Type 2 Diabetes - anyone 'nearly' diagnosed?

Thank you Claire, for your thoughts and your kindness. It is much appreciated. You are right, I need to capture some 'me' time, that's where I think the swimming could come in. I have decided that I will commit to going every Wednesday to start with. There is an adults only session at a local pool between 12.30 and 2.30 and I think that will fit perfectly. I also need to get better at saying what i want. last night I could tell DH was about to say lets watch some tv and I just upped and said ' I'm going down the seafront for a walk'. He was surprised but decided to come too, which was fine and we had a lovely walk, the air was fresh, not a breath of wind and there were really dramatic clouds across to the horizon. I could feel it doing me good. So that is definitely what i need to do more of.

You'll see from my ticker that I have lost 2lbs this week, so only 4 away from the first stone. I am really pleased with that but in view of what you said about stress, I am going to try and really calm down about the whole weight loss/diabetes/panic situation. I will do my absolute best, I can't do more than that. So that will be good enough for me. I have to drop down the pressure on myself.

Lots of love to you Claire, you are helping me so much, I am so, so grateful to you. Huge hugs.

Hi, I lost this thread for a while but wanted to say I am sure you will be in good control as you are keeping an eye on things. your diet is a lot better than mine. i still eat high sugar fruits, crisps and chocolate (in moderation) and my blood levels have stayed the same for over a year without meds. Im only 1 stone lighter than i was a year ago but hopefully it will reverse with thrown in weight loss. i know everyone is different but i hope that helps you to see that you are at least doing everything correct and are fully in control xxx

Thanks Hanna, I do feel better in myself, I have to make more time for me and i am going to.

Karen, thank you for what you said, it is encouraging to know that even a stone can make a difference. I am just totally determined about getting this weight off once and for all. It was bad enough when I thought it was just effecting my life in general but now I know my health is compromised too, that's it, it has to go!

WOW, a walk by the seafront, i can only wish (i live in the city) .... i think you need to do that more and loose yourself in that sea air .... thats amazing that you have almost lost a stone, your body will thank you so much for that, along with your pancreas :flirt2: .. and yes, swimming is a FAB idea, itll take all that stress away and have a bonus of making your heart even stronger .... your doing amazing Barb ....... Like Karen says, your in control & i can clearly see that your controlling it so well ..... Im glad that i can help .. im hoping that even talking about your stress, takes some away ... You have made my day :cool: Big hugs xxx

Hi Claire, yes talking about it does help, a lot. I know there are things I can do to improve my stress levels. We are definitely going for a seafront walk tonight - I wish I could magic you here to go with us! We are so lucky to live so close to the sea, I have always been glad of that. I just think because it is so close we are lazy about going, so we need to improve on that.
Half term this week so the local pool is full of children and the adult session is on Monday not on wednesday as I thought, so swimming will start next week, which is fine.

Still feeling strong and determined and with your help, I am going to get there I am sure.

Hello :)

Ive had 3 Diabetes tests and all proved negative- I have a lot of Hypo like episodes, collapsing etc.
Im always tired regardless of what I do and im always thirsty!!!!!
Ive been told that I could be borderline and im shifting the weight too to improve my health :)

Hope that everyone is ok!

Ruth
x

That's interesting Ruth, you have the symptoms but not the diagnosis. Getting on and losing weight must be a good idea though, against the day when maybe the diagnosis does come.

Looks like you are doing well, quarter of a stone gone already!

10lbs is a great loss!!!

Ive got a few other health complaints and my Dr basically said lose weight or it will get much much worse so im determined as anything! Have a few wobbly days when im not feeling my best sometimes but I can always get over these and im sure we can all minimise our symptoms and get better :)

Ruth
x

You are so right Ruth, we can only improve with weight loss, being heavier is never really a good thing i guess.

Well done on your 2lb weight loss this week, going in the right direction, aren't we?

How are all you guys keeping? Hope everything is positive!!

I fell asleep in my computer chair...... I feel a bit funny today so I think I'm having a bit of a relapse. It happens from time to time when my diet goes up the left... Can't wait to get back to normal eating again :(

The difference I've seen is scary, like how much my body and wellbeing DEPENDS on having a good diet, and just how utterly bollocks and tired I am without it. I'm back to normality after tonight so hopefully everything will be alll good :)

Food/diet wise I am ok but am in an awful lot of pain today, it is really getting me down. Trouble is I have had to take lots of tablets and they mean I have to eat. Vicious circle really. Not that I have gone mad or anything, just a job to feel up beat when in this much pain.

Food/diet wise I am ok but am in an awful lot of pain today, it is really getting me down. Trouble is I have had to take lots of tablets and they mean I have to eat. Vicious circle really. Not that I have gone mad or anything, just a job to feel up beat when in this much pain.

What causes your pain? xx

(if you don't mind talking about it that is!)

Barb don`t panic, i have been type 2 diabetic since 2006, i had my annual diabetic clinic this week. when i first went my fasting bloods were 13.5 in 2006, now after almost a 10 stone weight loss i am now down to 7.2, my diabetic nurse is so pleased with me because gradually the glucose is coming down.
In august they want me to go for more blood tests and if all is ok then they will be reducing my meds (metformin).
So try and stick with the diet and you will probably see yours improve.
Hope all go`s well for you. :0)

Diabetes runs in my family and today I was out shopping for gifts. I found some diabetic friendly chocolate in thorntons and was amazed how good it was. Slightly off topic, but hey-ho! :)

My dad was diagnosed about two years ago, and it's amazing how much his lifestyle has changed. Personally, I think if you're at risk or have just been diagnosed it's best to educate yourself on the actual condition. So, he learned all about what foods are good and what are bad. He cut out fatty and sugary foods but allowed himself to have the odd treat now and again, also he started using certain recipes which are said to improve the condition. He lost about two stone without even dieting, and he basically burns off whatever he eats. Educating yourself on the condition is the best way to prevent it. :)

Hi everyone and thank you for the info and encouragement, much appreciated.

My pain is caused by the long term high does steroids I took for many years for my lungs. I was warned at the time that although the drugs would save my life at the time I would get problems later in life. Sure enough i have joint pains everywhere, especially my hands and wrists, my back, my neck and shoulders.

I am taking painkillers but they no longer seem to help, so the weight loss combined with the swimming (joined the David Lloyd club yesterday and plan to swim at least every other day)is my only real hope.

Bevsy, I think you are so right, losing weight is key and you are living proof of that, wow you have done so well. That inspires me to think I can do it too.

UKD - yes, education is so important and I have spent quite a bit of time on Diabetes Uk website looking at diet plans and do's and don'ts. There certainly is plenty of information out there.

My next fasting blood test is on Wednesday and I am really hoping that 7.6 will have dropped a good deal.

Hi Claire, yes talking about it does help, a lot. I know there are things I can do to improve my stress levels. We are definitely going for a seafront walk tonight - I wish I could magic you here to go with us! We are so lucky to live so close to the sea, I have always been glad of that. I just think because it is so close we are lazy about going, so we need to improve on that.
Half term this week so the local pool is full of children and the adult session is on Monday not on wednesday as I thought, so swimming will start next week, which is fine.

Still feeling strong and determined and with your help, I am going to get there I am sure.

Hey apologies for not bein on for a while, works kept me way too busy :( .... Im sooooo glad your feelin positive ... yeah i couldnt swim with all the kids around .. the best part is your determination ... again if i can help in anyway ... you know where i am :flirt2: enjoy the sun today ... that cheers everyone up eh xxx

Hi everyone and thank you for the info and encouragement, much appreciated.

My pain is caused by the long term high does steroids I took for many years for my lungs. I was warned at the time that although the drugs would save my life at the time I would get problems later in life. Sure enough i have joint pains everywhere, especially my hands and wrists, my back, my neck and shoulders.

I am taking painkillers but they no longer seem to help, so the weight loss combined with the swimming (joined the David Lloyd club yesterday and plan to swim at least every other day)is my only real hope.

Bevsy, I think you are so right, losing weight is key and you are living proof of that, wow you have done so well. That inspires me to think I can do it too.

UKD - yes, education is so important and I have spent quite a bit of time on Diabetes Uk website looking at diet plans and do's and don'ts. There certainly is plenty of information out there.

My next fasting blood test is on Wednesday and I am really hoping that 7.6 will have dropped a good deal.

awww flips sake thats awful... I'm very sorry to hear you are having such difficulty :( *lots of hugs*

Maybe its worth speaking to your doc and seeing if there's something different you can try, drug wise, to help in the meantime.

I think I'm having to accept that I need to work on my weight loss to sort out my arthritis.. hopefully then if I'm still in pain I will have genuine concerns and my docs might take me a bit more seriously... Just takes time. It's not a case of stop eating and you'll be immediately skinny

I will be seeing the doc again very soon but meantime I am just back form my swim and i feel so much better. Managed to do 10 lengths, slowly but surely and then had a lovely jacuzzi. I feel a lot better for it both physically and mentally, I know I am helping myself and that is a good feeling.

Only slight snag, came back from the pool absolutely starving and had a cup of tea and a rich tea biscuit. I don't think that's too terrible, it's not like I ate the packet, but still is that OK? I am really cutting out the sugar and processed stuff but I figure you can't get much plainer than a solitary rich tea. What do you think Claire? I want you to keep an eye on me if you truly don't mind, hence the confession re the biscuit.

I'm sure you can eat a biscuit... my diabetic colleague was able to eat shortbread biscuits if she dusted off the extra sugar! I would say just be careful but don't exclude every single thing that has sugar out of your diet, as you do still need some!

The internet seems to suggest in and around 6g of sugars in 1 biscuit. A bit over what a Insulin dep diabetic should be eating but will do you no serious harm as an ocassional treat.

Back