The last stone mission......ROLL UP!!!!

Goodness - what a palaver re your keys but what a relief to have found them so comparatively early in the weekend! The alternative would have been dreadful! Keys in pockets aren't the best idea, although that's exactly what the police told me I ought to have done when I had my bag snatched once!

Your weight sounds excellent to me. 1.5lb I can put on just LOOKING through the boulangerie window, so I'm sure you'll get that off sharpish with your exercise and cycling routine.

I must admit, and I'm not sure whether you're finding the same thing, that exercising in the "autumn/winter" isn't going to be nearly as much fun as in the summer! Not only because of the obvious but I'm finding that I'm leaving home in the morning and finding the temperature pretty low, so I'm snuggling into my jacket and scarf and striding out for my 30 mins walk. Half way, I'm opening my jacket and unwrapping my scarf and then I arrive here HOT and SWEATY! Not the best way to start a day and I hate the thought of "drying off" here!! haaaa! I'm certainly not looking for an excuse to not do this exercise, as I do enjoy it, love my Ipod more and more, and feel more relaxed and happy when I do walk to on a rainy morning when I obviously can't...

Fair enough - I don't know enough about dogs to know anything about behavioural issues. Cats are definitely easier (says she who was cleaning up "poo" from the bidet at bedtime last night! WHY??!!)

question for you Claire: do you recall an earthenware (orange!) cooking pot with a lid which was popular perhaps in the '80s from Germany with a funny name (Rumpelk***f? or similar)? I have "inherited" one, but can't remember its name, so haven't a clue how to use it... any ideas? Googling permutations of that name hasn't so far helped!

Oooh yes, Rumtopf wasn't it? Meant to be for making some fruit and alcohol combination, never tried it myself. I had to laugh at your cat's antics, I'm sure it was no fun at the time. Dogs have very different characteristics of behaviour depending on breed, so there are quite a few which would not suit us.

I have just had a nightmare trip back from work, the weather is awful so I drove and three have been loads of accidents blocking half the roads in town. So I couldn't take my normal route home, tried the bypass and that was closed, had to cut through country roads and then got a puncture and had to get David to come out and rescue me, which he kindly did but is now terribly grumpy.

Weight was down to my maximum level this morning, so I will try to shift a bit to get back near the bottom of the range. Exercise can get tough when it is cold and miserable, no cycling when it is like this. But dance classes are still good, I really enjoyed last night's, it is a chance to exercise with friends too which makes quite a difference.

I'm confused because I looked up Rumkopf and the photos I've seen online don't resemble it in the slightest, and I had a vague memory of my Mum roasting a chicken in it (and that certainly wouldn't be what a Rumkopf from what I've read...). A mystery... something else to clutter my cupboards!

Rotten weather here today earlier, but bright and sunny now, but still chilly... roll on the appartment and office building putting the heating on... brrr!

Speak tomorrow - sorry busy!
x

Not feeling too good today, bad head verging on a migraine so I am staying in tonight. Hot bath and early to bed sounds good to me. My weight was stable this morning after an UD yesterday, all good, and I'm hoping to be down a bit tomorrow.

It's chilly here too, I've got the heating on at home now and in the office. I held out as long as I could then thought why suffer, OK it costs but it is better than being cold and miserable.

I won't type long, looking at the screen is making me queasy, time for my bath. Speak to you tomorrow.

Oh dear - sorry to hear you're under the weather. Feeling any brighter today? I do hope so.

Over here, I continue to freeze. At home, we can't turn the heating on in the building (it's a high rise and the resident's committee set a date, and it's usually October 15!). At work, they've not yet turned it on either, so I'm freezing... ever cold since losing my weight, this is pure purgatory and I'm not enjoying this weather at all.

Worse still, this coming weekend is a city one AND the weather's getting colder still... at least in the country we can build a fire! R has suggested doing same in the corner of the flat, and I'm not far from accepting!!

Aside from that, PP day today and quite happy to be eating gambas, fresh tuna steak and chicken... ooh with a soft boiled egg. YUM! I'd miss crunching if I did them too often but, as a treat, this is nice!

Getting dressed for the office is becoming challenging: my "fat trousers" are now far too big, yet my "last year's winter trousers" are still uncomfortably tight looking, or feeling... My summer wardrobe must have more "give" to it... so I must continue looking like a bag lady synched in at the waist with a belt! Not a look I particularly favour as an ex-super obese person, so that's great motivation to get these last few pounds off!

Hi, I didn't get on here this afternoon as we went into town to get a few things. I'm much better today, I think I got dehydrated which brought on the sickness. The heating at work is a combined aircon and heating system which blows hot air around. Not particularly healthy. So today I made an effort to drink water at my desk, not easy for me but something I should try to do anyway.

Can you run fan heaters at home for a bit of extra heat? I feel the cold badly and this last couple of days have had to have the heating on. Our house is too old for things like cavity walls, and only has double glazing at the back. A sedentary job doesn't help much either, and I haven't cycled at all this week because the weather has been horrid.

I'm having wardrobe problems too, I really need some work trousers but can't find any I like. I would happily make them but have to find fabric that I like. All too much for me at the minute, I don't seem to have enough time to get everything done.

Weight was down again this morning by a pound, I'm hoping I can get to Monday morning without going over my maximum, but I have been a bit naughty today so may not be so lucky.

Oooooh it's suddenly started pourrring with rain - damnit! What is going on! 10 minutes ago it was gloriously sunny...

I have managed a walk each morning on the way to work but half the distance I used to given the dark threatening clouds overhead! Walking up the C has actually been very pleasant this week as they've been setting up an aviation exhibit and lots of little planes are "parked" there...

What do you wear at work? Suits? Here it's very casual, fortunately (today jeans and a rather bobbly I've noticed lambswool sweater!), and I can wear separates and never ever wear skirts! Used to change my flat trainer type walking shoes when I arrived but usually forget these days (although do have an assortment to change into if need be!). I'd never come to work without makeup on though - that goes without saying!

Weight fine - still 3lbs to go to pre-holiday weight but winter clothes not being very acceptant of the fact! My jeans are feeling decidedly tight still alas. Perhaps we put weight on in different areas at times? I've probably got thinner fingers and a bigger belly! GREAT!

Have a great if cold and rainy weekend! We're hoping to find an oxtail at the butcher's tonight to make a BIG pot of soup!
x

Hi, haven't got on here in ages it seems, never time at work and today I started working again as soon as I got home (after grabbing a quick salad). It was nice enough to cycle this morning, but gloves were needed as the air was decidedly chilly. We even had a ground frost at the weekend. Your morning walk mus be rather enjoyable, especially if there are new things to look at from time to time. The little planes sound fun, is there any particular reason for the display?

There isn't any dress policy at work, but we try to look smartish, so trousers are OK but not jeans or shorts, it is fairly easy to decide what is suitable and what isn't. I don't do make-up on an everyday basis, never got into the habit. I managed to find some work trousers in M&S this weekend, and some jeans which actually fitted - they do have some stretch to them. And I bought a new fleece, but that is for home wear or cycling.

Did you find your oxtail? I can't remember when I last used one, they were unobtainable during the BSE crisis because of containing spinal cord. Hope you had a good weekend, I was home alone and it seemed very strange without Cassie.

I'm avoiding the scales for a couple of days, this weekend went off track a bit. I'm trying to make an eating policy of making sure I have at least 5 portions of f&v on an UD in the hope they will quell other cravings, which are psychological rather than physical of course, nothing to do with hunger. Dancing tonight, always a good way to use calories and prevent myself consuming them.

Gosh I'm guilty too of not making it on here yesterday - my weekend was good in that I didn't binge, but bad in that I ate far too much in quantity so managed to gain weight! The butcher didn't have oxtail but suggested that we give him four days' notice next time, which we'll do last weekend in October when we're next in the city at the weekend to make a soup.

So I made a vat of veg soup instead and now, ironically, it's turned mild here so I froze most of it for a colder time. Also, even more ironically, having been very cold both at work and the flat for a few weeks now, the heating has come on in both places - and it's now SWELTERING! 21°C this afternoon and heating on! BOF!

When eating healthily, I probably manage 8 or 10 portions of f+v, more v than f these days too since watching the glucide content. But of course they're always the first thing I drop when I lose the plot!

I am sorry about Cassie... you must miss her company terribly... I do hope you take another little one on as she'd be very lucky to have you and you'd find her a great comfort, I know...

Wow - 8-10 f&v is impressive. I'm never quite certain what constitutes a portion but think I do about 5 on a DD (very little fruit) and anywhere on an UD. That's where I'm trying to get more in. I'm sure planning like you do is the answer, I think I shall sit down this weekend and try to do menus for the following week. One problem is I'm such a terrible one for using leftovers, so I don't know what I'll be making until I see what we've got.

We will definitely get another dog, when the time feels right. I did go and browse some puppy pictures at the weekend - Dutch ones so I couldn't actually have one. I have a soft spot for Bouviers, sadly they are rare here and likely to be too inbred to be healthy.

Isn't that always the way with heating, but I do envy your temperature rise, here it is very chilly still. And I can set the thermostats at home and at work so never need be too hot or cold.

I must get on with some things, I get a night in tonight but seem to have a long list of things to do so time to get started. First job though is to check my inbox, I enquired about an accordion for sale on Ebay and am hoping for a reply.

Hi there, I had a site bookmarked which showed what exactly constituted a portion of each vegetable, but it's expired now. If you google it, you'll find it. It's not that difficult actually. Provided one has vegetables or salad accompanying one's lunch and dinner, and has a couple of pieces of fruit per day, even a fruit juice, it's quite easy. (None of these things I of course would even THINK of wasting my time on when bingeing. So silly!). As for using leftovers, me too - always - but I even plan their use... so if I'm roasting one day, say, with veggies, I know I can prepare plenty with a view to making [whatever] with them the next day...

I go for ease every time so tend to steam three or four fresh veg for a couple of lunches and/or dinner

We have a lovely sunny day which has got out pleasantly warm for a change, makes me feel so much happier. Last day without the boss at work today, so tomorrow will be ultra hectic, I haven't done most of the things he wanted because I've been busy with other urgent stuff. Can't be helped, he'll just have to accept it.

I usually have salad at lunchtime whether Up or Down, just have some bread with it on UDs. My downfall is nibbling, particularly biscuits, I thought if I planned menus and included a biscuit "allowance" I could keep it under control. It would be easy to say I just won't buy any but that doesn't deal with the problem longterm.

Tonight I am going to see a show with some friends, it's called Boogie Nights and I don't know much about it except it is set in the 70s. Should be a fun evening.

Hope you are OK. We are having cold nights with bright sunny days, hope this lasts for the weekend. I am finished for the week now, with a reading for our pantomime tonight and no big plans for the next couple of days.

I've been trying harder on the diet front, I'm realising how much I had let things slide. All the little extras do add up. So I'm going to be sensible for a while and try to get a few pounds off so I feel "right" again.

Have a super weekend, speak to you on Monday.

hello Claire and sorry for being MOA... partly due to an office move, partly due to suddenly being busy (so you put the two together, and the stress got to me!!). I'm supposed to be working for someone new from today, and I have simply waved at him as I ran past, so that's it for now!!

The "good" thing about this stress is that I don't seem to be having urges at the moment, which is GREAT! I didn't weigh myself either, as would still like ideally to concentrate on how I feel and how I'm behaving rather than what the numbers are saying... but of course I only get into this mindset when all is well in the world. Such complicated creatures we are...

Very mild here. 23°C today. I'm sweltering in quite thick Gap black jeans and long sleeved tshirt. If I didn't know it was October, and all would change imminently, I'd iron some summer clothes tonight!

Have you ever seen individually wrapped biscuits? They could be a solution! That way you just have however many without the rest of the packet calling... R opened some at the weekend and I told him I didn't even want to see what he'd opened so that we would remain strangers!
x

Hi, your life sounds very hectic, makes me dread our planned office move, should be some time in the Spring. You are doing well on the food front, not weighing is what I want to get back to, but last time everything went pear shaped so I'm not ready for that yet.

Individual wrappings could be the answer, I do have a heat sealer so could wrap them myself. I am thinking of having a carb curfew, nothing after 8.00pm, works for some I believe. Only problem would be nights like last night when I was at dancing until 8.30 and ate when I got home, I can't eat beforehand as dancing on a full (or even slightly filled) stomach is a bad idea.

I've just bought myself an accordion, or agreed to buy one to be more precise. The guy was very helpful, knows a lot about the instruments and has a shop where he does repairs etc. I'm sending off a cheque this afternoon. So that we be another hobby to occupy my fingers, I can't eat biscuits while playing an accordion can I?

I think the problem with our office move was that it had been supposed to happen end Aug, then mid-Sept, and with the renovation works being behind schedule, we ended up moving before they're finished simply because our lease is expiring... today! Still, we're here now...

I do so love the sound of an accordion. You could make a fortune sitting down here in the passage ways of the public transport system playing to travellers... eating at the same time? Difficult!

Where eating after dance class is concerned, perhaps you could prepare yourself a plateful of salad (or a pan of soup) so that you can eat immediately upon your return, without necessarily grabbing something unhealthy just because you're tired and hungry...

Not weighing? Me? Nah! I was back on today... just Mondays aren't a good day for the scales!!

Hi, a very quick flypast from me today as we are going ot tonight and I have a ton of things to do when I get home.

I do have salads after dancing, they don't take long to prepare. My problem is wanting biscuits with coffee and in the evening. The coffee one is easy, just drink something else instead. Evenings are more of a problem. Since I started this job I haven't been going out in the evening so much, a combination of not wanting to start the next day tired and wanting to spend some time with David. When we worked together we saw each other all day but now it is just late afternoon and evening during the week.

I have a feeling our office move will end up like yours! It was originally planned for November, now it looks like February, I can see we'll be trotting up the road carrying files in the snow (the new place is only a couple of hundred yards away)>

Must dash, time for work. Have a great day.

It's true that having biscuits with one's hot drinks is SUCH an English thing... I used to like to smoke with a coffee/tea also, so that was another habit I had to break... I guess I've just blocked out from my memory bank that a biscuit tin even exists! It has biscuits in it ("they" actually cos two houses = two biscuit tins) but they're poisonous ones, not for me... once in a BLUE MOON I'll get R to give me one. Just like a child... (I figure "act like a child, get treated like one!"). Obviously we can hope for better in time. After all, surely "normality" and "stabilisation" OUGHT to mean being able to have a couple from time to time WITHOUT needing to empty the tin? (That's me talking to me there...!).
x

Just got back from going to see a show with friends. It was really good and the female lead was fantastic, my only complaint was the boring choreography. I'm trying to make an effort to go to the theatre more, since starting this job I've been rather inclined to stay home in the evenings. I still haven't decided whether I want to be in the chorus for pantomime, not sure if I want the commitment. There again I'll miss it if I don't do it - tough choice.

This weekend I'm going to London to do a glass fusing course, staying with my sister. The hours are rather long so I don't think I'll get to do much else, so no shopping for me, not that I like shopping in London much. We are planning a Christmas trip to Lille with maybe a day or two down to Paris in mid December, I do love the moving displays in the Grands Magasins, so I'll get my fill of shopping then. Hope the exchange rate improves a bit before then.

I don't understand why we have this "eat one then I can't stop" thing with carbs. I'm worst with sweet stuff but I can be bad with Pringles too. It's so stupid because I actually feel quite uncomfortable if I eat too many carbs, but even that doesn't stop me. I know I'm not as bad as some people can be, but I still can't manage get my head around the concept that one is enough. Cutting down on coffee does help a bit.

Back