Syn Free Onion Chutney/Marmalade

Made this about a week ago it's lovely especially with cheese lol!
My sister visited so I gave her a SW cheese scone with tomato and onion chut and as I make them about 2inch diameter (300g cottage cheese makes 24) she decided that they would make lovely canapés just a bit thinner with different toppings even if they have to be synned ! But if the buffet was your meal then Hey Ho eat and enjoy !

Made 4 smaller pots (Coleman sauces size) last month prefer evrrything in smaller pots as they keep fresh until opened. Only problem once opened they're empty ? Lol
Will need to make a batch before Christmas will be lovely with cold meat and cheese and some SYN free scones rather than crackers an easy way with other buffet type things all SW type so as long as you keep off pastries buffets don't have to be so synfull just being prepared

I had this on slices apple with cheese today! yummy Was very impressed. xxx

made this again. is so yummy.

Off to tesco in morn for cider vinegar.
Can't wait to try it. Got craving for cheese on toast but this will take it to another level.
Thanks x

Hi Everyone,

I love pickles esp branston and picalili :) however I have 2 issues that they are synned and also that I live overseas and I have to pay thru the nose to get them....so I decided to make my own onion chutney, here is my recipe:

1kg onions (? used red onions)
200ml of balsamic vinegar
300ml of apple vinegar
couple of cloves garlic
salt and pepper
5 dessertspoons granulated sweetener

I sliced the onions up small and reasonably thin, added the vinegars and sweetener and then simmered for approx one hour until the vinegar had evaporated and formed a thick sticky sauce. I then transferred into steralized jars and sealed.

In my opinion (although I am biased) its a great chutney and would liven up a chicken breast or a cheese sandwich (as I ad today!)

Claire x

I am sooooo gonna make this

Found this recipe earlier on here and have now got it bubbling away on the stove…! Cant wait! I make chutney in the autumn and I hate not being able to partake, so this could be a good one…

I have added a red chilli (deseeded) and a couple of other spices to give a small kick… will let you know what its like.

Thanks for the recipe :)
Lx

All jarred and ready to splash the chutney!! Smells amazing!

Cooking as we speak. Can't wait to try it! X

After coking 1.5hrs is still taste of pure vinegar not a sweet chutney flavour.
Followed recipe exactly apart fm white wine vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar.
Gutted. What did I do wrong???

has the vinegar cooked off? mine took a while longer than an hour, and I added a couple more tbsp of sweetener. Hope this helps?x

has the vinegar cooked off? mine took a while longer than an hour, and I added a couple more tbsp of sweetener. Hope this helps?x

Stirred in lots more sweetner but still not right. Letting it cool and see what tastes like then.

The whole house (including my coat which was hung in the kitchen!) smells of full on vinegar!
I left mine to cool over night was much more chutney like this morning. I have made other chutneys before and found similar - they are often better when more mature.
Fingers crossed!

a few of you are saying that your chutneys are very vinegary is the sweetener you are using sucralose or aspartime based aspartime based sweeteners lose some of their sweetness when cooked i have found

i have just made some onion chutney but put in a little passata and only used balsamic and its v tasty just had some sliced apple with cheese and my chutney on it .....FANTASTIC

I had a quick look at my sweetener and it is a sucralose based one - I get it in Aldi.
The chutney is delish, and a perfect accompaniment!

I love this it's just what I need to stop me reaching for normal ones or ketchup. Thanks to the op for the recipe though as someone else mentioned the smell does linger on clothes, hair and in the house. Worth it though. :)

Back