Syn free muffins

I couldnt find Polenta so bought wholemeal flour, does anyone know what the syn value of this before i cook them? sorry havent got the password for website to check online. :) x

It's 4.5 syns for 28 gms, so i'll come to about 3 syns each!

Ooh thank you, I can live with 3 syns for a yummy muffin!

Debatable polenta-, i have just been on sw website and wholegrain polenta is free on green and 5 on red.

I have just bought, maize flour polenta it's yellow but has no clue if it wholemeal or not can anyone help. Got it from health shop.

Polenta is sometimes called cornmeal and I have seen a fine one and a more coarse grind. Morrisons have it by the ethnic foods and I've also seen it in Tesco again by the ethnic foods.

Freezing Syn Free Muffins

Hi ,Can anyone please tell me if they have ever tried freezing the syn free muffins ( that is if the muffins have survived for that long before being eaten).

I am hoping that they can be frozen then I can make a great big batch of them to last some of the summer holidays. ( Got to have something scrummy to tuck into when the 3 kids drive me mad)

Last edited:
I made these using the course whole grain polenta and they were disgusting, really bitty. It looks like some of you have used the fine ground polenta which is not syn free?

Freezing Syn Free Muffins

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know, I made some lemon and lime muffins which were delicious.I made 36 of them, I did bag them up individually then put them in a freezer bag before putting in the freezer.

I have found they freeze successfully and just allowing them to defrost naturally didn't impact on the flavour. I am going to try making mint choc flavour nest so will let you all know how they turn out.

I have thought of some other uses..... cake for in a syn free trifle, fresh fruit flan base , base for a cheesecake.
Just have to try and keep the kids and hubby's hands off them !:family2:

I made these using the course whole grain polenta and they were disgusting, really bitty. It looks like some of you have used the fine ground polenta which is not syn free?

I've used both. The fine made them more like fairy cakes, where as the course they were more like a light scone texture. Personally I preferred the course ones.

When I did the course ones, I left the mix to stand for a while longer than it suggested in the recipe.

I'm going to try and make some savoury ones. Will post the recipe once I've tried them for anyone that's interested.

I cannot find ground polenta anywhere where I live, can I use self raising flour instead & if so do I use 225g of that & how would it affect the syns? Does anyone know?

Helppppp I really wanted to make these for the weekend:confused:

I am not sure how they would work out using self raising flour ( 4.1/2 syns for 28g on Red or Green).

I eventually found polenta in Morrisons in the Asian foods section ( by the curry sauces etc). It was produced by East End and on the bag it said Cornmeal (polenta was written in brackets underneath). It was 36p for a375g bag.

Hope this helps and if they work out using th flour I hope that you enjoy them :)

The point of using polenta is to reduce the syns, if you are going to use flour you could make "real" cakes! :p The East End foods one is the one I got in Morrison's too, but couldn't find a picture to show the packaging :(

East End Foods Cornmeal (polenta)

If you go to www.ocado.com you can do a search for cornmeal and it will show you two packs including pictures. I used the dark green one which is the coarse version.

Hope that this helps you in finding it in a shop near you.
:fingerscrossed:

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know, I made some lemon and lime muffins which were delicious.I made 36 of them, I did bag them up individually then put them in a freezer bag before putting in the freezer.

I have found they freeze successfully and just allowing them to defrost naturally didn't impact on the flavour. I am going to try making mint choc flavour nest so will let you all know how they turn out.

I have thought of some other uses..... cake for in a syn free trifle, fresh fruit flan base , base for a cheesecake.
Just have to try and keep the kids and hubby's hands off them !:family2:

how did you make the lemon and lime ones??

I grated the zest off 1 lemon and 1 lime and squeezed the juice out of both. I actually used natural yogurt instead of mullerlight because that was what I had in at the time. Made the mixture in the normal way but added the juice and zest to the mixture aswell.

Then just cooked them as normal. Even after freezing and defrosting them you could still smell the lemon and lime.

Hope you like them, I took them to my slimming class and everyone liked them.

I am going to have another go at making these (they were horrible first time round). Might try those lemon and lime ones this time.

they sound gr8 will have to try them

Back