Tools, tricks and technology

Most of that went way over my head - could you talk me through it if I got one? :cry:

sorry for late reply, been a busy-ish couple of days. Oooh dunno, I've never played teacher before! :D It took me about an hour to sort my mum's over Christmas. It's not that difficult, just a bit fiddly. Even without fiddling on it's still a pretty good phone. :)

Late response on android phones - sorry.

Sent my DH (he's a gadgety techie too!) off to do some research. There is a good deal at carphone warehouse for pay as you go Samsung i5500 Europa for 80 quid.

Reviews here
Samsung Galaxy Europa GT-i5500 Review | Mobile Phones | CNET UK
Samsung Galaxy Europa GT-i5500 review - Mobile Phone reviews - TrustedReviews

DH summary:
For
Android, so many functions available, either built in or downloadable as apps.

Against
Android! Different versions with different functions, so need to check apps for compatability.
Android! Can be a bit awkward to set up and use, as not designed specifically for this phone.
Battery life reported to be short by some reviewers.

As you can see he is not a full android fan - lol
Looks like quite a good value way to get into Android and see if it delivers the specs!

Hope that is useful
x

Love love LOVE my htc desire Bren... dead simple to use for us techno phobes but plenty to try as you get more used to it. x

Ok - well I promised earlier in the thread to think about apps for Iphone/touch that I use everyday/regularly or just like;)
So here's my current list:

Every day - free
Facebook
Xfeed - news feed - easy to customise and get access to all your info in one place
Evernote - see earlier in thread
Moodagent (0.59 for upgraded version) - like genius in itunes - you pick one song from your music & the app creates a playlist in the same mood (rhythm, beat, fire, romance) or you can move the sliders & see what ccomes up. Absolutely excellent and a great way to listen to more of your music collection
Minimins :D
Myfitnesspal -see earlier in thread

Everyday - Paid
Weatherpro 2.39 - good local forecasts and gives you current rain radar so you can take brolly
Saisuke calendar - free to test/5.99 full version - syncs with google calendars and can have multiple showing (eg dh, dd, mine, to dos)
UK Train times 4.99 - current live information great for commuting. When there were snow problems I knew more than guy at station lol

Regularly - free
Ereader - ebook that links to free download sites and fictionwise bookshelf (where I buy my sci fi)
Wikipanion - easy wiki access
Remote - for controlling apple kit (eg itunes, apple tv) from iphone/touch
Skype - free phones calls around the world - cant complain
Ebay - easy shopping
Amazon - easy shopping

Interesting/useful - free
Shazam - already mentioned - to find out what music is
Facedial/facepad - easy access to facetime calling or manual dial rather than through contacts
Pencil illusion - cool effect on photos
Dragon dictation - great little voice recognition app that you can copy & paste straight into sms
Flashlight - does what it says on the box!

And a few slightly different games - free
Aqueduct 101
Saving private sheep
Trace

Other categories I can give info on if anyone interested!
Books
Sailing
Travel
Movies
Navigation
Loads more games
Kiddy games

Am feeling very virtuous. Finally hooked up my LaCie 2TG external hard drive and copied my folders on the C drive and a whole load of movies I've got stored on my D drive - took a while, but now feel secure! :)

If you are willing to trust "the cloud" for your online backups.... take a look at:
Mozy - extremely good value for huge amounts of data. I've used it went my hard drive gave up. Works!
Sugarsync - more expensive depending on the amount of storage you need but really good access across multiple machines. I can actually access all my files from my iphone too!

I never have to worry about doing backups - it all happens automatically now :)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I use an app called "diabetes buddy" to keep track of my daily carb intake and water intake" you can even look up items in it's database and it already knows there net carb value. It saves each day so you can review it and have a look at what could have caused a slip up.

Oh that sounds good Beth, must have a little lookie. :)

Second hand one from ebay Bren? I love mine.

Still way out of my league right now - HTC Wildfire is still calling my name though. It is just committing to it................

Has anyone else updated the iPhone app in the lady few days? Next to the thread title I'm now getting a pic and the name of the last person who posted rather than whose thread it is. All very confusing when you're pushed for time and there's so much activity at the mo. It's the same if I use the subscribed threads page instead of the main forum page.
It also means in about half an hour I will have a full page of Jim's avatar lol.

Looks like I'll have to stop posting then Lisa. ;) still it could be worse, it might be Vicky. :D

Back