The sizes in evans compared to other places

frankied

Silver Member
I have fitted into a size 18 jeans in evans today (so pleased down from 24) but was wondering how other people think their sizes compare to other shops. As when I dropped to a 16 I think it will be time to shop for jeans else where. I'm thinking new look but I'm wondering if a size 16 in evans would be the same as in new look. I've never been able to shop anywhere other than evans for so many years that I wonder whether their sizes are more or less generous than other clothes shops?

It even varies between different manufacturers in the same store.

It is a case of just trying on and if they fit fine if not do not be disheartened you know what weight you have lost and do not need a size label to tell you that.

I had a mega summer clothes shopping spree last week, but, in a charity shop.

I got a fabulous pair of Italian cream coloured jeans........shock horror a size 24 !!!!! I have been buying 18's. I got 2 dresses, size 18, 7 summer tops, one a 16, 3 size 20's and 3 size 18's and incidentally the lot cost me less than 40€.

The point I am trying to make is , that size means nothing. I know I am not a size 24 and I love the jeans so.......I Bought them and cut the label out......no reminders of how diddy the elegant Italian ladies are.

Hi Frankied, read your topic and had to drop over from ww :) I am at the point now where I just pretend like most shops dont exist and head straight for evans or dorothy perkins, new look or m&s because I know its "safe" for me to shop there (although not dp so much of late, growl), I was a size 18 in dp for a long time and bought a pair of 18 jeans in evans without trying them on and they were a bit big, saggy round the bum... I dont know if that means dp are small or evans are generous. Like fillymum says sizes vary sooo much even in the same shop. The odd weekend I go shopping with my skinny friends who buy everything from a 10 to a 14 in the same trip so again like fillymum said its really not about the size on the label. If it looks good and you feel good that's all thats important.

If you're getting into an 18 in evans definitely go try out new look, they have a range called inspire thats plus size and I never had a problem with anything fitting me there, I really like a lot of the stuff they have there, great sales!

Inspire at New Look is brilliant for plus size clothes.

I used to find Evans clothes were a) overpriced and b) generous in size on some items.

Everyone is different shapes and sizes, so dont let a label rule your focus.

As Sue says, cut the label out and stick your butt out :) (well sue didnt say the last bit....thats all me!)

show off your curves, get some jeans with a little lycra in - and get the size down - wear a longer top if you are getting a mini muffin top - and then when you are ready and have lost a little more, then wear different tops with them to show off your booty!!! xxx

i have never had anything from evans and i am so funny about buying jeans, i get really stressed out coz my ass is so wide and my thighs are like tree trunks! :(
i have been buying sainsburys TU jeans and they are a brill fit and i can get them in a short leg. I love new look jeans, just be aware that new look goes up to 16 and the inspire is 16 plus but the 2 16s are different sizes if that makes sense. I dont like dorethy perkins jeans, they dont go high up enough over my hips.
my aim is to fit into a size 14 river island jeans :)

Generally i find new look to be quite generous, but having said that ive just bought a dress from there that was shockingly small!!

Next is my other favourite as it has the petite range. Next online/directory has an excellent petite/tall/plus size range and theyre also pretty generous. Just watch out for their 'cheaper' items. They do jeans ranging from 20-35 quid. The 20 quid ones are always smaller than the 35 quid ones in the same size.

I've never shopped in Evans so am not sure what it's like, but I got a pair of size 12 jeans from Primark (my first of that size in a LONG time) and they fitted me perfectly, if anything they were a little bit roomy, so at the beginning of this month I went and got myself another pair of size 12's in a different style, and there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of me getting into them.

They just about came up past my thighs and there was no mission of getting them buttoned up, not unless I wanted a rather fetching muffin-top!

Damn you Primark, teasing me into thinking I'm a size 12 and then cruelly snatching it away from me!!

IMO Primark are one of the worst offenders when it comes to variable sizing. I guess its because of the sheer volume and quantity of different items and locations they are producing in. I have long given up worrying about the number in my clothing label when browsing in there.

i have never had anything from evans and i am so funny about buying jeans, i get really stressed out coz my ass is so wide and my thighs are like tree trunks! :(
i have been buying sainsburys TU jeans and they are a brill fit and i can get them in a short leg. I love new look jeans, just be aware that new look goes up to 16 and the inspire is 16 plus but the 2 16s are different sizes if that makes sense. I dont like dorethy perkins jeans, they dont go high up enough over my hips.
my aim is to fit into a size 14 river island jeans :)

I have huuuggee thighs too.

Just to add more weigh to this. I bought 3 pairs of trousers from Next about 6 weeks ago in a size 18. 1 pair fit perfectly, 1 pair were a tiny bit too tight, and one pair I couldn't get over my thighs. All from the same shop and same size, and all bootcut as well so not even the style was different!

Its made me realise that I need to actually try clothes on before buying them - which alsm means actually going into shops, so I will need to get over my phobia of that. As you get smaller you'll find less of your clothes are elasicated at the waist - lets face it, this is generally the reason us larger ladies haven't been aware of this sizing variation before!

On the plus side, the one which didn't fit now do, and the other two pairs are getting a bit loose.

I did a bit of a shop at Lakeside a few weeks before starting SW. A bit pointless because I'd been thinking about committing to SW for a few weeks even then but just hadn't got in the right frame of mind.

I bought 2 pairs of jeans and one pair of trousers, all from New Look.

The trousers were a size 16, they were linen.
The jeans were a size 12 and a 14. Both exactly the same jeans but the 12 was a light denim and the 14 was dark. They fit exactly the same.
Same shop, same day, same price, same blinking jeans. Different sizes. So in the way that I didn't celebrate my 12s, I didn't depress about my 16s. What I did celebrate was that I had 2 lovely pairs or jeans that looked nice(ish) and I was comfortable in. Now all I need to do is make them not fit me anymore!! ;)

My absolute fav jeans are the John Rocha organic from debenhams. They fit like a glove & are soooo soft & comfy. So far I have shrunk from a 22 to a 14 in them & despite trying lots of other brands I dont think any of them stack up in terms of comfort & fit for me.

Organic Jeans....hehe!

I love Next jeans - but i have got some Wide legs in a 14 that a nearly hanging off me, and some bootcut ones that look painted on when i put them on - and some other Flared ones that wont go past my thunderthighs!

I cant wait for the huge (Next) summer sale next month- i get up at 4am with the saddos and get my bargains to slim into. The 14's were all bought in the xmas sale!!! :) usually within 6 months i am in the next size down you see (i am a sloooooowww loser!) xxx

I dont see me getting much slimmer than a 12 anyway - so to be able to buy them and know i will get into them is a total victory as well.

xxx

I know Ellebear I giggled when I first saw them too but honestly they are soooo comfy...definitely worth the extra fiver!!!! lol

primark are crazy sizes!
i have 5 pairs of linen trousers from last summer, all the same size and yet they all fit me differently.... actually at the moment none of them fit me at all at the moment lol x

Back