TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

Good morning and thank you :) Do you keep a food diary?
well done Exi, you are welcome.

It's meant to be funny here, but serious work gets done away from here

glad you like it and welcome to the Tough Love boot camp!

Oh blimey, eating really well, but drinking wine. STRESS. Help Rod???!!!

Mrs T, step away from the wine now....

Stress will be doubled by your fretting over the damage to the diet drinking will be doing. Therefore you are chasing your tail. Closely follwed by me attempting to kick you in it

If you are stressed, you need to take some time alone and walk it off with your favourite music. Everything in life which challenges us is an opportunity to make something good happen, which requires effort and willpower. You are on plan so you need to dig a tiny bit deeper and resist the call of the bottle

failing that a shot of vodka and a knee-trembler with the husband won't do much harm!

Amazing thread - posting to subscribe

Am on holiday at the moment in Greece and my food plan (low carb/Atkins veggie) hasn't exactly gone to plan, so am trying to rein things in while I'm still here and then back on a strict 'straight and narrow' when I get home on Thurs. If I'm still struggling then may well pop in here for a dose of tough love. Don't really need to hear people justifying it for me by saying 'you're on holiday, live a little' even though I know they mean well.
Things were absolutely on track and I was at my goal weight before I left, and I worked so hard to get there I just don't want to slip back

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

hey Elle, nice one mate, of course you must relax a little on holiday, everyone does, but it is also an opportunity to do different things to shock your body

Swim - and set yourself a target of so many lengths/meters per day

Enjoy the food, but watch the portions and the olive oil

and if it's crept up a little when you return, firm your resolve for three hard days of getting back on the plan and then WEIGH, holiday bloat will come off quickly and this will help to inspire you to undo the damage, if any.

Bristol eh? Hope you're blue or things will be tough for you, LOL!!

Good morning and thank you :) Do you keep a food diary?

hi, no I don't keep a food diary as such, because it's a very boring regime! But I don't care cos it's working!

I do post occasionally what I am doing food-wise and this can be found in my diary

http://www.minimins.com/members-only-diaries/269265-my-diary-my-life-my-way.html

mostly my diary is me fighting my way through the week and the healthy eating plan to go fishing!

I use a pretty common sense approach to my weight loss, no gimmicks or cutting ot food groups, the three main factors I subscribe to are

1) almost nil alcohol
2) nothing over 5% saturated fat
3) strict portion size

I started out using guidlines from Rosemary Conley on a 1200cal kickstart plan and shed 8lb first week, which has now averaged out to around 3lb per week I'd guess

I have upped the exercise to about 20 miles walking per week plus the fishing, which is mobile cliff hiking, I can cover 2-4 miles in a session, which is sometimes almost vertical - I don't sit on a riverbank!

this is me February 2011 approx 20st

BassTripFeb11004.jpg

this is me early May 2012 (with my fishing buddy Nick) 17st 7

SDB2012014.jpg

this is me last sunday before a session on the RHIB 17st 1

IMGP0568.jpg

that's me, anyone got some photo's of results to share?

That's fantastic congratulations and well done on the great work ethic. Pics are great! The proof is there that its working for you.
Like that I've stopped doing diets they mess with not just my body but also my head and I developed a very bad (bulemic) relationship with food. So now I only eat real food, wholegrains and unprocessed carbohydrates as much as possible, lean meat in small quantities, a lot of veg and some fruit. I've restriced my dairy intake and completely removed cheese becuase its something I find very hard to stop if I start. I take a protein shake or two to supplement my protein intake becuase of the reduced amount of meat. I stick to a low calorie diet on week days and allow myself a bit more at the weekends especially on a Friday night as its dinner out with OH. This means I enjoy it alot more too because there's no guilt attached and I've found lately that I'm inclined to go for the salad or lighter options because I've come accustomed to that.
I exercise a lot, sometimes too much, and I've started doing a 10k race at least once a month for the summer months to have little goals to aim for. Next ones on Monday actually. I have been sticking rigidly to this plan for 2 months and have lost virtually NO WEIGHT. I don't cheat if I'm having something bold I own up to it. If I don't exercise I make it back the next day. I'm not complaining as I feel wonderful 99% of the time and I know my plan is doing a lot for my health. Since I started this and OH has been eating what I eat in double the quantity and exercises similarly to me but not as much and hes lost 3% body fat and gained a huge amount of muscle infact one of these days his 6 pack is going be very visible.
The weird thing is people keep saying I look slimmer even though haven't lost weight or inches?!

Any comments/suggestions?

It adds up to 1999 kcals... I am 100% back on plan, just need to work out my exercise plan now. Any suggestions? Thanks for the advice x

you need to briskly walk approx 13 miles

don't do it all in one go, do two today, tow tomorrow, etc etc and three on day six

that will encourage your metabolism to heat up and burn calories - in a week you should have at least maintained at worst

I am no exercise guru, I do things very simply, small poritons, less than 5% fat and plenty of brisk walking - it works and it's not glamorous but nor am I !!

good girl LisaJade, you are doing everything right x

That's fantastic congratulations and well done on the great work ethic. Pics are great! The proof is there that its working for you.
Like that I've stopped doing diets they mess with not just my body but also my head and I developed a very bad (bulemic) relationship with food. So now I only eat real food, wholegrains and unprocessed carbohydrates as much as possible, lean meat in small quantities, a lot of veg and some fruit. I've restriced my dairy intake and completely removed cheese becuase its something I find very hard to stop if I start. I take a protein shake or two to supplement my protein intake becuase of the reduced amount of meat. I stick to a low calorie diet on week days and allow myself a bit more at the weekends especially on a Friday night as its dinner out with OH. This means I enjoy it alot more too because there's no guilt attached and I've found lately that I'm inclined to go for the salad or lighter options because I've come accustomed to that.
I exercise a lot, sometimes too much, and I've started doing a 10k race at least once a month for the summer months to have little goals to aim for. Next ones on Monday actually. I have been sticking rigidly to this plan for 2 months and have lost virtually NO WEIGHT. I don't cheat if I'm having something bold I own up to it. If I don't exercise I make it back the next day. I'm not complaining as I feel wonderful 99% of the time and I know my plan is doing a lot for my health. Since I started this and OH has been eating what I eat in double the quantity and exercises similarly to me but not as much and hes lost 3% body fat and gained a huge amount of muscle infact one of these days his 6 pack is going be very visible.
The weird thing is people keep saying I look slimmer even though haven't lost weight or inches?!

Any comments/suggestions?

thats very interesting actually, the only thing I could assist with is the thought that with all that exercise and no weight loss, you are possibly losing fat and accumulating lean body mass (muscle) which is heavier than fat...????

seriously, when you are very fit and healthy what you actually weigh doesn't matter. Pro rugby players are as fit as you can get and their BMI is off the scale. I have a very good friend who is an ex-Welsh international and i constantly glean tips from him, he knows what he is talking about.

you don't need tough love, you need to be MY guru!! :D

Hahahahahhahaha Guru Rod you've a great sense of humour. We soldier on eh?! I'll keep you updated on how it goes I'm off the protein shakes for this week to see what happens but I don't want to waste muscle tissue by training on empty either....

thats very interesting actually, the only thing I could assist with is the thought that with all that exercise and no weight loss, you are possibly losing fat and accumulating lean body mass (muscle) which is heavier than fat...????

seriously, when you are very fit and healthy what you actually weigh doesn't matter. Pro rugby players are as fit as you can get and their BMI is off the scale. I have a very good friend who is an ex-Welsh international and i constantly glean tips from him, he knows what he is talking about.

you don't need tough love, you need to be MY guru!! :D

Thanks - probably my mistake was bringing my scales with me (!!!) so every day I can literally see the pounds going back on. Will be straight back in the gym and the food plan when I get back, and in the meantime swimming's a good idea. Not long to go now as flying home tomorrow.

Btw don't support reds or the blues, not really a footie fan myself, although in our house cant get away from it as hubby is a Liverpool supporter - thank God for having 2 TVs!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Rod the Bass said:
Mrs T, step away from the wine now....

Stress will be doubled by your fretting over the damage to the diet drinking will be doing. Therefore you are chasing your tail. Closely follwed by me attempting to kick you in it

If you are stressed, you need to take some time alone and walk it off with your favourite music. Everything in life which challenges us is an opportunity to make something good happen, which requires effort and willpower. You are on plan so you need to dig a tiny bit deeper and resist the call of the bottle

failing that a shot of vodka and a knee-trembler with the husband won't do much harm!

Brilliant. Thanks. Do you know I've never tried Vodka !!!!!!

Vodka is my chosen poison too. I know you're advocating abstinence, Rod, but sometimes the thought of that Friday night tipple is the only thing that gets me through the week in one piece!

Vodka is my chosen poison too. I know you're advocating abstinence, Rod, but sometimes the thought of that Friday night tipple is the only thing that gets me through the week in one piece!

well we need you in one piece to offer me congrats when I dust you in our challenge eh?

:winner:

In your dreams anyway... I do have to thank you for your tough love though. School sports day today. 2 options. Leave the dog at home, walk kids to school, quick coffee next door to school with the Mummys and then back in to school for the beginning of sports day. OR the one I chose, thanks to you. Walk the kids AND dog to school, walk the dog back home again, walk back to school for the beginning of sports day, walk to the coffee shop at break time for a take out coffee, walk back to school for the rest of sports day, collect the kids and walk back home again. Poor wee legs don't know what has hit them now although they should be used to a fair bit of walking. BRING IT ON!

Alcohol - I only drink it maybe twice a year, so when I do, I have what I enjoy which is cider. 2 pints is PLENTY to get me merry :D The main issue with alcohol is that I make TERRIBLE food choices once I've had a drink. I have my wedding in August, so that will be the next alcohol I have, then maybe one or 2 on christmas day. I'm such a boring old fart :D

In your dreams anyway... I do have to thank you for your tough love though. School sports day today. 2 options. Leave the dog at home, walk kids to school, quick coffee next door to school with the Mummys and then back in to school for the beginning of sports day. OR the one I chose, thanks to you. Walk the kids AND dog to school, walk the dog back home again, walk back to school for the beginning of sports day, walk to the coffee shop at break time for a take out coffee, walk back to school for the rest of sports day, collect the kids and walk back home again. Poor wee legs don't know what has hit them now although they should be used to a fair bit of walking. BRING IT ON!

Proper, thats the spirit! and a happy dog too!

Look forward to showing you my update on friday, think I'm losing weight typing this now.....I can just feel it :D

Officially fit to collapse, one and half hour training session followed by Shred level 2................ouuuuuuuuuch

the gods smiled on me and I managed to lose 0.5lb after my blips! Feeling super-revved and ready to kick some major butt :D

Back