Tipperary wobbles into 2024

Wow Tippy, 14.5km:eek: big increase from Wednesday when you posted you did 10km..well done, very impressed:)
you'll be posting 20km in no time X

It was a much flatter 14.5km though.
Scales up this morning so not happy with that. I was bad over the weekend but thought I was good yesterday, very little fat, no added sugar but it was carb heavy but with lots of fibre.. My abdomen feels very bloated so maybe I just need to let the carbs and fibre work their way through. Cookery class this week is different types of porridge and also sweet potato muffins...so no need for me to taste or nibble in the class.
My knees are getting a little bit sore and stiff so time to add in some healthy fats I think. I'm going to take my flax seed again, some in my porridge and some in a smoothie. Only thing is it causes bloating and sligjt weight gain for the first three or four days you take it as your system adjusts to it.

So I need another "diet" in my life, a money diet. Income has drastically dropped again and being realistic I don't really "need" anything. I now have enough good clothes to wear. I bought two new dresses in France so that's Christmas sorted. I got new underwear which is plenty until next spring, and I have enough cycling/walking/swimming clothes. Some Christmas shopping done and presides for Oscars birthday sorted. So need money to build up goodies for Christmas and last of the presents.

Daughters 1 and 2 coming for lunch so I need to make something nice for them but healthy enough too. I still have some wholemeal pastry left so if the hens behave I can make some quiche. I know I can make a bean salad, not sure what veg we have for soup but if not much I can fall back to my old standby autumn favourite which is curried apple and potato. Sounds weird but it really works. We have Apple trees in the garden and one client pays husband with a sack of potatoes.
Watching masterchef while eating breakfast then need to motivate myself for a cycle before cleaning the kitchen and cooking.

Curried parsnip soup in pot, 6 mini lentil pies in oven and a small quiche. That's the last of the pastry gone now. Only two eggs today so quiche bulked up with ham and tomato and a sprinkle of cheese. 4 sweet potato muffins out of freezer and I took out some of the sausage rolls for them. That should feed 4 of us well and cheaply too. No added sugar not too bad in fat without the sausage rolls. Need to clean up now and go out for a cycle.

You're like a tornado Tippy, you never seem to be still:) how do you make your lentil pies filling? I had to smile at your husband being paid in potatoes:) We used to have a Land Rover we used for paragliding that died on a farmer's field..we traded it in with him for a sack of potatoes and two turnips:D Enjoy your time with your girls X

I made a short crust pastry that had a small amount of wholemeal flour. The I use red or yellow lentils and cook them in some stock with onions and tomatoes, I use the pressure cooker and they take 20 minutes. Then roughly line large greased muffins tins with pastry circles, fill with the lentils and pull the pastry together at the top. Bake 180 for about 20 minutes.

Plans changed, I decided cleaning the kitchen was more important than cycling today so did that and got the bathroom cleaned as well before we had lunch. Girls gone and just having tea now before I go out to a class. I should be back by 6:30 so hope to get out then for a walk or maybe even a cycle

Gosh i agree, you are like a whirlwind! The curried apple soup sounds yum ,how do you make it?

Re the money tree, what about having a clean out of clothes and things and putting them on eBay?

Re the money tree, what about having a clean out of clothes and things and putting them on eBay?

I've tried that before and also on a local Facebook trading page but it really is a huge bother with all the photo taking and uploading. And most of mine having been taken up....describing them for short fat people isn't really a good selling point.

Vegetable soup recipe

5 parts stock or water
1part onion
1 part potato
3 parts of whatever vegetable you are using

Sweat the onions in a small amount of oil.
Add the veg and sweat them.
Add any spices or herbs.
Add the potato and stock, bring to the boil and simmer. Cook about 20 mins then whizz with a stick blender. Check for salt and pepper.

That's a basic recipe so adapt as you want.

So curried apple and potato is 2 1/2 parts Apple and same of potato and dessert spoon curry powder.

Good combinations

Carrot and parsnip
Sweet potato and butternut squash
Broccoli and cauliflower
Whatever is left from dinner

I had always sweated the onions first in a little oil but now I use bought frozen chopped onions and throw everything into the pressure cooker together and its ready in about 8 minutes

Just up and drinking green tea with ginseng before breakfast while trying to download game of thrones. It days it will take 12 days but it goes up and down so will leave it an hour or two and see how long it takes.
Weight back to were it was last Friday official weigh in. Need to push to get it down this week. The cycling is helping but right now the weather is miserable, even going into town for a swim is off putting.
I know I had too many carbs over the past two days with all the pastry and lentils, but I didn't nibble or have sugar or as Ben sniff the wine. Cookery class tonight but its a bit of a drive away so leaving 5pm and home at about 9.30pm....that means planning meals as I don't want to have dinner after 9.30pm.

Warning, possibly a long post.
A stop and check in moment.

As said previously, my weight crept on slowly and as long as someone else was bigger than me I didn't really appreciate how big I was. At 24 I was 45kg and at 44 was 85kg, almost double my size. I was working full time, stopping on the way to work to buy a breakfast roll, getting chips for lunch and drinking coffee and eating muffins while driving, and bringing pizza or lasagne home for dinner. Then my brother got married and I was mortified when I saw the wedding photos. I had another wedding to go to 7 months later and got to 68kg for it and looked great. BUT it took every minute of every day, it was my total focus, all day every day revolved around food and exercise. I got great comments from people but actually found that too much pressure. Then we moved house which made a lot of changes in our life and weight slowly came back.
However, I did make some major changes as a result of that. Cars are not places to dine, takeaway or deli food is not for every day. Our new house meant a new garden and I started to grow our own food and get an appreciation of cooked from scratch.
Weight slowly came back and at 82kg I tried to stop the increase again. The permanent change from this was a short walk every day and had proper dinners...this got me down to 74kg.
New job and new pressure caused it up again and again I started to lose it slowly. This time the change was I stopped drinking coffee and tea, which meant no biscuit or cake breaks. Herbal tea and I are very happy.
So this time weight back up to 80.5kg and I decide to tackle it again. As you can see each time I do take away a lifestyle change that stays with me.
Where I am now is wine is not for everyday, there is such a thing as healthy nibbles, exercise does make me feel better.
So while at times it seems an uphill struggle I have made major changes for the better. Next I think I would like to beat sugar.

Thanks, I think what I was trying to say is each time important lessons are learnt and life changes kept. They say that losing 5 kilos will help you feel the changes, walking/ moving is easier, blood pressure will drop slightly, cholesterol may drop and sleeping will be easier. As long as each time I start to drop before I get to last times highest then I am winning.

Last edited:
Just back from town, I did all the shopping and I went swimming
Yep:) I finally got to the pool. I swam 12 lenghts and jogged 18 and feel great. Its good to feel the exercise in my arms and chest
Having soup now, an experiment. I was checking the freezer and I have lots of quorn chicken style pieces. I don't really live them as a stir fry or curry so made a broth type soup with them with veg and a little thsi green curry paste....delicious.

I love reading your posts Tippy, you're very honest. Admire the way you're handling your life style changes as it's not always easy to stop the things you know are cause for concern. It's a good way of thinking to focus on one thing to permanently stop.. Like eating in the car, I'm terrible for that.. It's like a cafe at times! And I think I'll take that one away with me to introduce into my lifestyle changes :) thanks Tippy. I'm also liking your recipes you're posting. X

Thanks.

Well a sneaky weigh in this morning (not really as I find doing it every weekday keeps me focussed) and I've just dropped under 74 kg so happy with that but mid July I was under 72 so won't be really happy til I get there again and then can continue down for Christmas. Target for now is 72kg by 28th Oct but to also have a waist.

Plan for today....still thinking. I've to take daughter 1 to town. So maybe a cycle, then town.... I must not stop and eat there. I've some paperwork to drop in social welfare office and need to go to credit union. Then home for lunch and afternoon I need to do an big clear out of utility room and sort out freezer. No classes today.

The COMPLETE season of Game of Thrones is finally available for me to see. So guess what I'm doing tonight.

Back