Swapping Healthy Extras - cheating or not??

Vegan HEas include:

Arla Lactofree Cheese
Galaxy foods cheddar/mozarella veggie/rice slices
Galaxy Foods Vegan Soya slices

You can also have lactofree and rice dream milk as opposed to Soya milk

If you like any of these I will root through for the quantities.

Thanks for that hon, trouble is I find the substitutes pretty eeww. It's 'fake food', if you know what I mean. :D

I didn't know the Rice Dream milk was a Hex A, I've seen that in the supermarket so I might give it a go and see if I get on with it. I'm assuming it's similar quantity to full-fat dairy milk? I read somewhere that Rice Dream is sweetened.

Hate to say it rice dream is nothing like full fat dairy its bearable in cooking but not on cereal etc when we were dairy free the stuff was totally yuck. I cannot eat vegan cheese, its like chalk and the rice slice things are like eating a carrier bag. I understand why you substitute as soya products are not at all nice and anyone who criticises a sub in this case needs to try before they condemn, I went milk free to support my baby who was dairy intolerant poor girl didn't have much choice and all tasted bad.

You can have 250ml of Rice Dream Original with Added Calcium, same as semi skimmed regular cow's milk. I hope it's nice, I've heard it's quite sweet. Even if you can get away with having 1 on-plan HEa, it would be better than none at all :D

I know what you mean about 'fake foods' sometimes there's no real substitute for the real thing, but like I said, that's how I felt about skimmed milk before I was on SW, I got used to it and it's copeable now. I do often have semi instead of skimmed, but if I have a cereal day, I go for the skimmed, cos I like my cups of tea too much!

I wouldn't worry about making a tiny little mistake like that, really if the nutrition stats are almost the same then I very much doubt if it will make the slightest bit of difference anyway - and also when I tried the Special K Sustain, which is on the list, I didn't find that it made me any more 'fuller' than normal Special K. The main thing to remember is all the things that you HAVE done right - the planning, the writing down, no cheating, no falling off the wagon, you've eaten all exactly the right things and I'm sure you will get your reward - when do you weigh in?

Do you know why your sustain doesn;t make you feel fuller? Because they compared 30g of special k with 45g of sustain. Of course, 45g of sustain will make you feel fuller than 30g of special k, they don't say that on the ads any more, they got in trouble for advertising semantics, it's all guff basically!

they *can* say that the slow releasing fibre *could* (not *will*) make you feel fuller for longer though, so they say that instead now.

Hate to say it rice dream is nothing like full fat dairy its bearable in cooking but not on cereal etc

Oh dear, that's what I would have been wanting it for. I've totally gotten to love black tea (Lady Grey - delicious!), don't miss milk at all except that I do miss having my bowl of branflakes.

when we were dairy free the stuff was totally yuck. I cannot eat vegan cheese, its like chalk and the rice slice things are like eating a carrier bag. I understand why you substitute as soya products are not at all nice

Well yes, this is what I've found ... it's just horrible, I simply couldn't eat it. It's not a question of taking time to get used to this stuff, it's just foul. :D

I've done the most sensible thing I can I think, in choosing something else for the same calories that also provides nutrition. The only alternative would be to go without the Hex at all, which is contrary to SW's overall philosophy.

As I say, it's not affecting my losses at all and I'm probably getting enough Vitamin C to fight off an army of winter nasties as well. :)

if it's not affecting and you;re happy then carry on. You said in another post that you're taking a calc supplement right? That's the only other thing I can ossibly suggest, and count your calc supplement as your HEa.

The only other thing I would say, but only from my pernickety point of view, is that you should syn your orange juice portion, apart from that, good luck hun!

Thank you so much, I thought I had brilliant week until I read that thread last night, I could have kicked myself, I have checked and double everything else this week and was remiss on that front, fortunately there were a few things on my Syns that I could transfer to HEB and then add the Special K as a syn, it worked out for bout 3 days but theres 1 day that I have gone over my syns, this was my 100% week so I am a bit disappointed, the damage may not be too severe, what can I do now, theres no point crying over spilt cereal, I dont get weighed til thurs so I will give a brave attempt to keep perfectly on track til then, thanks again

Don't be worrying about going slightly over, our consultant has recently told us that we can do our syns weekly. So you have 105 over the week to play with!

if it's not affecting and you;re happy then carry on. You said in another post that you're taking a calc supplement right?

Yes, it's really important to have a decent calcium intake as a vegan, very easy to fall way too low with that once you cut out dairy.

I know there are certain dried fruits and some vegetables that contain calcium, it rather surprises me that none are listed as Hex's? Maybe this is an issue SW just aren't aware of? Vegans make up a tiny percentage of the people likely to be following the plan, I guess, but it would be interesting to know if SW have given any thought to this.

Yes, it's really important to have a decent calcium intake as a vegan, very easy to fall way too low with that once you cut out dairy.

I know there are certain dried fruits and some vegetables that contain calcium, it rather surprises me that none are listed as Hex's? Maybe this is an issue SW just aren't aware of? Vegans make up a tiny percentage of the people likely to be following the plan, I guess, but it would be interesting to know if SW have given any thought to this.

There are lots of dried fruits and nuts and pulses that you can have as a HEb, but not an A.

Hi Elizabeth,
I know it sounds weird but have you tried having orange juice on bran flakes? I tried it once & it was okay - but I love (sweetened) soya milk on cereal & in coffee so there's no need for me. Love black tea too, ordinary old black tea not your high falutin' Lady Grey!
xx

Oh dear, that's what I would have been wanting it for. I've totally gotten to love black tea (Lady Grey - delicious!), don't miss milk at all except that I do miss having my bowl of branflakes.
:)

Em, I would be surprised if you get a surprised if you get a response as this thread is from November 2009 ;)

Thought it might have been one of those forums that tells you when there's a reply.
Hope she's got to goal/target, whatever it is, by now!

Back