The story of happyhealthy's expedition to maintain!

Lucy... you're Scottish aren't you?? You certainly eat porridge the Scottish way anyway! haha My mum always makes porridge sweet whereas my dad always does salty because that's how his dad (who was scottish) always did it so what he's used to.

Heh, I like water + porridge oats + salt. I make it in my extra-lazy way (boil kettle, add hot water to porridge in bowl, stir a bit, leave while I make tea, eat). :D less washing up.

Yes, I am indeed a Scot! Up here (especially in the country) you never hear of someone sweetening their porridge. It's always salt. Adding something sweet like sugar or fruit to the porridge up here would be as odd up here as someone adding Sugar to coat the sunday lunch down in England - it just doesn't happen.

We typically make it on the stove with water and add lots of salt. Then we serve it up in a thick dollop in a bowl and add milk (and sometimes a little cream)

I don't think I could ever try take to sweet porridge. It would just change it into too much of a new taste for me. I'll just stick with my new found love of peppery porridge thank you very much! :D

You look gorgeous :)

OMG, you look amazing! Well done!

Mmmm... does anyone else find that they appreciate food SO much more since they changed their lives around?I used to be the fussiest eater and now I'll try any combination of food.

Breakfast: Porridge with crushed black pepper (98 cals):

img0157pi.jpg

Lunch: Warm mixed bean tuna salad with broccoli, sweetcorn and carrots (160 calories)
DELISH!
img0158gs.jpg

happyhealthy said:
I haven't been on minimins in nearly a week!

WHAT HAS HAPPENED?

Well, sadly the local internet cables decided to die, and since I'm away out in the country that doesn't make us a priority to get anything fixed within a week long period. :gen147: Anyhooo can't be helped! I've got so many diaries and so many of you people to reply too, it will take me a while but I will read all/reply tonight after the gym. I'll also give you guys a proper update, but until I do, here's the thought of the day (ok, I know I've never given a thought of the day but a good a time as any to start :D)

I've always been a bit of a weirdo. Anyone who's known me for any amount of time would probably vote 'yes' on that. I'm pretty strong-willed and opinionated. I am determined and when I want something, it is hard to keep me from getting it.

If you ever meet someone who knows me, I've always been a little strange. Not in a creepy way like randomly dancing behind curtains at parties strange but more like an abnormal "I don't need to do something just because everyone else says it's normal" sort of way. For example, where food is concerned, I'd rather eat my dessert before my main course, because that way I won't be stuffed and I'll actually be able to appreciate the flavours and enjoy it without it being masked by the savoury main course - but people would just think you're crazy if you whipped out the ice cream before the spaghetti. That's just food wise though, there's lots of other little things too. Like if you pulled up beside me at traffic lights you'd probably catch me singing along to the radio and finishing off the chorus with a little hand jive to make Michael Jackson jelous.
It's not hard for me to be ok with being weird. I am not normal and, ironically, my weirdness is the norm for most that know me.

I eat differently now than I used to. I approach priorities in my life much differently than I used to and I've finally convinced myself that it's ok to be slightly odd.
When I go into word, I pack my lunch and snacks the day before. That means that I might look weird with my pre-measured portions but that's ok with me.
When I go out to eat, I don't join in and eat rubbish food just so I fit in. I don't think "better have 5 cocktails and a bag of chips too then". I am a weirdo and if someone says something, I've learned to be ok with that.

I plan ahead for things, using my calories wisely and even at dinners, eating what I want and not letting someone convince me to eat something I don't want. They may be annoyed with me but that's ok. They'll get over it.

Being a weirdo is fun because it turns out that when you buck the system and start to take responsibility for what goes in your mouth, the payoff is huge.
Here's what you might give up:
1. Fitting in with your friends or family's eating style
2, Eating on a whim when you aren't hungry
3. The disappointment and stress in the aftermath of a binge

Here's what you get:
1. A sense of accomplishment
2. A better understanding of yourself and how you got into the weight mess in the first place.
3. The realization that you are worth it and that the world doesn't end when you do something for yourself and don't work on pleasing everyone else.

I'm far from perfect and I have my bumps along the way but I come back to this truth very often. If eating bad is normal than I'd rather be weird.

Convince yourself that it's ok not to be normal sometimes. It's ok to be different. It isn't selfish to do what's best for you. No one is suffering when you turn down a piece of cake. Build up your resolve for this. Eating right is the number one indication of sticking with a healthy lifestyle long term.
Saying yes to bad food just to make other people happy can NEVER outdo poor eating. It's really that simple.

Always have the courage within yourself to do what you want in life, and most importantly, be who you want to be. :winner:

Hope you all have a beautiful day and I'll catch up with you all tonight xx

Hello just thought is pop in and say hi and well done for what you have achieved after reading this it has inspired me and you really hit the nail on the head for me, I do eat to for on with other people and your right it is only me that suffers not them so I have to be stronger. I do make excuses and I'm fed up with feeling annoyed at myself!

My target is 7lbs away although o would really like another stone but I have sts for months an months (not counting my 1lb gain this week) I'm hoping if I keep what you have wrote here and read it when I'm feeling weak it will help.

Thanks

Belle

happyhealthy said:
Mmmm... does anyone else find that they appreciate food SO much more since they changed their lives around?I used to be the fussiest eater and now I'll try any combination of food.

Breakfast: Porridge with crushed black pepper (98 cals):

Lunch: Warm mixed bean tuna salad with broccoli, sweetcorn and carrots (160 calories)
DELISH!

Absolutely not sure about porridge and black pepper but the tuna looked good and I would eat that. I prefer my porridge with sweetener and banana, yummy.

Think I'll have tuna for lunch... yummy yum!!!

Hello just thought is pop in and say hi and well done for what you have achieved after reading this it has inspired me and you really hit the nail on the head for me, I do eat to for on with other people and your right it is only me that suffers not them so I have to be stronger. I do make excuses and I'm fed up with feeling annoyed at myself!

My target is 7lbs away although o would really like another stone but I have sts for months an months (not counting my 1lb gain this week) I'm hoping if I keep what you have wrote here and read it when I'm feeling weak it will help.

Thanks

Belle

You are very welcome babe. But I should be the one thanking you because people like yourself telling me how my story has inspired them is such a lovely thing to hear. I think I'm nobody partially special so it's like 'wow!" when people tell me I'm making just that smidgin of a difference on their outlook on life. :D If you have any questions, just ask cos I've no doubt been there, got the t-shirt and I'll be more than happy to give you any tips I've picked up along the way :) Infact anyone who knows me will tell you I could talk the hind legs off a donkey so I've be more than happy to give you any advice. That's why I'm here. The (slightly shaky) bibe according to HappyHealthy lol xxx

Tonight I'm going into the City to a really really upmarket restaurant. I've looked at the menu and there's only 7 things on it! There's a scallops, rabbit, pigeon, lamb, lobster and fillet dish then the vegetarian option is some unpronounceable french dish. Argh! Considering I don't eat any of the meat options, I'm just going to have to give the ol' french dish a try. Wish me luck!

On another note, today I was at my friends house and her brother's friend, who I've met a few times, came over. He's in the cambridge uni reserve rowing team. It turns out he can row 2000 meters in 6 minutes (he's 6ft tall, and PURE MUSCLE)! Anybody who is a rower will know that's insanely fast. Like superhuman. I told him that I'm a keen rower too who thought my time of 11 minutes was good! So we went down to the river and we had a few races (I got a 5 minute head start)-clearly I had to fall in the water, then fall in the water again and oh yeah... fall in the water AGAIN before I even got in the boat never mind contemplate starting a race. Oh and I also crashed. Many times. He's home for 3 months so he says that we should row together since I don't have anybody to row with (why does nobody like rowing!!) and neither does he. So I'll be training with a cambridge uni reserve rower! I better be bloody good at this rowing malarky by the end of the summer :D

Hope you all have a lovely night catch up tomorrow! -hugs-

Someone to share your exercise with and eye candy all at the same time!!! It's alright for some!! :D

Enjoy your funny french dish. Can't wait to hear all about it. :)

Thank you , It's good to know people who are in the same boat!! Staying healthy and loosing weight is a tough journey!

Hmmm haute cuisine, eye candy, AND free expert rowing training. Result!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Firstly you look great in both photos :)

Secondly... Rabbit and Pigeon are both game so super healthy..Although I'm with you on the pigeon. Far to strong for me :p

Back to porridge..My mum used to make porridge islands as well!! I make it in the microwave. Very lazy but gives it a great texture.. I also know someone who adds whiskey to his!! Not daily I should add :D

You know what, I reeeeeally like rowing, can I come watch?? :p

caroline g said:
You know what, I reeeeeally like rowing, can I come watch?? :p

I think Caroline may have a 6ft of pure muscle based ulterior motive here........

On reflection......can I come too????

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back