3 weeks and then step up to 1000+ calories a day for the fourth week in preparation for surgery.

- sent from my iPhone. "No one said it would be easy, they just said it'd be worth it.."

I thought that maybe a VLCD wasn't a good idea just before surgery, I'm petrified of not waking up from anaesthetic and all the other little things that play on your mind. I'll have a word with my CDC later on and see what she recommends, I'll also try getting in contact with my surgeon. Maybe I'll have to do SS+ for 3 weeks and then step up to 1000+ calories a day for the fourth week in preparation for surgery.

yes definitely seek medical advice and speak to your consultant. you have plenty of time to get on CD, but for now focus on your health and what you need to help you with the surgery, thats the most important thing!

lumpyandbumpy said:
yes definitely seek medical advice and speak to your consultant. you have plenty of time to get on CD, but for now focus on your health and what you need to help you with the surgery, thats the most important thing!

It's not surgery related to my health, it's actually cosmetic and my own choice, but performed under general anaesthetic nonetheless. Just wondering what the restrictions are diet wise before the surgery. I've emailed my consultant so hopefully she'll be able to get through to the surgeon for me!

Just thought I'd update - I've been on the phone to my surgeon who said a VLCD before surgery is not advisable and can cause risks related to the anaesthesia. They advised a eat a healthy diet of over 1200 calories a day 2-3 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks post surgery.

So considering I have two stone to lose, and will only be able to do CD for another week if i follow their guidelines, then I think I'll be trying my best to postpone my op until I'm at goal weight!

And now I've managed to post pone my surgery until July 26th, so that gives me plenty of time to get my butt into gear and follow CD until goal or near goal, then I can up the steps and eat healthy for the two weeks prior to surgery to keep me fit :)

lil_legs said:
Thats good hun, definite goal in site now so no more messing - i want to see you well within the 11s when i return from holiday and need you to kick me up the bum to shift my weight xxxx

I'll definitely be sticking to it this time and quitting the laziness and messing around!! Got about 6 weeks of CD to lose as much weight as possible before I'll have to up the steps to higher calories in order to be fit for surgery!! & I'll be here to kick you up the bum when you're back from holidays, don't you worry! Lol xxx

lil_legs said:
Good, ill need it and i am dreading the first weigh in back already!! :'(

What if im 11 st again :(

Noooo you won't be! You said yourself you're gonna be mindful of what you're eating, and just make sure you're drinking plenty of water too!! Plus the sun and heat will get you sweating and that'll keep the weight off ;) lol

Fingers crossed. Mentally im trying to prepare for 7lb on but i really would like it to be less. if its more i will be deverstated!!! lol

BUT its the smallest ive ever been going on holidays so i should be proud of that and worry about the rest when i come back :)

lil_legs said:
Fingers crossed. Mentally im trying to prepare for 7lb on but i really would like it to be less. if its more i will be deverstated!!! lol

BUT its the smallest ive ever been going on holidays so i should be proud of that and worry about the rest when i come back :)

Exactly :) be proud of what you've accomplished and enjoy your holiday!! You can worry about weight and dieting when you come home :) don't torture yourself with worries over it out there!! x

I can't rember of the top of my head but it is in the book that you get when u sign up x

lil_legs said:
Thank you, I'm gonna repeat that in my head :) x

It was my motto when I was pregnant - not to worry about the weight gain until the baby was born, and just to enjoy my pregnancy and worry about it afterwards!! And it worked for me, so hopefully it'll work for you! But not in a pregnancy way.. Lol x

Back