The last stone mission......ROLL UP!!!!

Perhaps you could ask your birds to do a little detour and pick up mine on the way? As for feeding mine (encouraging them!), no way... what I do for them however is prevent R from buying his threatened airgun. I wouldn't like that. I just wish they would move house... our shutters are covered in poo, doorstep, front of house etc. Will sort in the summer, but if they're all still there, pretty futile (but will do nonetheless!).

Oh there are lots of things I *could* make with egg yolks, just trying not to! Am choosing my gala meal desserts very carefully at the moment (as have some goodies a friend bought me in the UK which I've not yet frozen so this weekend's pudding already catered for (victoria sandwich cake, to which we'll add jam, cos Sains***y's don't put much in!) and a hot cross bun!

I know all there is to know about cholesterol now EXCEPT whether my doctor is ever going to contact me to either redo the test OR make dietary changes (which would frighten me in case it messes something up for me to change the way I'm currently eating!). So far so "good"...

I'm excited, because it's a psychological passage (in D***n, Phase 4 is the end of the "diet". It's done and dusted, and now in your hands...) but, where I'm concerned, Phase 3 wasn't really long enough so I'll be wise and continue it longer into Phase 4... (while knowing nonetheless that I could have, say, 2 pieces of fruit one day without contravening any rules!!). The length of any person's Phase 3 is determined by the amount of weight loss (on that diet) so mine was only 2.5 months; some people have a year to do... had I lost all my weight on that plan, I'd have had 2 years 1 month to do!

Rain is forecast where I'm going for the entire weekend, which is a drag as it makes the house darker, but we weren't honestly doing anything outdoors so no worries.

Speak Monday
x

Interesting! Some on the Sup** site have mentioned giving their yolks to their cats, but one of mine is borderline overweight and the other not just yet but I fear the worst as she ages as she is such a piglet (and indoor cats just don't get the exercise alas...). So I prefer not!

I had a good weekend, followed my planned healthy food to the letter... right up to last night when, already full from my gala meal (starter of fresh prawns and salad; main of pasta, salmon, cream sauce with garlic and onions in it and gruyere cheese on the top(!); slice of cake and cream) I succumbed to far too much chocolate in the car (ok I took it from the cupboard TO the car so can't blame the car!), and THEN made toast with long life bread (which I HATE) when I got home! duh!! What an idiot...

So I stayed off the scales. This overdoing things on a Sunday evening seems to pursue me... a real drag and I've been giving myself a hard time (inwardly). So no bread for this little piglet today.

How are you?

What a shame when the weekend had gone so well, it is easily done though. I've eaten way too much over the weekend too, entirely my own fault as I cooked things which neither freeze nor keep, so we ate an entire strawberry cream tart between us yesterday on top of all the normal food.

It sounds like we are both struggling with these carb urges, it seems to me I'm fine so long as I don't start, once started I don't want to stop. That's why DDs are easy but UDs can go way over the top. I'm going to look into insulin resistance and how to deal with it because I feel I'm on a bit of a seesaw with this. OK I've got my weight under control for now but that isn't the whole story - it seems like I don't convert food into energy properly, or get enough rejuvenation from my sleep. It would be easy to put it down to age and tell myself everything is OK, and I'm sure that is what my doctor would say, but I can't help feeling that my whole system is being sluggish and ought to work better.

Yes I've already identified that I'm fine so long as I don't start. On both Saturday and Sunday afternoons, I made R a sandwich with cheese and branston without so much as licking my fingers(!), let alone joining him... yet, as you say, once I start, that's it!

Despite myself, I still identify "good" and "bad" foods; associate weekdays with eating healthily and Sundays not, etc etc.

I personally think that it's in my head, rather than anything insulin related, but you might be different of course and I think you're talking about something else rather than just the bad food behaviour we occasionally have? Today, someone could pass a hot steaming delicious smelling baguette under my nose, and I wouldn't flinch, but yesterday? Long life packaged plastic bread! Stupd!

Hiya i am a newbie and i have just over a stone to loose. So i am with you all on this one. It is the hardest bit of the diet i think, the last milestone before your goal!!

hi Cheeky,

Welcome to the thread, but I must warn you that it's a very quiet 'one post a day' thread as there are just a few of us left here, and two of us are stabilising now and none of us do the meal replacement shakes. Having said that, you're more than welcome to join us for your last stone which is indeed the hardest part of the whole diet. Have you lost much already?

Claire - bit of a disaster on the scales this morning in that they growled at me, groaned at the weight, and registered 1K up exactly on last Tuesday! Ahh! For now, I must close my eyes, continue the carb reintroduction "normally" and just try not to overdo things at the weekend... I was tempted to have a low calorie day or two but really don't want to get into that binge then compensate mentality again - I've done that too often - so for now hope to hang in there... if the numbers on the scales don't start singing my song soon (I am bloated and a bit co****ted also!), I could go back to the 80 / 20 maintenance, but not just yet.

How are you Claire? When's Tash back?

Hi Cheeky, welcome to the thread. Too right, the last stone is the tough one, took me ages too. But you notice the effects of every pound when you are nearly there so it is worth the struggle. What diet method are you using? Wow, just looked at your gallery, you look fantastic, brilliant loss.

Joanne, aaargh, that's what you dreaded. But you have some leeway from the extra you have lost and your body will get used to having more carbs again. I'm only weighing once a week so don't find out if things have gone wrong until Saturday. Yesterday was good, very active dance class (aches everywhere today) and controlled food (the galette make a good tortilla). This good and bad food thing is such a problem, and I'm still convinced that insulin is behind it all. Your body should be able to say OK, enough now. Which it does with me on most things, but not the sweet ones. I want to be able to eat one biscuit and put the rest away, and not want to eat six of them. It shouldn't be about willpower (or won'tpower in my case), it should be something I can do naturally. My researches so far show that some level of insulin resistance is very common, that it can be a precursor to diabetes, and that certain foods and supplements can help the effectiveness of insulin. I'm going to go down that route a bit, take a few supplements and eat more cinnamon (sounds good) and see if I notice any improvement.

I think Tash gets back this weekend, all tanned and relaxed. I can't help feeling jealous.

Gosh Cheeky - I too went to have a look at your Gallery! Well done indeed (and are you sure you have a stone left to lose? You look great!!)

You could well be right, Claire, about the insulin... why not indeed... I personally put my 1K up on a stupid greedy binge Sunday evening... I wish I could stop acting as if food were the enemy and realise that, if I don't eat it today, it'll still be there tomorrow! Most of the time I can and I do... but, as you say, carbs upset things for us. Possibly because we cut them out to lose our weight?

Tanned and relaxed sounds nice... I'll be off (yes again, I know, but I work harder on my "holidays" than at "work"!) in 10 days time for over two weeks... always a dangerous time for me but I'm going to make vats of vegetable soup and start each meal with that! Needs must!

I think the idea of a stupid greedy binge is wrong, you weren't being stupid or greedy, you were obeying what your body was saying, and it was lying to you. That's what I want to get to the bottom of, that when my body says it wants something is it right, or am I misunderstanding, or is there something awry. We keep accusing ourselves, calling ourselves bad and greedy, when it may be that things aren't functioning properly.

Great idea about the soup, salads are good too. I usually have salad for my DD lunch, sometimes on UDs as well because I enjoy it.

I'm off to invent a cinnamon and oatmeal recipe for breakfast, low GI and insulin promoting.

I put it down to voices, rather than "my body". My voices are talking to me a lot at the moment. Before I closed my eyes last night, they told me to go to the freezer, take out a slab of cake and leave it to defrost overnight so that I could eat it tomorrow morning before R got up. (WHAT?!) I fell asleep while arguing with myself and remembered first thing and wondered whether I'd done it!

Last time I had these voices, I noted down the dates... I'm looking for a pattern. I think it's hormonal.

I'm sure you'll find something appropriate on the S*****e site. Have you tried the muffins yet? I am now officially addicted!

Scales a little kinder to me today. Food as normal, including bread, and tomorrow is protein only... I too would love to get to the bottom of it all. At one point, my GP wondered whether it was diabetes oriented (my constant craving for sugar). I had a lot of tests and no, all was normal...

Good to hear the weight is a bit better, I'm sure you will stabilise on the new freer eating patterns once you have been on them for a while. I'm keeping off the scales until Saturday, it has been hard to give them up and I don't want to go back to watching them fluctuate every morning. I have a DD today and am feeling nibbly. Usually I manage to keep away from food pretty well but I have had one or two extras, nothing major so I can compensate for it over the rest of the day. Wednesday is the hardest DD - Monday comes after two UDs and Friday is the one before Saturday weighing so has more incentive.

Surprisingly few oat recipes on S***e site, I think it is not a popular ingredient, maybe not grown much in France. I've yet to try the muffins, maybe I'll give them a go this evening as I haven't decided what to eat yet. Last DD I made the galette with added bell pepper and sweetcorn and used it as a tortilla wrap, very tasty.

Carb cravings are funny things, yours seem to be sugar orientated, mine like something that crunches (although alternatives will do in an emergency). I think that was one reason I couldn't settle to D***n, no crunchy proteins available.

When you say "surprisingly few oat recipes", we are talking about *son d'avoine* yes? If so, I'll email you some links.

I am disturbed at the "Return of the Voices", even though they're quite now and have been since that late night cake episode. I thought way back when that reaching one's target weight would be the end of the battle. How silly was I?!

The thought of spending the rest of one's life having to avoid buying certain foods for fear of triggering a binge horrifies me. I know I lost the major part of my weight using avoidance as a strategy, and I know that it works, just that I'd far sooner be more "normal". This phase will pass, hopefully, but the thought of another holiday period on the horizon, while obviously excites me (the holiday!), but the resulting weight and food behaviour? hmm...

I too like to crunch... I did find phase 1 of the diet more difficult as nothing crunched. Even today, the protein day, I have no crunch... but I am definitely very sweet toothed still so I'm living proof that one can avoid sweetness for ages and ages without the slightest problem but the second one introduces it, one's back to square one!!

More like flocons d'avoine than sons as it is the low GI nature of rolled oats which is what I wish to exploit. I have found some interesting american recipes that I might try, including a sort of oat pancake which is more like an english dropped scone.

Like you, I find the thought of never eating normally again quite alarming. That's why I want to find a way of stopping the cravings. Surely it can't be necessary to avoid sweet stuff for ever, that would be such a deprivation. I have a friend who had hypnotherapy to stop her eating chocolate, she was binging uncontrollably and couldn't cope - now she is sickened even by the smell of it. I wouldn't like to go that far, food should be a pleasure, not a guilt.

My DH says that losing weight is easy, it is maintaining the loss which is the hard bit, and I think we are both finding out the truth of that. My DDs are usually pretty good, and mostly I don't feel the lack of food - although yesterday was an exception. Once I am back dancing on Wednesday nights I should feel better about it, at the moment I don't want another night out. UDs can be my downfall, I need to be more sensible then. I don't seem to get big problems with holidays, but then we are out and about rather than in our home, so food is more restricted to mealtimes.

I didn't get around to trying the muffins yesterday, will try to remember for Friday. Tonight I have some nice looking beef so a simple roast is on the menu I think.

This morning I decided to give the muffins a try, I was a bit vague on the oven times as I have a fan oven so just went by how they looked. Verdict - not sure if I like them but it might have been a fault in my method. They seemed rather gritty, perhaps I should use a bit less bran, or more fb, or soak the bran beforehand. The texture was fine inside where they had more moisture, but the edges had a sandpaper quality. I added a bit of sweetener and some cinnamon to the mix, the flavours didn't have much impact though. I might try again with a little feta cheese or blue cheese, something to give a strong flavour. You do get a lot for your calories, although the inclusion of the yolk knocks that back somewhat, I may try it without the yolk but a bit more fb and letting it rest for half an hour before adding the whites - bit of a palava for early mornings.

I've got a busy day ahead so really must write a list to make sure it all gets done. I'm looking forwards to having a bit of time to myself this weekend, don't know if it will happen though, I'd planned that last wekend and it didn't work out. DH will be sailing some of the time, I'm never certain if that gives me more time or less.

Post just arrived, and brought me a bag of ox intestines! I'm going to try making sausages - the saucisson sec type which are hard to find here. I've got the preservative etc too so that's another job for the weekend, luckily my Kenwood has a mincer attachment so it won't be such hard work.

In our fan oven in Paris, the muffins take 20 mins. In "normal" electric oven, more like 30. Both at 200°C.

We have adapted the base recipe somewhat and for 6 muffins use:
4 soupspoons son d'avoine, 2 soupspoons son de ble, 2 eggs (separated)*, FIVE soupspoons fromage frais 0% or fromage blanc 0%, [filling: either smoked salmon diced up, or Candarel and vanilla essence].

* if not using yolk, as I don't during the week, I add some extra ff or fb until I get the same texture. Colour different, but I don't notice the taste.

I've NEVER had a gritty texture... EVER! (I'm wondering whether the "sons" in England are the same).

Anyway another weekend. In the City for me this one, as next THREE in the country :) Of course the weather forecast is dire, but that's always the case when we stay here and want to go everywhere on foot... ah well. I still will, but will have woolly frizzy hair!

Re palaver - not at all cos we make 12 at a time for the two of us, so I have cold ones all week and hot only at weekend. I'm told that they freeze well too but haven't tried that yet.

Good for you re sausages! I do so love homemade sausages - you know what's gone in them! We don't use preservatives so freeze them quickly. R always moans that we don't put enough fat in them, but needs must!!

Have a good weekend, and hope your weigh in is ok (I'm 1lb up on last Friday - not the end of the world but it must go before holiday next Friday!)

Hi, hope your city weekend was fun and the weather not as bad as feared. I've had a slightly alarming rise in the scales so this week is going to be daily weighing and strict counting for both up and down days I think. I had had an inkling (tighter clothes and suchlike) that all was not as well as the scales had been showing. I think when I stop daily weighing I may do twice a week instead of once, Saturday morning for the lowest and Monday morning for the highest values - a bit more realistic.

Interesting thing with the muffins, the problem went as soon as they cooled down, I think it might be due to the silicone mould I used. Today I baked a triple quantity (but only two yolks) in a loaf pan so I can slice it like a sort of bread. And added more ff but not as much as you list because I didn't have enough in the fridge.

The sausages have been a lot of work, I have an electric mincer but no stuffer so had to use a forcing bag - not fun. They are hanging up to dry now, the point at which I found the knots weren't holding well so I have put metal crimps on as well. All experimental so far, we'll find out in about three weeks if it is going to work.

How much weight have you gained, Claire? The way the D***n is supposed to work in stabilisation is that one's weight *ought* to remain stable each week the morning after the "pure protein" day. So far for me so good. Any other time in the week of course there are variants. I know you weigh usually on a Saturday. Is that following a DD? I still weigh daily, and still worry about variations, but do tell myself often that "it doesn't matter"!

I had a great shopping trip on Saturday and was thrilled to get into a size smaller (actually two sizes smaller in one article) than I thought I was! Although I know it's simply because shops are trying to kid us we're smaller than we are, as I do have some clothes still from "way back when" which are completely different measurements for the same size, it is a nice feeling nonetheless!

Very strange re muffins though - I eat them cold during the week, yet hot at the weekend (lovely and crispy texture on the outside and soft and fluffy in the inside). One thing though: I have an "normal" electric oven in the country, and they take 30 - 35 mins to cook. In the city, in a fan oven, we're talking 20 mins maximum. Same temperature in both.

We don't hang ours, and freeze them quite quickly... are you planning on hanging yours long? We did once discuss rigging up something with coat hangers in the bathroom, but I talked him out of it and our sausages taste fine nonetheless. Can one buy a sausage attachment for your food processor?

I was up 2 lbs on the previous week, which was a pound more than my target but that had been floating on and off for some time. I don't want to put it down to a glitch as I have been saying for a while that I felt fatter. Yes Saturdays should be the low point weightwise after a DD. So far my DD has been good with no cravings or problems, I'm trying to drink more water as I know I am bad there.

Well done on getting into the smaller sizes, doesn't it feel good. You seem to be stabilising well, as I thought I had until the last few weeks. Think I have been getting careless so a couple of weeks of restriciton should help get me back on track. Coming on here and admitting sins makes a difference too, I can't just ignore them.

The muffin loaf worked fine, so I don't know what went wrong before, perhaps there just wasn't enough ff or something. It makes a handy bread substitute, might even try toasting it although that might bring out the grittiness again.

The sausages are supposed to airdry like saucisson sec, should take three weeks or so, they are in the garage which is cool and reasonably dry and well ventilated (draughty anyway). I had trouble knotting them effectively so had to put metal crimps on, the commercial makers do this so I don't see why I shouldn't.

aaah you'll soon have those 2lbs under control again and there are so many other factors that can cause that sort of a fluctuation! I can put that on overnight if I errr don't go to the loo, for instance! Plus time of the month can cause more than that increase. You're right to attack it immediately though before it takes hold and becomes the "norm".

My weight is stable, but my behaviour can still be erratic, so I remain vigilant. While on holiday (from Friday evening until Monday 12th evening (sooo many Bank Holidays here in May!!)), I'm going to have a permanent vat of homemade veg soup on the stove to dip into in moments of madness. If I can eat a big bowlful of soup and STILL want something else, fair enough! Usually not though! Plus now that I know how much protein overdoses fill me up, I'll use and abuse that new knowledge too... of course there will be nice meals, not least because we both celebrate being a year older (errr!) while away, just that the next morning has to be straight back in the saddle.

Yes plenty do toast their muffins/bread recipe (and you can also do it in the microwave if you know you're going to toast it, so the lack of colour won't matter at the interim stage).

I remember a very old Generation Game game where people had to make sausages - so funny! When R whizzes them around (he doesn't "knot", more twist...), it always reminds me of those poor people!!

Back