Tough love - off topic and chit-chat

Its true. My kettlebell inspiration lady weighs 9.5 stone, with a BMI of just under 25. Her nurse was nagging her to lose weight as she is at the upper end of her BMI scale. This is despite her being a size 6 in clothes as she is so toned because of her daily weights regime. Its no wonder folk have weight issues with daft "advice" like that from a nurse who was only looking at her chart and not the person!

Its true. My kettlebell inspiration lady weighs 9.5 stone, with a BMI of just under 25. Her nurse was nagging her to lose weight as she is at the upper end of her BMI scale. This is despite her being a size 6 in clothes as she is so toned because of her daily weights regime. Its no wonder folk have weight issues with daft "advice" like that from a nurse who was only looking at her chart and not the person!

I'm going to be a bit controversial... I personally think that BMI is a load of rubbish.

I believe it was actually devised to analyse groups of people, not just individuals and it just doesn't make sense. Some people are clearly healthy i.e. atheletes and professional sports men and women but might be considered Overweight because of their muscle mass. It's silly.

I'm the opposite- I am 3lbs off being a 'Healthy' BMI. Load of crap. I have PCOS so 90% of my weight in on my stomach. I can see it there and I know that much fat is not healthy. BUT, my Doctor believes in it and if/when I try to have kids, if I have any problems I know they'll be much more willing to help if I am a 'Healthy BMI' (In case I have PCOS related difficulties). But I probably know that a good 20lbs will have to be lost before I am 'healthy'.

Just my 2p on the matter. I personally think the best way to measure is your body fat%. I'll be asking Santa for some snazzy scales this Christmas so I can start keeping an eye on that. I want to lose the weight first, then getting the Body Fat % right will be the next aim :)

I'm going to be a bit controversial... I personally think that BMI is a load of rubbish.
Not even remotely controversial - most dieticians and obesity experts think it's rubbish too. The thing is, it's easy to calculate, which is why it persists. The best measure of all is called the Body Volume Index (BVI) but that requires a full 3D body scanner to work.

We once got a letter from the school telling us that the nurse had weighed our daughter and she was overweight. This is despite the fact that she was a national level competitive gymnast at the time! Because it was solid muscle, she was very heavy for her height. My son, who is a karate black belt is the same - even though he's quite short for a 15yo, he weighs a ton. He can also punch through a pile of eight roof tiles!!!

I'll post something on the BAI, which is a better measure of body fat, and can be measured at home.

ooooh dear! I just TL'd someone in another forum eeekkk!!! I couldn't help myself!

I went and had a cheeky look and I thought what you said was very appropriate. We have some living examples among the Bassers of how to party and stick to plan!

I didn't get told off but to be honest I held back a bit. What wound me up was someone else posting that you just decide what's more important - bday or skinny. And then said she preferred bday!! Red rag to a basser!!! Hope she listens lol.

Ok my hotel is in Bournemouth and its called Langtry manor

http://www.langtrymanor.co.uk/

We have already paid and the deal was for room and meals so we will be eating here every day - since we have already coughed up the dough lol. Looks lovely and relaxing but I will swim as much as I can and taking my running shoes.

My bf likes to sleep in and nap so I can go walking/running while he grabs 40 winks most afternoons

sparty said:

We have already paid and the deal was for room and meals so we will be eating here every day - since we have already coughed up the dough lol. Looks lovely and relaxing but I will swim as much as I can and taking my running shoes.

My bf likes to sleep in and nap so I can go walking/running while he grabs 40 winks most afternoons

I'd tend to go for prawns or mackerel for starter and then fish or salad for main, try to scrape off as much sauce as possible or ask for sauce seperate, ask for veg in place of potatoes and maybe allow yourself 2 meals that week that are a bit indulgent. It's only the ordering part once you've ordered you'll be over it. It's just that internal battle in your head while looking at the menu. Fish and salad are always your best bets. Avoid pudding and drink water through the meal to eliminate unnecessary cals on booze and fill you up a bit.

Yep. :) makes me mad how stupid some people can be on a diet. I have unsubscribed to most of the other forums I belonged to as all I hear when I read the posts is 'excuse excuse excuse!'

sparty said:

Ps looks bloody amazing

conlou1 said:
I'd tend to go for prawns or mackerel for starter and then fish or salad for main, try to scrape off as much sauce as possible or ask for sauce seperate, ask for veg in place of potatoes and maybe allow yourself 2 meals that week that are a bit indulgent. It's only the ordering part once you've ordered you'll be over it. It's just that internal battle in your head while looking at the menu. Fish and salad are always your best bets. Avoid pudding and drink water through the meal to eliminate unnecessary cals on booze and fill you up a bit.

Good plan! I need to mentally get ready so then the time comes I don't see what else is on the menu - like last night. In fact they got my order wrong last night and brought me chips instead of potatos and i sent it straight back!!

Fresh caught fish of the day sounds yummy and it's a buffet breakfast with full English and fresh fruit so I can make that totally syn free!

sparty said:
Good plan! I need to mentally get ready so then the time comes I don't see what else is on the menu - like last night. In fact they got my order wrong last night and brought me chips instead of potatos and i sent it straight back!!

Fresh caught fish of the day sounds yummy and it's a buffet breakfast with full English and fresh fruit so I can make that totally syn free!

That sound lovely. Can I come? Lol. You'll be fine hun, just have one plate full don't pile buffet food up and don't go
Back
For seconds. Bet you come back
With a loss. What thread is it? I want to
Look lol

sparty said:
Coping strategies? Started by loolahoop :)

Can't copy the link as I'm not at my desk lol

Found it. Thought what you said was fair enough. Tbh what most ppl want when posting how doni cope with one celebration or another is for everyone to tell them it's ok to binge it's just one day. And of course as an adult you can do
What you want but don't moan come weigh in that you've gained. Simples. Lol

Random this but here we go

My mate Carl is a bass fishing demon and one of my favourite chums to go fishing with - quite often I arrive in his town and roll up to his shop to meet him just as he's closing up

He owns a fish and chip shop

I used to arrive at around 1pm, eat a huuuugge cod and chips (for free!) and a can of coke with the trimmings - curry sauce/bread rolls etc

I still arrive at 1pm, I now have a huuuuge STEAMED cod and no chips, baked potato and salad and a litre of water

you can still go into a chip shop and enjoy yourselves - I do!

heres the proof and what my mate eats opposite me

I wouldn't eat the spud now btw

SDB2012pt3004.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. :) makes me mad how stupid some people can be on a diet. I have unsubscribed to most of the other forums I belonged to as all I hear when I read the posts is 'excuse excuse excuse!'[/QUOT
How do you unsubscribe sparty? I know exactly what you mean and it winds me up no end. One poster even has a slogan in their signature saying "pizza and wine will always be my downfall" or something like that. Outrageous! How can constantly reaffirming something so negative be remotely helpful? Talk about setting yourself up for failure. Grr

Random this but here we go

My mate Carl is a bass fishing demon and one of my favourite chums to go fishing with - quite often I arrive in his town and roll up to his shop to meet him just as he's closing up

He owns a fish and chip shop

I used to arrive at around 1pm, eat a huuuugge cod and chips (for free!) and a can of coke with the trimmings - curry sauce/bread rolls etc

I still arrive at 1pm, I now have a huuuuge STEAMED cod and no chips, baked potato and salad and a litre of water

you can still go into a chip shop and enjoy yourselves - I do!

heres the proof and what my mate eats opposite me

I wouldn't eat the spud now btw

SDB2012pt3004.jpg

Looks good Rod, makes me feel healthy just looking at it!

Back