TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

Hahaha sorry, it's annoying isn't it - but I did run over 15 miles and swam for an hour...and I was good for 5 of the 7 days, so I guess that just counteracted the 7 slices of pizza! I am sure I will get my comeuppance this week, will struggle to exercise as much.
and i think thats the point isnt it? to be able to go out ON OCCASSION andhave a good time then get back to it after, and that obvioulsy worked for you! im only jealous coz even after all my biking and a week of under 1200 a day i still only lost 1lb lol but just 1 more for me and ill be in those 10s!!! :) x

BonnieBooBear said:
Hahaha sorry, it's annoying isn't it - but I did run over 15 miles and swam for an hour...and I was good for 5 of the 7 days, so I guess that just counteracted the 7 slices of pizza! I am sure I will get my comeuppance this week, will struggle to exercise as much.

Maybe that jolt of high cals gave your metabolism a boost? That is in theory how the alternate day fasting works, by boosting your metabolism. Whatever it was its great we'll done :)

Maybe that jolt of high cals gave your metabolism a boost? That is in theory how the alternate day fasting works, by boosting your metabolism. Whatever it was its great we'll done :)

Well I honestly think there is something in that idea - because at the beginning when I was struggling to loose (when I was in the high elevens, had a couple of weeks of sts/small gains) I was religious about sticking to 1200 cals. It is only since I have a) really upped the exercise and b) had a couple of slipups a week, that the weight has started shifting. I am sure you can't go on forever like it, but it is almost like my body is not afraid to loose the weight because now and again it gets a nice topup of cals!

Well I honestly think there is something in that idea - because at the beginning when I was struggling to loose (when I was in the high elevens, had a couple of weeks of sts/small gains) I was religious about sticking to 1200 cals. It is only since I have a) really upped the exercise and b) had a couple of slipups a week, that the weight has started shifting. I am sure you can't go on forever like it, but it is almost like my body is not afraid to loose the weight because now and again it gets a nice topup of cals!
would LOVE to give that theory a go lol, but im so scared of a gain, i dont think i could do it!

this is how the alternate day diet works and why i found it appealing, you have very low one day then whatever you want the next, but i think thats whats made me ill...the 'whatever you want' and ive been having chocolate, meat pie and white bread, its probably eating all of those things cos i have been told i can if i want that have caused the bad reactipon, i think in that way this diet is wrong i think it needs to promote more healthy eating on the up days and some exercise. ill still do occasional fasting but i think i just need to get into a healthier mind set. right now im one step away from an eating disorder.

Hi All - well done on the loss Bonnie. Of course its fine to go off plan occasionally and you have more than made up for it in the exercise stakes. Surely that's the whole point - who wants to be on a diet for their whole lives - how miserable would that be?! We've all seen the people (some of us have even done it ourselves) who have adopted a slavish regime to food and exercise, hit target and then taken the foot off the gas and lo and behold there goes the weight back on. Whatever we do to lose weight - food and exercise - we have to be able to sustain it long term so there's little point in adopting a plan which you can't possibly adhere to or even wish to adhere to for a length of time.

Lou - lou, lou, lou. I agree with the others on here. I think some good results have been achieved by the fasting method - especially the two days a week approach which the bloke off the horizon tv programme did. But he didn't stuff his gob with all kinds of pies and chocs on his non-fasting days. I don't think these types of diets work unless you have a healthy attitude to food in the first place. He wasn't overweight for example to start with, although he did have some health issues. See how you go with the calorie counting again - hopefully you will start to feel better. You have really seemed to lost your sparkle over the past couple of weeks if you don't mind me saying so and it would be fab to get the old Lou back - toilet habits and all :D

Cat Lover Sue said:
Hi All - well done on the loss Bonnie. Of course its fine to go off plan occasionally and you have more than made up for it in the exercise stakes. Surely that's the whole point - who wants to be on a diet for their whole lives - how miserable would that be?! We've all seen the people (some of us have even done it ourselves) who have adopted a slavish regime to food and exercise, hit target and then taken the foot off the gas and lo and behold there goes the weight back on. Whatever we do to lose weight - food and exercise - we have to be able to sustain it long term so there's little point in adopting a plan which you can't possibly adhere to or even wish to adhere to for a length of time.

Lou - lou, lou, lou. I agree with the others on here. I think some good results have been achieved by the fasting method - especially the two days a week approach which the bloke off the horizon tv programme did. But he didn't stuff his gob with all kinds of pies and chocs on his non-fasting days. I don't think these types of diets work unless you have a healthy attitude to food in the first place. He wasn't overweight for example to start with, although he did have some health issues. See how you go with the calorie counting again - hopefully you will start to feel better. You have really seemed to lost your sparkle over the past couple of weeks if you don't mind me saying so and it would be fab to get the old Lou back - toilet habits and all :D

I know I don't feel like myself, I feel really down. I'm looking after mums dog and shes eating EVERYTHING and I have the kids off school and nursery, and I'm feeling really bogged down and totally stressed out. I can't get on top of anything and as soon as I turn my back either the kids are being naughty or the dog is. I could do with a break

That sounds enough to stress anybody out, let alone someone who's not feeling very well. You are going to need to eat some decent sustaining food to get you through that. Do you have any porridge or perhaps beans on toast (brown wholemeal bread)? Any chance of wearing the kids and dog out on a walk?

*delurks*

I tried JUDDD for a couple of weeks and IMO nobody who has ever suffered from an eating disorder or a tendency to depression should touch it with a bargepole.

I've never had an ED, but I could feel how it would be horribly easy to segue from those starvation down days into just barely eating at all, or the up days resulting in massive bingeing followed by guilt and purging. And as for depression, I'm normally fairly upbeat but by the end of week two I felt like I was losing my mind tbh - intensely irritable, crying for no reason, insanely obsessed with food every waking hour...it was truly awful.

I think Cat Lover Sue is right. Diets like this work best for people who have a healthy relationship with food already; a borderline binge-eater such as myself was always going to find it hugely unsettling and potentially very unhealthy.

I'd get some good protein in you asap if I were you, Lou. Nice big salmon steak or large helping of chicken would be good. If you've been eating little but junk your body is probably screaming at you for something nutrition-dense by now - I know mine was.

Good luck!

*relurks*

SCIENCE BOY I NEEEEEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!!

ive been doing alternate day diet for 2 weeks now, ive been having 3 days a week 500 or less cals and 4 days over 2000, im eating more junk than usual on the up days, on monday (down day) i was sat watching tv and started having palpitations, i was drinking a drink with sweetner in at the time so put it down to that and cut it out.....yesterday was an up day so i went for a jog and was getting mild pains in my chest on the right hand side when i ran (i put it down to not having a sports bra on lol) then today ive been having palpitations again, i am a bit stressed cos my mums dog is driving me nuts eating everything and the kids are off school and nursery but its when i sit down and do nothing my heart starts going weird, its getting worse. no pain and i feel ok apart from a burning feeling in my throat. ive read up on fasting and palpatations are apparently normal, but im not doing days on end of fasting (like what your doing on vlcd) im doing a day on and a day off.....am i still going throuhg the changes youd go through on a proper fasting diet, albeit slowly cos of the burst of food in between? i am covered in spots, my allergies have all kicked off, my eyes are really swollen, my dermatitis has kicked off big time on my head and hands, my legs are covered in a rash, im tired all the time, i feel like im in detox....what i want to know if you or anyone else can answer me...is this normal? will it pass or should i stop this diet now cos its making me ill? i dont want to quit, i hate quitting but i also dont want to end up in a and e on a heart monitor...which tbh if it carries on i think ill be heading, im getting really scared. but thats probably making it worse isnt it? help!

Heart palpitations are a strong signal of hypoglycaemia - not enough glucose in your blood. This would be caused by not having enough simple carbohydrate in your low calorie diet - since you're only fasting on alternate days you won't enter ketosis, where the body uses ketones (from body fat) instead of glucose for some things, so you need to make sure you get enough carbs.

On your down days, you need to eat food that is quite high in carbs (preferably with a low GI as well so that it's released slowly) and high in protein (which your body will convert to glucose when the carbs run out) and as low in fat as possible (since you can't make glucose from fat). The more exercise you do, the more carbs you'll need. And onyour up days you'll need to eat more carbs to replace the lost glycogen from the down day.

Drinks with artificial sweeteners are terrible for dieters anyway - drink water.

There's a simple test you can do - get hold of some dextrose tablets, and if you get the palpitations again, pop one in. If the palpitations and chest pain go away, then it's hypoglycaemia.

Stress will make it all worse as well. Chuck the dog off an overpass and tell your mum the lead snapped.

SmileyMan said:
Heart palpitations are a strong signal of hypoglycaemia - not enough glucose in your blood. This would be caused by not having enough simple carbohydrate in your low calorie diet - since you're only fasting on alternate days you won't enter ketosis, where the body uses ketones (from body fat) instead of glucose for some things, so you need to make sure you get enough carbs.

On your down days, you need to eat food that is quite high in carbs (preferably with a low GI as well so that it's released slowly) and high in protein (which your body will convert to glucose when the carbs run out) and as low in fat as possible (since you can't make glucose from fat). The more exercise you do, the more carbs you'll need. And onyour up days you'll need to eat more carbs to replace the lost glycogen from the down day.

Drinks with artificial sweeteners are terrible for dieters anyway - drink water.

There's a simple test you can do - get hold of some dextrose tablets, and if you get the palpitations again, pop one in. If the palpitations and chest pain go away, then it's hypoglycaemia.

Stress will make it all worse as well. Chuck the dog off an overpass and tell your mum the lead snapped.[/.QUOTE]

Sorry to disagree but palpitations and chest pain need a doctor not dextrose tablets.

Last edited:
I know I don't feel like myself, I feel really down. I'm looking after mums dog and shes eating EVERYTHING and I have the kids off school and nursery, and I'm feeling really bogged down and totally stressed out. I can't get on top of anything and as soon as I turn my back either the kids are being naughty or the dog is. I could do with a break

Poor Lou, my heart goes out to you. How long till the dog goes back and the kids go back to school? (do they go back?) Perhaps you could ask your hubby to take them for a couple of hours at the weekend, so that you can have a bit of a relax? Maybe at the local pool? Or even just in a coffee shop with a book? You are doing so well to manage it all and not go off plan. I recon sensible low cal eating will help you feel more in control. Big hugs.

Stress will make it all worse as well. Chuck the dog off an overpass and tell your mum the lead snapped.

Sorry Smiley, just noticed how close you are to your third goal! Surely next WI that pesky no.3 is gonna go green. Well done, you are doing so well.

Sorry to disagree but palpitations and chest pain need a doctor not dextrose tablets.
I totally agree, however the advice was based on the assumption that lou is the sort of person who won't go see a doctor because as we all know, the doc's suggestion will be either 'lose weight' or 'change your diet'

*delurks*

I tried JUDDD for a couple of weeks and IMO nobody who has ever suffered from an eating disorder or a tendency to depression should touch it with a bargepole.

I've never had an ED, but I could feel how it would be horribly easy to segue from those starvation down days into just barely eating at all, or the up days resulting in massive bingeing followed by guilt and purging. And as for depression, I'm normally fairly upbeat but by the end of week two I felt like I was losing my mind tbh - intensely irritable, crying for no reason, insanely obsessed with food every waking hour...it was truly awful.

I think Cat Lover Sue is right. Diets like this work best for people who have a healthy relationship with food already; a borderline binge-eater such as myself was always going to find it hugely unsettling and potentially very unhealthy.

I'd get some good protein in you asap if I were you, Lou. Nice big salmon steak or large helping of chicken would be good. If you've been eating little but junk your body is probably screaming at you for something nutrition-dense by now - I know mine was.

Good luck!

*relurks*

oh hello there? thank you so much for replying and saying that, i started a thread within the juddd corner and no one else has experienced how i felt, i thikn my being run down is being caused by numerous things but i think your right, i feel like im losing the bloody plot, im sooooo grumpy on my DD then on my UD im gorging cos i feel ive missed out, its getting me into all the habits i fought hard to break, maybe i do have some sort of eating disorder im not sure, and i also noticed that majority of people doing the juddd diet have come from doing vlcd, so this is maybe why they are euphoric over it cos theyve gone from not eating to eating every other day. i dont feel great like i thought i would, tbh the best ive felt on any diet is on sw....i was tempted to go back on it but the problem i have with it is it doesnt concentrate on portion control, which is where i seriously struggle, i dont have a limit and if im told i CAN eat as its ok it wont affect anything although i know this isnt true the greedy meee does a somersault and i fill my face cos i am deep down a greedy pig lol.

thanks very much for your reply, i have eaten carbs and protein today and i feel better already, still not great but better and calmer. ive just started running 3 times a week so im sure this coupled with a lower intake of food wasnt going to do me any good was it really?

Poor Lou, my heart goes out to you. How long till the dog goes back and the kids go back to school? (do they go back?) Perhaps you could ask your hubby to take them for a couple of hours at the weekend, so that you can have a bit of a relax? Maybe at the local pool? Or even just in a coffee shop with a book? You are doing so well to manage it all and not go off plan. I recon sensible low cal eating will help you feel more in control. Big hugs.

thanks bonnie, ive not felt this depressed for a while, i was so sure this was the diet for me and never expected it to make me feel so confused and depressed. as i said above the healthiest and probably happiest and stable ive felt is when following sw but the problem with that is i dont tend to lose weight cos of the free food and portion control issue....maybe a combination of it like what you do (is it you?) of eating sw foods but watching your free food intake and cc? when i first joined this thread i was doing cc, but after 6 weeks i got so sick of being restricted every single day and then with all the social things i had going on i went off track....im going to sit tonight on mfp and go through what i was eating and how much and try to copy that plan, as it worked and i felt good on it....

im not feeling out of control or anything and i know i will lose more weight doing cc, im just miffed as i enjoyed eating 'what i wanted' on my up days, but its just not for me eh? i have salmon, fresh egg noodles and stir fry veg for tea, a good wholesome meal, but im off for a run first at about half 5, and ive done lots of walking today :D

as for the stupid dog......monday/tuesday vcant come soon enough!

yeh lou i do that too, i do SW, follow SW rules but i also keep track of what im eating on MFP, and i dont snack either anymore, i also have a smaller plate than averyone else in my house lol i know i dont have an inspirational weightloss, but i do loose consistantly, ive never had a gain, and although my losses are small, im still pleased!
but i do feel soo much healthier since doing SW, as ive said before i have suffered with an ED and depression for years, an its only since doing SW that ive felt strong enough to come off medication and im finally discovering "me"
i decided to live by the rule healthy body = healthy mind = happy me and so far its working! :)
SW is a good one to sustain for life, u can still keep ur syns for a night out be that for alcohol or food!
i also follow red days, so that my carb intake is limited, and i feel so much more in control that way, so maybe starting SW again wouldnt be such a bad idea? lol n ill tell u right now "that stuffing ur face with free food can have adverse effects on ur weightloss, but u can, if u so wished stuff it with superfree veg until U R FULL (NOT SICK!) and loose!" just eat when u r hungry, stoip when u r full, choose superfree 1st and u cant go far wrong! :) so u take control of those portions urself, and get those last few lbs off! xxx

Just home from work and checking in. Loving the Lou love on here. That's what I love about this forum and this thread in particular, good sound common sense advice along with some geek boy science :)D) thrown in. Very supportive and caring without resorting to <<hugs>> and "never mind, just eat a kebab and it will all get better"!!

And I do appreciate that was chat but I don't care cause Rod's away! :p

While rods away the cat will play eh? Lol

Yeah thanks guys you've been really supportive, I'm going to do that loola, combine Sw and cc, but I need to learn to allow myself social times with wine and not fly off course, look at bonnie having pizza and booze and still lost 2.....I want to be like that again. I had a good chat with my friend who I go running with and she said
"come on Lou, you know you can't eat crap and feel good, eat less, eat well and exercise-you know this" and my reply "yes your right I do, I guess it was the little fat girl in me wanting to believe I could eat what I wanted every other day and lose weight" and that about sums up the whole situation. I knew it was s recipe for disaster for me but I let my greed get the better of me. There's no short cuts, I can't eat crap every other day and lose weight, I need to eat healthy and not snack. I KNOW all this, that's what annoys me and I reckon rod knew I was heading for a fall on this diet which is why he asked bonnie and Sparty to keep their eye on me. Hmm. A heads up would a been nice hahaha.

Back