Tipperary wobbles into 2024

Thanks...unfortunately its not just vanity. Two aunts died at 54 from heart attacks and it puts the fear of God in me. An uncle had 2 strokes and a heart attack between 50 and 55. My mother hasn't been healthy since she was 30 and really has had no life for the past 25 years. She is 74 but looks and acts like a 90 year old. And mam, dad, younger brother and younger sister all have type 2 diabetes, so enough to keep me worried.
I had almost accepted the inevitable but when baby Oscar was born I wanted to be around for him and be actively involved with him. I was just too lethargic and worn out to do all I wanted with him. And now I can take him to stay with us for a few days and have fun and enjoy it, we are even thinking of taking him away on his own with us the next time we get to go to France. And now our dream of living in France seems more realistic, 12 months ago I even got anxious about going further than our local town, I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack. Now, as you know, I was quite comfortable going away for 3 weeks.
Hopefully I can stay positive and stay focussed, being able to vent here really helps.
So thanks all

This site is brilliant for getting worries and things you'd normally keep to yourself off your chest...we're like a tight little group of virtual friends on here.
No wonder you were scared stiff Tippy with the family history you have, at least you're doing something about it and especially now Oscar is here..isn't amazing how much your grandchildren can spur you on to change things:) How lovely to take him away on holiday with you. Do you always book the same place to stay in France? Where do you go? France has never been on my radar but I liked the sound of your holiday you've just had. It would be really good to turn your dream into a reality if you can, we left our dream too late and it'll always just be a dream now..happy one though.
Just goes to show how healthy eating and exercise can change your life doesn't it, wel, done for taking charge of things X

For the past 3 years we have rented a house in the same area of France, different house but sameish area, rural area outside Cahors....about 90 mins from Toulouse SW France. Darling husband was born in France and has always wanted to go back. We have decided this is the area we would like to stay in. Holiday home at first, then long stay and then retirement. We are thinking of going back again in January to see how cold the winter is just to be doubly sure, the winters are short and cold but dry. So much healthier than our wet winters here.
I went online yesterday to go house shopping ( much healthier than eating chocolate) and lots for sale in the village we want, all the UK homeowners are selling up because of brexit. We have no money and no possibility of borrowing so now looking at a barn in a field that we can camp in and do up slowly, I don't need as many luxuries indoors in France....but I do need a pool. So looking at a long term project.
Ah....dreams are nice. But I agree with you, there is no point on waiting until we are retired before we make plans.

This site is brilliant for getting worries and things you'd normally keep to yourself off your chest...we're like a tight little group of virtual friends on here.

I agree, i can tell you guys things I wouldn't tell other friends! :)

Agree with all Tibbs said about you making such a fab change for the future for yourself and your family Tipp, and how exciting re France!

Last edited:
Lunch

Rocket, grated carrot, half tomato, 4baby boiled potatoes heated in half tsp coconut oil, half breast chicken coated in lentil muffin crumbs, dressing made from 2tsp cottage cheese, some water and half scallion. Clocks in at 360 cals. As recommended by @fit4hols I was going to have sparkling water with angousta bitters. I couldn't open the bottle so having the sparkling water with IKEA rhubarb syrup. About 50 cals.

View media item 4824

Just took some measurements, which o never did in the beginning.

Bust 42"
Waist 39"
Hips 43"
Upper arms 15"

Considering I am very chesty that is a very large waist. And my hips are including lower baggy belly.

Need to get swimming.

I think you're very brave posting your measurements..I've thought about it but then always chickened:)
And I like the sound of rhubarb syrup..I'll have to investigate next time I'm at IKEA, I never get any further than the packers of little daim bars:)

I think you're very brave posting your measurements:)

Well I need to write them down somewhere and here is as good as anywhere. I need to reduce my waist. I don't mind being curvey but would love to have a waist instead of being roundy and dumpy....more clothing choices.

10km cycle and then undid all my good efforts. Legs still shaky from cycle and I had to drive daughter one to town. Was starving so we went out for brunch and I had a full breakfast with chips and toast, a mountain of salt, fat and carbs.

I always enjoy it at the time but after not eating that type of food for a while it lies really heavy in your stomach doesn't it.
The cycle you did before hand though will be a help..10km:eek: you astound me:)

You are roughly the same measurements as me, I usually start finding my waist when I get to 11st..sadly, the chest never disappears as much as I'd like! X

Wowser that's a good long bike ride! After all that exercise, the full English won't be too bad :).

And what's the rhubarb syrup like? Never heard of that one before, but I do love rhubarb. When I was doing Atkins I had lots of the Da Vinci no sugar syrups.

No sugar syrups would be great, I must look for them. The rhubarb one had sugar in it. Its nice, rhubarby. I got it in IKEA, I don't know if its a regular one they stock, I know they always have elderflower.

I always enjoy it at the time but after not eating that type of food for a while it lies really heavy in your stomach doesn't it.

You are roughly the same measurements as me, I usually start finding my waist when I get to 11st..sadly, the chest never disappears as much as I'd like! X

The food caused a lot of wind.

My measurements may be similar but I'm sure I am shorter and therefore much too wide, particularly around the middle. I'm online 4'11"

The cycle felt good but I was managing up to 20km so feel bad that 10km is uncomfortable now. I hoping to do the same 10km again today and see if I can do it quicker or at least easier.

Caved again last night. After the fry I wasn't hungry at all and drove 90mins to a cookery class. I had a slice toast and half a scrambled egg. Got home 9pm to watch The Apprentice, lit the fire and opened the wine. Ended up drinking 4 glasses and having a cheese sandwich.
I had a great nights sleep then.
Two days of detox left, have now decided 10 days is too long but will take the last two detox shots.
Need to clean the kitchen today and start making some things for Oscars birthday, veg soup for me and hopefully a cycle later.

Wow some of them look good. I might try the health food shop first and see if they have anything.

Or just make some, problem is the sugar works as a preservative. We have apples and damsons to pick in the garden and blackberries in the field. Maybe I should juice them and reduce it and just freeze in ice cube trays

Soup cooking for today in pressure cooker. Onions, peppers, celery, carrots, spinach, tomatoes and spelt grains. That should keep me going. And I have two full garlic bulbs in the oven to make garluc and almond soup for tomorrow. Just about to try Jamie Olivers sweet potato muffins to see if they would be good for the class next week.
I need to be good today, I want a happy number on the scale tomorrow

I've just made the sweet potato muffins. They taste good but I think I would put more scallions in (well actually the right amount as I only had two left after making the soup) and maybe a little curry powder or gatam masala or even ras al hanout. Worth a try

The cycle felt good but I was managing up to 20km so feel bad that 10km is uncomfortable now. I hoping to do the same 10km again today and see if I can do it quicker or at least easier.

Did it, same cycle, 49 minutes yesterday and 44 today. I'd say the hills were about the same but I pushed harder on the flat. Definitely spent more time in 6th gear than yesterday.

I have two, tefal I think. Last years one is about 10l and I got it to pressure seal preserves but we used it for everything. Its brillant, just a click lid. It was too big for regular meals so we got a small4.5l this year. Tefal too but a much older model so you have to twist the lid closed. Have used it almost every day.
I got some sausage rolls prepared and frozen for Oscars birthday in 2 weeks and am hoping to make some meringues and ice cream too as we have lots of eggs to use up.

Back