Text typing!

I am always so fascinated at how fast these school children can text, their fingers seem to fly over the phone keypad - it take's me ages just to write a basic text message, LOL.....

I am always so fascinated at how fast these school children can text, their fingers seem to fly over the phone keypad - it take's me ages just to write a basic text message, LOL.....

I know someone who can send a text message while the phone is still in his pocket!!

It is a question of what you learn to do when you are young. When I had students doing work experience with me, they could not understand how I could type fast without ever looking at the keyboard. It's because at secretarial college I learned to type on an old fashioned manual typewriter with covers on the keys!

As well as not being taught spelling or grammar or punctuation, children are not usually taught how to touch type - despite the fact that they are using computer keyboards. Even though we are often told that keyboards are going to be a thing of the past, they are still with us, and being able to type properly is so useful.

Mines habit I'm afraid learnt from another forum because everyone used it. Also I'm a terriable speller not from lack of trying I have spent year trying to improve my spelling and writing.
Plus the worse thing is I guess I live in nottingham and alot people speak in shortern versions of words and I used to think I didn't speak that way but working in a mainly young male job its sneaked it.
I'd hate to think my post weren't being read because of it though.

I laughing as i'm reading this, as I'm 21 and find it difficult to read a text from my aunt... SHE'S 46!
Everyone has said about it being the younger generation that "short hand" everything, but in my case it's reversed. I do use "lol" though I must admit... and my brother has got me typing in "nerd" lately, with words like N00B and PWND (This comes from spending way too much time on Youtube)... I seem to "..." alot too... don't know why... I'm annoying myself now... :p

Last edited:
I must say that I don't like reading text speak in the forum. It grates on me a bit. Like others have said, I generally text with proper language and punctuation. My way of thinking is that since the content is crap at least the spelling and punctuation should be correct :rotflmao:

Text speak in texts is not a problem, I'd rather be getting texts that I have to decipher from young family than no texts at all :D

I don't get up in arms about it all, it's just one of those vague irritants. A bit like a fly buzzing around the room, vaguely annoying but not worth getting up to deal with it.

this post amuses me as i am a culprit of texty speak!

hope i dont offend you all with it though....

Sorry :(

and my brother has got me typing in "nerd" lately, with words like N00B and PWND (This comes from spending way too much time on Youtube)... I seem to "..." alot too... don't know why... I'm annoying myself now... :p

Now I am guessing Noob is newbie? But what is PWND??? :confused:

We have a running joke in our family - when we text, and the predictive text system doesn't recognise a name and puts in something else, we keep using that word instead.

So my name - Avis - got translated in predictive text to Bugs, so that's what I get called.

And a town we visited will forever be known as Chirping Campden instead of Chipping Campden.

Daft, but fun!

oh good it's not just me! i don't mind abreviations (is that spelt right?!) but HATE text speak.

PWND is actually 'Owned' which basically means 'gutted'!

i don't mind things like TBH and FYI and TTFN etc, but it's things that read like 'i h8 tsdays, rll on 2moro' GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But then why does "gutted" mean "gutted" - if you see what I mean!!!

Oscar Wilde said something about England and America being two countries separated by the same language - I wonder what he would have made of all this!!!

We have a running joke in our family - when we text, and the predictive text system doesn't recognise a name and puts in something else, we keep using that word instead.

So my name - Avis - got translated in predictive text to Bugs, so that's what I get called.

And a town we visited will forever be known as Chirping Campden instead of Chipping Campden.

Daft, but fun!

my sister and her friend call me lymp because lyns comes up as lymp in predictive text

my sister is suzy which comes up as puzz

Back