Unthoughtful people!

Starlight said:
Slightly off topic here but a question for the carers/support workers Do you have any 'powers' when you're caring. We have a woman who calls 999 up to 20 times a day on a bad day. Her carers won't stop her. They also refuse to speak to us when we call back. She phones to say she 2 streets away from home in her nightie and the carers confirm yes she left the house.(assuming we can find a contact number for them and phone them) She also swallows batteries and glass. If she ends up in hospital they refuse to attend and sit with her and instead sit in an empty house When my officers query things with the carers they're told 'it's not their job' to stop her

That's a tricky one-it all depends on the service user and their history/background! Alot of our 'problem' clients have the careline buzzers, and will frequently ring them 20-30 times a day about anything and everything! If a client is deemed of 'sound mind' then there is very little you can do-only advise, and manage-ie remove potential hazards etc! Surely his particular one would need to be referred to some kind of crisis intervention team if it's that bad :(

Starlight said:
Slightly off topic here but a question for the carers/support workers Do you have any 'powers' when you're caring. We have a woman who calls 999 up to 20 times a day on a bad day. Her carers won't stop her. They also refuse to speak to us when we call back. She phones to say she 2 streets away from home in her nightie and the carers confirm yes she left the house.(assuming we can find a contact number for them and phone them) She also swallows batteries and glass. If she ends up in hospital they refuse to attend and sit with her and instead sit in an empty house When my officers query things with the carers they're told 'it's not their job' to stop her

It's absolutely there job to stop her as long as they believe she is putting her life in danger and I would class swallowing glass and batteries as endangering their life! We also have to attend hospital with any person in our care.

As to her running out of the house my company has a lady who does the same - your supposed to follow and make sure they come to no harm then when they are ready to go home you take them - however if she ran in the road its not the carers responsibility to endanger their own life by running in the road after them.

For example we have a man who is severely autistic, he goes out the garden bare foot with no coat and won't come in until he is ready. However as a carer its our responsibility to make sure he is ok so you follow him put his slippers, coat and hat on him and leave him be therefore we are safeguarding him against illness and injury to his feet.

It's all about safeguarding the client - you should find out who the company is and complain to them as they may not know what is going on.

X x x

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins x x x

Welshtigger said:
That's a tricky one-it all depends on the service user and their history/background! Alot of our 'problem' clients have the careline buzzers, and will frequently ring them 20-30 times a day about anything and everything! If a client is deemed of 'sound mind' then there is very little you can do-only advise, and manage-ie remove potential hazards etc! Surely his particular one would need to be referred to some kind of crisis intervention team if it's that bad :(

It's just maddening that the 'carers' sit in the same room as her and watch her constantly calling 999

MissSlinky2011 said:
It's absolutely there job to stop her as long as they believe she is putting her life in danger and I would class swallowing glass and batteries as endangering their life! We also have to attend hospital with any person in our care.

As to her running out of the house my company has a lady who does the same - your supposed to follow and make sure they come to no harm then when they are ready to go home you take them - however if she ran in the road its not the carers responsibility to endanger their own life by running in the road after them.

For example we have a man who is severely autistic, he goes out the garden bare foot with no coat and won't come in until he is ready. However as a carer its our responsibility to make sure he is ok so you follow him put his slippers, coat and hat on him and leave him be therefore we are safeguarding him against illness and injury to his feet.

It's all about safeguarding the client - you should find out who the company is and complain to them as they may not know what is going on.

X x x

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins x x x

She phones and says she's got a noose round her neck and they'll say yeah she's in the garden with a scarf or something tied to the gate!!!!

Starlight said:
It's just maddening that the 'carers' sit in the same room as her and watch her constantly calling 999

I agree with what missslinky said tho, I think the company should be reported as they have a duty of care and all that jazz! x

Starlight said:
She phones and says she's got a noose round her neck and they'll say yeah she's in the garden with a scarf or something tied to the gate!!!!

Surely would this not be classed as some form Of abuse under POVA! Have social services been informed?

Thing is the care managers should be looking at the Risk Assessments in place, which are the responsibility of the carers! The woman phoning all the time is endangering the public by making nuisance calls. Therefore her support plan ought to include strategies to combat this.
I work with a man with severe learning disability, he has no cognitive ability and would run under a truck if he is elated and liked the look of someone on the other side of the road!
So his support plan clearly states that if he will not hold staffs hand, then he either does not go out in community until his mood calms or he uses his wheelchair.

Tonight I did a risk assessment on his hob, the back two plates don't work so we now use the front two, this has resulted in burned fingers (NOT on MY shift!), so I have stated he needs to be kept out of the kitchen until the hob is cool to touch. This now covers me if on an inspection I've locked him out of his kitchen.

I have also supported another guy during a hospital stay.
He was severely autistic and had Pica so his RA stated his kitchen must be locked at all times, also he is not permitted to leave the house unaccompanied, so all doors are locked.

Thanks for your comments guys. It's something were working on at work in getting her assessed properly. The thing is it's kinda like the boy who cried wolf. We see a call come in for her and it's like 'oh FFS it's M again'. If I have 5 cars out and 20 calls to be assigned quite honestly she's not even on my radar as getting the police anytime soon. One day she really will need us......,

Cai said:
Oh no....man trouble?? What's happened?x

Yep as per usual I just don't get why they give out totally mixed signals including calling u on your way home after u left them 10mins ago (promising to call the next day) not taking the get out clause of not even taking your number to then not call or text! Makes me mad and I've got be honest a little upset!! :( x

Welshtigger said:
I guess you never heard from him :( his loss xxx

No he didn't :( thanks hun i know it is but he was so lovely and it just doesn't add up at all. I hate dating!!! :( x

jo-85 said:
Yep as per usual I just don't get why they give out totally mixed signals including calling u on your way home after u left them 10mins ago (promising to call the next day) not taking the get out clause of not even taking your number to then not call or text! Makes me mad and I've got be honest a little upset!! :( x

No he didn't :( thanks hun i know it is but he was so lovely and it just doesn't add up at all. I hate dating!!! :( x

So do I! Thats why I gave up a few months ago! And then one night, about a fortnight ago I was bored and decided to Create a random new profile on plenty of fish! And met Matt-4 dates done so far and all great :) xx I hope xx

Welshtigger said:
So do I! Thats why I gave up a few months ago! And then one night, about a fortnight ago I was bored and decided to Create a random new profile on plenty of fish! And met Matt-4 dates done so far and all great :) xx I hope xx

Awwww that's great hun. I'm sure it will continue as well :)

It's all just so complicated. And u know the worst bit we had a lovely slow dance to my favourite Xmas song I fear he may have ruined it for me for life now lol!! X

dear mum and dad

as of new year I am getting you mum back on track with plan and dad ,your joining us :)

I don't want your weight to make you Ill

you'll thank me later
your daughter
xx

dear house
why are you so cold ????

Awwww that's great hun. I'm sure it will continue as well :)

It's all just so complicated. And u know the worst bit we had a lovely slow dance to my favourite Xmas song I fear he may have ruined it for me for life now lol!! X

Is it wrong that i'm totally imagining you doing a slowy to Wizzard? :cool:

Btw- his loss- not yours- he's obviously a dweeb

I found an easy way to not have to put up with dating- i'm asexual- that puts people RIGHT off, haha

jo-85 said:

Awww I'm sorry to hear that!! Men have no idea about womens feelings or how we look into things! He may still call/text as I'm sure he won't think he's run out of time yet...he may have just been busy...this of course may still not happen (I don't want to give u false hope and upset u) but u never know!

I know u may have heard this before, but sometimes love finds u when yr not looking for it!!

My hubby and 1 have been together 4.5 years (married nearly 2) and we literally just fell into each other!! It took me 4 months of us being 'just friends' before I realised he was making an 'effort' by then I felt like I owed him at least 1 date! Lol.

Things will get better for u! New year coming up and make yrself some new years resolutions that are just for u!! Like treating yrself to a pamper session and buying something new! :)

Dear alarm clock,
Why do you always but in when yr not wanted!!
You and I are going to fall out soon!!
A sleepy Cai!

What they said ;) x

Me four!

I got into work for 8am, and by 8.15 the day had already deteriorated into carnage and hassle. Roll on 4.30pm when I can hopefully leave again!

But, then, that means tonight's weigh in and after Friday night's works bash, it's not going to be good!

Back