TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

And what's the forfeit if you all lose? Fish-holding photos?

I like it - and smiley's suggestion if we lose. But smiley, we are the bassers and have been taught well! We will NOT lose!!

(or should that be we WILL lose?!,!?!)

they're all out WALKING Emma - off you go cherub!!

I am having a night off, I've walked enough in the last 48 hours

Hope you had a good weekend Rod.

Just chipping in with a very hard-earned 2p on the even numbers...

I gave up completely a couple of years ago, because I realised that I was drinking alone, and it didn't make my happy in any way, and I didn't like the person I was when I was drunk. After a year teetotal I starting drinking again, but only in very small amounts and proper social occasions. Nobody thought I was a killjoy, and it saved me a lot of money, and improved my health no end.

They key with exercise is to do the right sort of exercise - you need to build up lovely muscle that will increase your basal metabolic rate, so you can diet in your sleep. Bad exercise (e.g. jogging rather than running, or doing a feeble breaststroke in the granny lane) will damage your body, and a purely aerobic programme will cause you to LOSE muscle mass because your body will start to get rid of your muscle so that it's less to carry around. Do some strength training - you won't end up looking like Arnie or Jodie Marsh unless you go to the extremes that they do, you'll just look sleek and sexy.

Being on a 100% food replacement diet, this is the hardest bit. I still cook for the family, and the 'automatic feeding' is the hardest thing to control - last night I nearly snaffled a spare roast potato! One of the things I've realised now that I can't eat at all is just how much extra stuff you can end up eating, especially if you're a parent cooking family meals - if you think about popping in that tattie, but you've already got four on the plate. And you have to get in the habit of putting leftovers in the bin or in the dog.

If you're following Rod's rules, why not add Smiley's Golden Rule - no snacking between meals, including fizzy drinks or sugary tea and coffee. Get all your calories at meal times, and get nothing inbetween.

Quick fitness question for u....with regards to running..what kind of minute mile or km should I be aiming for? I know running isnt the best exercise...but I do love it, as exercise buddies make me accountable! I do interval training sessions about twice a week...and some resistance training, but noticed what u said earlier about jogging, and just wondered what to aim for? Thanks!

Am trying out ur advice re: the snacking this week too

Welcome back boss....good result all round for u!

Great photos, and inspirational post. U lead by example, good way to start the week.

I'm back

I've had a quick look around, given the newbie a gentle lashing and I like what I see.

You can all take the p!ss all you like out of me, I don't give a hoot as long as you are walking your chosen line. And everyone is trying very hard, well done

there are quite a few "oo, wait till Rod gets back" posts! Are you scared to dish it out without me?? If so, WHY???

Here's my rundown

Packed a big bag of food based on LOTS of tips I got here - thanks guys

I traversed Cornwall with my mate Steve and a few other compers on occasion on search of the fish, we landed LOADS, had 5 hours sleep between friday morning 6am and last night (sunday) 12.30am

I left weighing 16-7

I returned weighing 16-5, which is what I am this morning - a new low and 4lbs away from 4st gone!

I have walked approx 30 miles this weekend up and down some very steep cliffs and not felt a thing. I slept in the rain under a tarpaulin on friday night and in the car on sat night

Yesterday I got up at 3.00am, walked three miles in the dark, clambered down a cliff face with three ropes, jumped gullies, avoided waves, cut myself off on the rising tide and landed this bad ***** - she took three minutes to fight and land and I ran approx fifty yards across the reef to stop her getting away. With a rucksack on my back!!

IMGP1454.jpg

If you imagine that 10,000 years ago people had to hunt like this every day just to live, it puts our sad, soft lives into very sharp perspective

Anyway this fish gave me 4th place (yes they come a LOT bigger) out of 63 in the comp.

This is what makes the planning and the discipline with my diet lifestyle worthwhile.

I am a miles better angler this year cos I am fitter to do it.

If you were fitter to do the things you love the most, how would you feel?

So a great weekend

Lost weight
4th best lure angler in Cornwall
plenty of fresh air and exercise
sleep would be great right now, but thats the price you pay, I'll catch up

and do you know what?

I thought of you guys every time I opened my cool bag

If everyone else has those motivational thoughts when away from the keyboard, those pounds of fat (great photo whoever that was!) are HISTORY

onwards and downwards

here are a few photo's, this is my version of chit-chat, if you don't like them fine, I don't like you lot yipping on about dresses and periods, but we'll all hang together and get through it ok?

Steve and the boys get down the cliff
CLF001.jpg

South Cornwall
CLF031.jpg

Yep we are going down there - don't look down, Alton Towers eat your heart out
CLF033.jpg

North Cornwall coast
CLF034.jpg

How romantic is that?
CLF038.jpg

Steve, Paul and Mat - yep, just let it drop a bit more and in we go
CLF035.jpg

now crack on people, I can do it and so can you

GAME ON

conlou1 said:
Sweat it not, if you know your doing it right just keep on. Is there anything you think that could have hindered a loss? Drinking enough, eating larger portions than usual? Snacking more?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Nope. Nothing like that - the only difference was that I did weekly syns as I had a busy weekend planned. And its *week (sorry boys) But I don't feel like that's a good enough excuse and i still used fewer syns than I should have over the week. Maybe that way of counting isn't for me.

I think maybe I need to start exercising properly and that will help. Got my first boot amp session on weds so hopefully that will help this week.

Quick fitness question for u....with regards to running..what kind of minute mile or km should I be aiming for?
Unless you're racing, you shouldn't!

To build strength and lose weight you should use a run-walk cycle - run at about 75-80% of full speed for as long as you can, and then walk gently for twice that amount of time. The main thing about running at speed, especially if your body isn't used to it, is posture. There are about a million articles on the theory of running posture, and no-one agrees on a 'perfect' form, but there are two essential parts:

Lower body technique. Your feet and knees should be pointing forwards, not outwards or inwards. You should be pushing yourself forwards and upwards (each stride is like a miniature long-jump), and you should be landing on the ball of your front foot, directly underneath your hip, with your rear foot kicking up slightly behind you. One way to tell you are running well is which part of your foot hits the ground first - if it's the heel, then you are going too slow and you are sending shock waves up your legs and through your spine (ie. what I call 'jogging').

Upper body technique. You need to lean slightly forward, and your shoulders and tummy muscles need to be lose and relaxed. Your arms should come up diagonally across your front, not backwards and forwards. When you get too tired to hold your back straight and your chin up in this fast running pose, it's time to stop. Until you are very fit, your legs will be able to go on much longer than you neck and spine can, so don't keep going until your legs burn because you'll injure your upper body, so walk home from here.

Unfortunately, if you follow that advice you'll become incredibly efficient, which means that you'll burn hardly any calories while running! But by using a run-walk cycle, you'll build muscle mass and therefore metabolic rate, so you'll win in the end.

sparty said:
Nope. Nothing like that - the only difference was that I did weekly syns as I had a busy weekend planned. And its *week (sorry boys) But I don't feel like that's a good enough excuse and i still used fewer syns than I should have over the week. Maybe that way of counting isn't for me.

I think maybe I need to start exercising properly and that will help. Got my first boot amp session on weds so hopefully that will help this week.

It will be water retention. * week isn't to be used as an excuse to eat bad then moan when you gain and blame it on that but you haven't done that, water retention during this week is a fact, it's not an excuse and it's common to temporary gain upto 5 pounds. If its not gone by next week then your doing something wrong, if you have a loss next week then don't give it a second thought. Just go back to what worked and try not to dwell

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Great...thanks for the reply to that! The more I have incorporated exercise that increases metabolic rate...the better my losses and tone. Good advice can be hard to come by, cheers

Unless you're racing, you shouldn't!

To build strength and lose weight you should use a run-walk cycle - run at about 75-80% of full speed for as long as you can, and then walk gently for twice that amount of time. The main thing about running at speed, especially if your body isn't used to it, is posture. There are about a million articles on the theory of running posture, and no-one agrees on a 'perfect' form, but there are two essential parts:

Lower body technique. Your feet and knees should be pointing forwards, not outwards or inwards. You should be pushing yourself forwards and upwards (each stride is like a miniature long-jump), and you should be landing on the ball of your front foot, directly underneath your hip, with your rear foot kicking up slightly behind you. One way to tell you are running well is which part of your foot hits the ground first - if it's the heel, then you are going too slow and you are sending shock waves up your legs and through your spine (ie. what I call 'jogging').

Upper body technique. You need to lean slightly forward, and your shoulders and tummy muscles need to be lose and relaxed. Your arms should come up diagonally across your front, not backwards and forwards. When you get too tired to hold your back straight and your chin up in this fast running pose, it's time to stop. Until you are very fit, your legs will be able to go on much longer than you neck and spine can, so don't keep going until your legs burn because you'll injure your upper body, so walk home from here.

Unfortunately, if you follow that advice you'll become incredibly efficient, which means that you'll burn hardly any calories while running! But by using a run-walk cycle, you'll build muscle mass and therefore metabolic rate, so you'll win in the end.

I've been to see/hear Sir Ranulph Fiennes speak tonight. Now there's an inspirational man; his fitness and motivation are astounding.

I've been to see/hear Sir Ranulph Fiennes speak tonight. Now there's an inspirational man; his fitness and motivation are astounding.

Awesome Sally! Bet that was a really interesting talk too.

Today was the day I discovered that early morning exercise is not for me... In positive Tough Love notes, I snuck into my local Starbucks last night and didn't by any of their ridiculously expensive and calorie laden drinks. Go me! I also went out for dinner, and finished when I was full instead of clearing the plate. My friend finished my Pasta and her Sandwich... How she is so skinny is beyond me... :rolleyes:

mornin

hope all of you are feeling motivated and working hard

I had bass en papillote for tea last night, one of the monsters I caught at the weekend fed the whole family - thats me, the OH, and the three kids aged 10,8 and 4

they all LOVED it (like they do every time), it's so nice to see them go WOW when I bring it home,then ask for more around the table

It's easy cooking too

here's my recipe

1x 4lb wild caught bass, cleaned and gutted
1 sweet potato
2 onions
1 red pepper
2 chopped carrots
1 head of garlic (cloves loose but not skinned)
handful of cherry tomatoes
sprinkle of smoked paprika on the veg
1/2 a chorizo sliced
small glass of white wine
couple twists of pepper

Cookedbass001.jpg

Cookedbass002.jpg

wrap it all up in foil, preheat oven to max for 15 mins, bung it in the oven and reduce to 180deg straight away, let it cook for an hour

Unwrap at the table, billows of steam and cooked yumminess fill the room

Cookedbass003.jpg

eat as fast as you can with Chablis (yes just a small one) and fresh, proper apple juice for the kids

serve with brown bread and butter for the skinny kids and the missus who is 9.5st and runs half marathons!

Cost - about £3! Value - Priceless

oh and the only vanity I have is my fishing, so if I can brag a bit, it only just fit into the oven!! :D

Back