Text typing!

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by malaika, 11 April 2010 Social URL.

1. malaika

malaika Lover of Extra Easy

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8lb(22.22%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Sorry if this offends people that type as if they were texting, but it is a serious bug bear of mine!
    I understand people abbreviating when texting, for financial reasons (I still write correctly though) but why do people use that when posting on a forum? It is not going to cost more. Is it laziness?
    It may take a mili second to type two or too instead of 2, or back instead of bk. I often have to read posts a few times to try and make sense of what is typed.
    I have had business e-mails when people used text type and, as far as I am concerned there is no excuse for that!
    Does anyone get as annoyed as me?
    Perhaps I am just old fashioned. :eek:

suepat10 likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Harry'sMom07

Harry'sMom07 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st3.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5.5lb(2.76%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    No, you're not old fashioned! I HATE it too. To me, it's pure laziness and I find it very sad that so many of today's younger generation (god, I sound like my Nan - I'm only 33!!) are unable to write and spell properly and can only communicate in 'txt spk'. I actually find it very hard to read!

4. KittyBling

KittyBling Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st1lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(14.22%)
    Diet:
    Every Other Day Diet
    I am with you too, it drives me insane. Sometimes I put items on freecycle and if people reply in text speak, or with no capital letters or punctuation, I automatically exclude them from getting the item.

5. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    With you 100% I detest it in texts but on forums it drives me mad. There have been members on here who have done whole posts in text speak and quite honestly I dont even read them. Theres nothing to be gained by text speak when youre sitting using a keyboard

6. Devon Dolce

Devon Dolce 1lb at a time!

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.33%)
    Wot do u mean tht u dnt like txt spk??!!

Totally with you on this one! Admittedly I can be a little lazy with some words but for those that do it all the time... Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Jane Austen will all be turning in their graves xxx

7. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It's such a bug bear of mine too.

I don't even bother reading the post, it just takes to much concentration & I just can't be bothered.

8. sarahm85

sarahm85 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4.5lb(18.57%)
    Diet:
    WW Online
    I'm a trainee teacher, and I'm obsessed with good grammar, spelling and punctuation. To be honest I hardly write in text speak when texting! Children today have awful grammar and spelling, so many write as they do when texting or using MSN - drives me up the wall! :mad:

9. Littleslimmingbee

Littleslimmingbee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Oo, i think i may be at fault with this sometimes.. and i have to admit it's pure laziness. I type at the speed of lightening so i don't know why i bother to 'text type' sometimes.. I think it's habit .. ( however you should read some of my OH's texts.. i honestly can't understand it sometimes!) my text typing is only an occasional word here or there, so i hope you'l let me off :p - because you love me so *flutters eye lashes.. * x

10. malaika

malaika Lover of Extra Easy

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8lb(22.22%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I am so glad I am not the only one!
    I think a lot of us make some grammatical or spelling errors, but that's just fine it's the text speak that truly makes me grrrrrr. I think it's best for me to just ignore those posts, to keep my sanity!

Awww Fern, I don't mean you... I have never even noticed text speak from you...
    after all you are an angel, and angels don't do text speak...so you are let off, eyelashes and all, and yep I love you so :D:D

11. julie19

julie19 Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimmingworld
    Nope you are not being old fashioned - I am the same - it drives me nuts sometimes (and I have to admit that sometimes I can't figure out what someone is saying either...), if you want to write then do it with proper words & sentences!

12. Eclipse

Eclipse Gold Member

No you are not alone, it drives me insane as well and I like others, don't even bother trying to understand what some people are trying to say in their posts, it can be very hard work sometimes to try and work it all out. There is no excuse for it within the forum x

13. Debs154

Debs154 Trying again!!

Start Weight:
    13st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    Yes I'm with you on this one - it's a debate I have quite often with people and have heard the argument that language evolves - always has done and always will - if you look at the way Shakespeare wrote it can be difficult to understand! I can barely understand what my 14 year old granddaughter is talking about when she texts (although I love the fact that she does!)

I am guilty of using 'lol' though and abbreviating but I tend to punctuate if I do - as in tho'

I also have to return and edit a post for a typo sometimes too!

14. suepat10

suepat10 I am one of the 63336

Start Weight:
    20st3lb
    Current Weight:
    20st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I agree with you 100%. I usually write texts 'long hand' aswell.

15. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I am amazed to read all these posts and find that so many people feel the same as I do. I thought it was just me!

I can just about accept it in text messages as they are not usually too long - although I never do it myself and mostly my text messages have correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.

If I see a posting here which is in "text speak" then I usually don't bother to read it. It's the same with abbreviations - half the time I don't know what people mean by them. I am sorry, but I just assume that the writers don't care whether they are understood or not, so why should I bother?

I too check my messages on forums, and will go back and edit them if there are errors, or if when I read them again they don't quite sound the way I meant them to.

All of which probably makes me sound very pedantic and boring. If so - good!!

16. Littleslimmingbee

Littleslimmingbee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Hehe, i know i know.. so angelic i truely am, its hard to believe i would occasionally do such a thing! Love to you also ! xx

Debs, my youngest sister is 13 and since i'v moved from home she occasionally text messages me to keep in touch, i end up reading it over 4-5 times, it would appear even what i concider 'text talk' is 'long hand' now, i can't make sence of anything she says.. its like everything is triple shortened! lol

17. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    What I cant fathom out is the text speak which isnt actually any shorter than the way the word should be spelled... what the heck is the point in that lol

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Debs154

Debs154 Trying again!!

Start Weight:
    13st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    Yes Starlight - letters added on to the end of every word as in

'Who aree youu ?' - what's that all about?

20. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

I really don't like it and I think we are in danger of breeding a generation of poor spellers. I just don't see the need for it.
    Grumble grumble.....

21. Shirleen

Shirleen Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    21st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(2.77%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Oh it drives me crackers! I might occasionally shorten a word or use a variation in spelling to make it obvious I am joking, because forum conversations are often misconstrued, and it's best to make it VERY obvious that you are speaking ironically, or being sarcastic (about the subject not at the person).

I deleted my niece from Facebook, because she typed nonsense!

22. icklerockchick

icklerockchick slow but steady!

Start Weight:
    12st1lb
    Current Weight:
    9st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st6.5lb(20.41%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Oops I am bad for it! Will try to do better, just so out of the habit of typing properly. Sorry folks!

Much calm down on my overuse of exclamation marks also!!!!!!!!!

I remember a girl that I went to University with told her mum that she could miss out some vowels when texting, that was what young people did and that she would still be understood. However her mum took it a step too far and removed EVERY vowel from her texts that she sent. It was hilarious trying to work out what she meant, and seriously hard work!

X

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.