Tough love - off topic and chit-chat

I wonder what they would think of me running a SW or WW group?

:eek:

You would be a brilliant SW Consultant and I'm sure they would let you . . . (ever the optimist me!) . . . although I'm not sure how many hi-fi bars you would sell!!

tbh, advertising is so powerful, you are probably right

but no.1 rule is you have to want to do it

and then the fun starts.

these long distance journeys are HARD WORK Lou - and how many will really really try?

but education must be the answer!

its a big football to kick about huh?

You would be a brilliant SW Consultant and I'm sure they would let you . . . (ever the optimist me!) . . . although I'm not sure how many hi-fi bars you would sell!!

I wouldn't believe in the product though!! and then I'd get some tubby area manager hosing me down!! (well they could try anyway!!)

I'd give it 3 weeks and I'd pare the class down to about three people that would have stunning success - the rest would be under the stairs crying....

Rod the Bass said:
tbh, advertising is so powerful, you are probably right

but no.1 rule is you have to want to do it

and then the fun starts.

these long distance journeys are HARD WORK Lou - and how many will really really try?

but education must be the answer!

its a big football to kick about huh?

Definitely. I'd love to set up some sort of youth initiative in my area, there's literally nothing to do where I live for kids, and it's sad. Kids don't play out anymore they're too interested in ps3s and DVDs and mobiles, mine included, I'm always nagging him to go out but ALL his mates stay in, the only kids who go to the park are quite frankly the ones I don't want him to associate with, so we're at a stale mate. He doesn't want to do anything with me but he's seriously unfit, the local pool costs a bomb for all of us to go regular and I'm stuck as to what else to do that's free. I'd love to start a healthy eating and exercise programme for kids and teens but make it fun, teach them how to cook, teach them fun ways to exercise, kids are competitive it would be nice to hone into that but tbh I do t know where to start but I know I could do it. Ideas on a post card lol

Definitely. I'd love to set up some sort of youth initiative in my area, there's literally nothing to do where I live for kids, and it's sad. Kids don't play out anymore they're too interested in ps3s and DVDs and mobiles, mine included, I'm always nagging him to go out but ALL his mates stay in, the only kids who go to the park are quite frankly the ones I don't want him to associate with, so we're at a stale mate. He doesn't want to do anything with me but he's seriously unfit, the local pool costs a bomb for all of us to go regular and I'm stuck as to what else to do that's free. I'd love to start a healthy eating and exercise programme for kids and teens but make it fun, teach them how to cook, teach them fun ways to exercise, kids are competitive it would be nice to hone into that but tbh I do t know where to start but I know I could do it. Ideas on a post card lol

I had the same thought this week. I drove to see my parents who still live in the house I grew up in. Not a kid in sight. In the 70's we'd be GONE after breakfast, out all day and as much of the night as we could get away with. sounding like a right old fart now, but it's true!

My girls are both members of a local swimming club, its not cheap at £30 per month each but they do get to swim up to FIVE times a week each. So per session, its good value.

The eldest is the keenest and goes four times, five if we let her, the little one bags three a week - they are both super fit for 8 and 10 years old and I struggle to keep up with my ten year old tbh

they also do ballet and the discipline, poise and maturity they have gained from both hobbies is quite astonishing

there is really no substitute for keeping kids active, one major reason I hit the plan is that why should they have to go through it and have a wheezing slob of a dad telling them what to do but not doing anything himself?

they are now PROUD of me and thats enough in itself to keep me on the straight and narrow

If I can conjure up any ideas or answers for you to get your thing moving, I'll let you know

my daughter 5 yrs old is into everything at the moment she loves swimming running skipping hula hooping and esp likes telling me off wen i dont do my exercises right!! she eats alot ov fruit and healthy foods but i do hav to keep an eye on the amount ov choc she can eat!! she keeps me on the straight and narrow and tells me off for not exercising or eating healthy haha

What about Judo Lou? It's not very expensive (my OH pays £4 a week) and it really teaches them discipline and drive and respect (not suggesting your son is lacking any of these!). Did you see the Bad Boy Olympian? My OH filmed it, a BBC 3 documentary about Ashlee McKenzie, who was basically a layabout oik who was totally transformed by Judo into a massive olympian. In fact I am thinking of taking up Judo myself soon, about time I did a competative sport.

Rugby (union) clubs are usually free for the weekly session - you pay an annual membership fee that covers your insurance. It will be Sunday from 10-12. I sell it to the kids as "when else can you get covered in mud, battered and bruised and get to shove other kids over......and have your mum cheering you on for doing it!"

Go here (hope this doesn't break the links policy): http://rfu.com/takingpart/clubfinder

BonnieBooBear said:
What about Judo Lou? It's not very expensive (my OH pays £4 a week) and it really teaches them discipline and drive and respect (not suggesting your son is lacking any of these!). Did you see the Bad Boy Olympian? My OH filmed it, a BBC 3 documentary about Ashlee McKenzie, who was basically a layabout oik who was totally transformed by Judo into a massive olympian. In fact I am thinking of taking up Judo myself soon, about time I did a competative sport.

He goes to ju jitzu once a week and he's into
Singing so goes to a singing group once a week
Also I just wish he could play out off the cuff all
Day like we used to, climbing trees, bike rides to
The next town etc but kids just don't do
Anything like that now. It all
Costs money for clubs

I think the P.E curriculum needs to be revised too. Its absolutely where I developed my hatred of exercise. This year has really been about undoing years of me thinking that I was just a sedentary person who would never be good at sport.

I really think that there should be a greater focus on developing enthusiasm for sport rather than just encouraging the good kids. However, I did also suffer because my secondary school was a sports college too! One of my P.E teachers was an Olympic Weightlifter!!!

Sent from my LG-LU3700 using MiniMins

more good news at the Olympics with the gymnasts and equestrians bagging medals

One thing I am taking huge encouragement from is the amount that Team GB is "there or thereabouts" - not good enough some may say, but we have been in loads of finals and we are contesting most things we enter very well.

sport is still not a high enough priority in this country (as opposed to say USA or Australia) but I see shoots of greatness popping up everywhere

lets hope Mr Wigigns can do the do and bag us a much needed Gold in the cycling

high hopes for the mens breast stroke later

I am off to see Team GB in cardiff later today for mens football Team GB vs Uruguay

come on Team GB!

I am unbelievably proud of team GB. I think it's clear to see that they are giving their all and more importantly that they are loving performing in front of the home crowd.

As an Australian who has lived in the UK for over 14 years, I am so pleased with the way the British are finally embracing the Olympics and different sports. Australians live and breath nearly all sports and the Olympics are a huge priority. Having said that, obesity rates are rising in Australia too, with children spending more time indoors and on computers.

I was also thrilled with the GB women's football team last night and the positive coverage they have been receiving. Women's sports do not get enough coverage in this country (or any country). In Australia netball is a huge sport and does get some tv coverage. In the 1990s mixed netball teams started as a bit of fun, but the men liked it and all-male leagues started too. Indoor cricket was popular in the 80s (mixed leagues there too) where they played inside nets. By the 90s this was less popular so indoor cricket centres introduced netball where there was no boundary lines, just the nets. I played in a mixed league and it was fast and furious playing against men and off the nets. As a kid we played all sorts of sports at school and out of school too. I was not sporty but played basketball, netball and squash in leagues out of school. School sports days were huge - no egg and spoon races! They were at the beginning of the year Swimming and Diving day in term 1; Athletics in term 2; and the winners would progress to the regionals, then zone, then state finals. The same would happen with the team sports - cricket, football, basketball, netball, tennis, golf, squash, table tennis, badminton, gymnastics, cross country . . . In primary school in years 5 & 6 we played other schools at team sport every Friday afternoon - volleyball, netball, cricket, football, bat tennis, rounders . . . and we would have a special sports day against other schools once a year for year 4 where boys competed in tunnel ball and girls in cross ball (passing a netball down the line then running to the other end like tunnel ball). These were great for developing ball skills and team spirit.

Someone posted the other day (Hannah I think) about the poor PE curriculum and being turned off exercising. There was a recent study/report on this in the UK, and hopefully something will be done (although I doubt it!). Although I didn't LOVE PE when I was in school, I think I had a better experience than I would have in the UK. In year 7 we did PE mixed with the boys, but in year 8 & 9 it was single sex. Year 10 was the best - we had to do PE for 1 semester and could choose from a long list of options - gymnastics, dance, racquet sports, golf, swimming, football (soccer, Aussie rules, rugby). I chose racquet sports and we walked to the local squash courts for our double lesson and then spent the two single lessons on tennis, badminton or table tennis (depending on the weather). I only chose this option because I could play squash, but I was amazed at how my coordination improved and I became a competent player in the other racquet sports.

Here's hoping the Olympics really do inspire a generation (or two!) and leave a positive and lasting legacy of GB :)

I loved gymnastics, but was rubbish at things like hockey and sprinting, it would be better to do the first 2 years in school trying each different sport then let kids choose what they enjoy a d want to
Do, I would have LOVED to have done gymnastics twice a week, I have a similar thing to
My daughter and am very flexible, well was, not so
Much anymore lol, and it would have been nice to participate in something that played to
My strengths rather than forced to do something that made me feel weak and useless.

I've done 2x 20mins on my stepper morning and night this week

and each morning me and the OH do our pressups - (proper good ones)

I started this week at 9, now on 11 and Em has gone from half (! LOL!) to 2!

little steps add up, give it a try - pressups are a very good barometer of strength and fitness, the good thing is the more you lose and the stronger you get, the more you can do

and you can do them anywhere!

A prize to the person that does them in the queue at the post office/Tesco/bus stop etc.....

I do squats at the photocopier at work!

slimmersally said:
I do squats at the photocopier at work!

Hehehehe. Loving this mental image! I am constantly walking back and forth to the loo at work due to my drinking too much water. They all think I'm mad!

Hehehehe. Loving this mental image! I am constantly walking back and forth to the loo at work due to my drinking too much water. They all think I'm mad!

well it's better you go there than on the photocopier Sparty! they would section you for that!

I now can't get the revolting concept of MILILF out of my head! :sick:

Back