The last stone mission......ROLL UP!!!!

Thanks a lot for that... I have no idea whether we can find Splenda (or equivalent) over here (or Corn Flour come to that!).

I'm sure you can get Splenda, someone mentioned Leclerc stocking it, and cornflour goes under the brand maizena I think. Your food laws don't allow the advertising of Splenda, but as a sweetener I prefer it to aspartame and think it is much healthier.

Can I join as well I have started eating because of BMI around 1200 a day now but finding it hard. Keep baking low fat soggy in the middle blueberry cake and rather than think hey one slice is only 50 cal I eat half the cake! oh well. Not put on but I know I can't keep this up. Have 1 stone to loose :break_diet:

A positively November-like day here today, with gusty wind and drizzling rain. Delightful.

hi Bunny and welcome - the more the merrier. Well done on your weight loss and the photos are amazing! Are you sure you need to lose another stone? (I know... everyone says that!) This last stone really is the worst one to lose and how stupid of me to put myself in the position of having to lose it twice! Is this your first week of "eating"?

Claire - how interesting re food laws over here. I've never looked for that sort of thing, I admit. (I was either a full sugar girl or no sugar!)

I find keeping daily food menus on here helps to keep me on the straight and narrow(ish), so here's today's plan:

B: 1/2 grapefruit
2oz homemade muesli; 1oz Fitnesse flakes and half ss milk / half water

L: chicken with salad
1 Taillefine yoghurt

Snack: 1 apple

D: homecured lean bacon with salad

3L water

(I make that about 1,150 ish, say 1,300 to allow for errors!)

Pretty chilly here too but not actually raining for a change. I keep checking the forecast for our holiday and more rain clouds creep in each time I look! So I'm packing fleeces and waterproofs.

Hi Bunny, welcome to the thread. I seem to have been on this slog for ever, just don't lose weight the way I used to. Blueberry cake sounds good, does it freeze? I have to shove cake slices into the freezer to prevent "evaporation". I wish I was one of those people who preferred savoury stuff. Did you do a vlcd till now?

Joanne, when I discovered Splenda I was thrilled to have a sweetener I could bake with which wasn't aspartame based. It does have some calories, but nothing like the real thing. Do you ever look at recipes on Recettes de cuisine faciles (en photos), recettes de cuisine, familiales, fiches techniques,forums de cuisine.:: They have a huge diet section and you'd actually be able to buy the ingredients they talk about.

Well it is supposed to be an UD but I am going to try for a high protein intermediate day. Weight at 10st again, but measurements down a little. I am so scared I'll put back everything I've lost while we are away.

Claire - it's interesting when you advise Bunny not to lose weight the way you used to. Care to elaborate? One thing I have noticed on this site, where people predominantly lose weight with VLCDs, is that too many people seem to use the packs when they regain weight and do "ss" as a short term fix. Then of course regain and get straight back on the roundabout... I say nothing of course for fear of being lynched!!

To be honest re cooking with sugar or Splenda, I'm such an all or nothing person, I'm either eating FULL SUGAR CAKES... or not touching them. I must consider that there could be an interim measure... something for my brain to work on.

My weight is back at 11 stone, so I guess my experiment isn't working either (possibly due to excessive cherry consumption though, so I'll continue...). Won't change ticker until tomorrow, official weigh in day, and see (hope?) for a sudden drop!

Last edited:
Oops, I didn't realise it could be interpreted like that, I meant I don't lose like I used to! VLCD's are great for getting a lot of weight off quickly, you get used to it with the help of ketosis and don't have to worry about food. But I am convinced they slow your metabolism and you lose some muscle. So when you start eating again it is very easy to put weigh back on. I read a book which claimed that you should have a stabilisation phase after your diet which lasts 10 days for every kilo lost, this being the time it takes to get your metabolism back to normal.

It seems like lots of people are having trouble losing at the moment, I blame the weather. We ought to be using calories keeping cool by now, but it hasn't got hot enough for that. That's my excuse anyway.

aaah I see what you mean, Claire... my comments still stand though as I do see a lot of sole sourcing going on to relose that last stone again that's been regained!!

You could be right. I know that I'm eating properly, with a few extra cherries, but no reason whatsoever to keep yoyoing up and down a pound! I guess as we get older (grrr), those pounds become more stubborn. Like you though, I wanted to be lower than this before going on holiday because while I don't plan a total free for all on holiday, I do want to enjoy (some of!) my favourite food...

That French recipe site is fabulous. I've been browsing. I laughed at their quiche receipe, something I used to make each weekend at maintenance (before I quit smoking). We'd have quarter each twice... their recipe says "250 cals" per portion, so I thought I'd write it down, then I saw that they cut their quiche in EIGHT portions!! Oops not for greedy people then!!

I've even wondered about getting tested for hypothyroidism as that is a common syndrome and causes tiredness and weight gain. But I don't have any other specific symptoms, which suggests this probably isn't the cause.

Glad you liked the site, I often look there for inspiration although I find their obsession with table decor a bit too much to take. You have a point there with portion sizes, I've heard that they have grown dramatically over the years and if we could accustom ourselves just to eating a bit less of everything we'd be fine. It's just doing it that's the problem.

Is today not "go on holiday" day, Claire? (Lucky you!!) I do hope you have a fabulous time, forget the dieting, and we'll get back to basics end July when you get back... just watch the carbs on the "up" days if you continue with Judding. Now that you've mentioned tiredness, I know that too many white carbs definitely do this to me.

I didn't notice table decor but did find the site a little frustrating when lots of the recipes were "serves 8". So I make it for the two of us and have it three times? Or have to freeze things. Fair enough if I can split recipe quantities in half, but not always possible... I think, as you spotted, that you can just use your "normal" recipe, with some obvious switches, and eat smaller portion.

Another grey gloomy day so hard to believe that tomorrow is actually going to be sunny and warm! (Typical that I'll be shut in a hairdresser's all morning tomorrow!)

Taillefine yoghurt
1 x small boiled egg

L: chicken piece with lots of undressed salad, spoonful coleslaw
Taillefine yoghurt

D: 50g lean ham with yet more undressed salad, spoonful coleslaw

3L water

Not a great weigh in - dead on 11 stone - so that's 1.5lbs UP since last Friday... I deserved a little, as had treats at the weekend and lots of cherries, but I was careful Mon to Thurs and lost little!

BUT I am wearing my jeans - not my smallest, but they are size 12... (with some stretch, thank you Marks & Spencer!)

I had a good (ish) weekend on the food front. I did have some chocolate last night and some icecream with my strawberries but all very restrained and definitely not a binge type atmosphere.

If anyone's still on the thread, here's my daily food thread, and you?

Taillefine yoghurt
1 boiled egg

L: chicken with ratatouille and a few steamed carrots and green beans
Taillefine yoghurt

D: 100g mozzarella salad
100g cherries

3L water

Hi everyone

Just got back this morning, I just didn't have time to check in while we were away, the only internet access we had was in whatever local espace internet we could find and work emails came first. We had a lovely holiday, even if it rained rather more than July should! We did change plans in the second week, we were heading for the Cotentin peninsula but the forecast was terrible so we stayed down near Avranches and it was lovely there.

Of course I ate far too much, despite good intentions it is not practical when you are eating out a lot. So tomorrow I will check the scales and fess up. Then straight on with the DD.

Joanne, how was your holiday? You were so right about the quatorze juillet, we camped at a municipal site and they had fireworks at 11.00pm then an open air disco till 2.00am, and after that a load of teenagers stayed at the camp site and made a lot of noise. I was delighted when the thunder started at 4.00am, at least it quietened them down a bit (not much as they were up vomiting at 6.00am!).

OK - bad news is I'm up about 4lbs after my holiday. Current weight 10st4.25lbs. Today is a DD and I think my UDs will have to be a bit more controlled, maybe have one a week where I eat freely and otherwise cap at about 1800 cals. I've noticed the JUDDDD thread has gone very quiet now, I know Anja is on holiday but I hope it doesn't mean everyone has given up.

So today's menu is same old routine, strawberries, prawn salad, bran galette with chicken. And treats of mini soleros and fromage blanc cake.

Hope the mission is going better for everyone else.

hi Claire and welcome back!

Today's my first day back in the office and things are a bit manic cos so many staff are absent.

Suffice to say that I completely lost the plot on holiday as per usual and have actually removed the battery from my scales so that I don't have to see the damage. I just "know" anyway from my clothes that it's BAD... very bad...

So straight back in the saddle today and, apart from a meal or two out (alas) with my father and girlfriend who will be here for four days from Thursday visiting me, I'm back with a vengeance.

I've just seen a horrible photo of myself with white jeans on where my tummy looks DREADFUL and that was near the beginning of my holiday!

B: 1 low calorie yoghurt, 1 boiled egg, few plums, 1 apricot

L: chicken with homemade ratatouille and HOME GROWN green beans and carrots (am I proud or what!)
1 low calorie yoghurt

D: mozzarella cheese with cucumber, celery and HOME GROWN spring onions, lettuce, beetroot and tomatoes (ooh and basil too from my garden)!

Snack: 1 nectarine

3L water <-- something I never got near on holiday (why?!)

I've not had a chance to look round to see how anyone else is doing and had better get back to work now. See you tomorrow Claire but I'm determined to stay off those scales for a while as they can send me "the other way"! (When a little voice suggested I should put off my restart until AFTER my family's visit, I knew I couldn't listen!!)

I'm not brave enough for white trousers yet, although I did buy a white skirt and jacket from Camaieu, down from 75 euros to 26.80, how could I resist? Jacket size 12 and slightly cosy across the chest (but I don't have to do it up) and skirt a 10 with a nice fit on the hips. I love that shop, wish we had a branch here.

I've been really good on my DD, will end up at 514 calories. Tomorrow will be the test, why is 1800 harder than 525? I've had a good dance class, until the end when I stubbed a toe, bent the nail back and now have a lovely blood blister under the nail. Ouch. I must dig out my darkest nail varnish to cover up.

You are right to be proud of your home grown produce, DH was thrilled to see his artichokes are coming into flower. We are not supposed to eat them the first year, but surely just one or two can't hurt. And they are so pricey on the market.

Meals out are a problem, although if you stick to low carb options it shouldn't be too bad. This is coming from someone who ate whatever she fancied while on holiday, who am I to give advice. I feel very ambivalent towards my scales too, but I am scared I will overeat if I don't use them. They are worse with JUDDD than other diets, the fluctuations are misleading. After a DD you weigh less from the small amount of food consumed and then think you can eat a lot on the UD.

Time for coffee and bed, see you in the morning.

Just weighed after my first DD and I am only three quarters of a pound up on my last pre-hols post DD weight. Happy dance!!

Crikey that is an EXCELLENT result Claire! Well done you! I can see that you didn't eat as many loaves of bread and packs of butter on holiday as I did (why?!!)...

I did feel hungry yesterday but finished the day at around 1,000. I'm having 1,400 ish today, so will "judd" my own way for now. I'm wearing a pair of trousers I couldn't do up yesterday, albeit with a well hidden under smock top, muffin overhang (ugh!!!)...

When you say "size 12" and "size 10", I'm presuming you bought them over here, so you're talking which sizes exactly over here? Clothes sizes vary so much everywhere that it's so hard to know what size equates to what. "The French" (how I hate that generalisation!) tend to have large waists and small hips and be more apple shaped, whereas I'm a distinct pear so I tend to find waist sizes too big here and hips a bit snug!

I'm guzzling away at the old H20 today... amazing how rarely I bothered with water on holiday.

Re family visit - low carb is something which just isn't particularly catered for here and "all in" menus tend to be meat + carbs oriented with few if any veg. I won't even kid myself or you I'll not eat a dessert I've paid for either... but it'll be two x dinners over the weekend, and by restarting yesterday rather than waiting for next Monday once they've gone, at least I won't gain any more...

To put it into perspective, I've just heard that one of my quit smoking buddies is back on the weed. In seven days (and counting), it'll be six months for me... and to say that I don't crave the odd one would also be a lie, so fortunately better I overeat sporadically methinks than go back to being a 30 a day smoker!

Last edited:
Your quitting smoking is an amazing achievement, a few pounds on and off is nothing compared with that. Added onto the massive weight loss you achieved a few years ago, your self discipline is admirable. My DH quit smoking 9 years ago and it took him over a year before he could really concentrate properly again, it is not an easy route but the benefits make it so worthwhile.

I'm hoping that the recent break from dieting will actually help my future losses, a period of normal eating (well, rather in excess of normal if I'm honest) will make the diet more effective. Possibly. I hope you find the same, it sounds like any gain you had might be temporary too.

My suit was marked in UK sizes as well as continental, so the skirt was a French 38 and the jacket a 40. You're right about the waist sizes, the skirt is slightly loose on the waist, but it has a belt and I can always take it in if necessary. I got lured into the sales again today, looking for shoes to match the new suit, and I ended up buying an olive green trouser suit. Still haven't got the shoes so that means more high risk shopping trips - but it has to be a good substitute for eating, right?

Formule menus do rather encourage eating everything possible, and I couldn't turn down a dessert to save my life. But a high protein starter, without the bread, and a fruit based dessert might save the day. You'll be a few days ahead of the game by restating your diet now. When will you be daring the scales again?

I'm carefully counting everything I eat today, it is bringing home to me that maybe I was eating way too much on UDs before. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes after a week or two.

Thanks for the kind words in your first paragraph Claire, but I admit that I am a bit panicked at how frequently (since quitting smoking) I seem to lose the plot foodwise!

I braved the scales this morning, although official restart weight has to be Monday 30th cos of meals out this weekend. 11 stone 12lbs so (so far) 15lb gain in 2 weeks. Amazing huh?! Only I can do that!

I tend to be a size 42 here, sometimes 40 when down to low 10 stone somethings and wear size 12 in the UK... obviously some exceptions in each country, but I know that M&S used to mark their sizes "14 UK / 42 EU" which was blatantly wrong. The size 14s my sister has kindly lent me to get through this FAT period are HUGE compared to my size 42s bought here...

It's amazing how careful counting, weighing, recording for a short period of time can bring us to realise how we had been either underestimating portion size / calorie content etc OR, as you are finding with your UD, that you just ate too much perhaps every other day to get a weight loss...

We'll get there - trial and error - and my next holiday isn't until September 7th evening so I have errr five full weeks from next Monday's weigh in. (Yikes, hope that's long enough!)

I don't believe it, surely that gain must be largely water? Otherwise it would mean you overate to the tune of 3000 calories over daily requirement, I doubt that is physically possible on a daily basis! I'm sure it will drop away quickly as you get back into the diet. Do you weigh all your food and count the calories for everything or rely on keeping to small portions of low calorie foods?

English clothes sizes have grown recently, I am certain of it. The jacket and trousers I bought yesterday were size 12 and 10 respectively, and fitted well. Now I am about 38"-38.5" bust and hips, and a few years back that would have made me a 14 at least. I reckon it is a cynical ploy by manufacturers who realise the customer will buy something that makes them think they are a smaller size than they really are.

I'm afraid you are right about my overeating, I was obviously giving myself too much free rein on my UDs! Today, after a day which probably came out around 1750 (I wasn't too accurate), I am down slightly at 9st13.5lbs. I love those days when you dip under the barrier like that. Fingers crossed I keep on in this direction, although I suspect the rest of the week won't see much improvement. I'm aiming to keep under 10st by Tuesday morning, that will be back on track from before my holiday.

Have a good day, hope it is warmer for you than our chilly grey day here.

Back