Vlcd on channel 5 news

DappyMare

Girl on a mission
Was Just watching the news on channel 5 and story came up about a guy who lost 11 stone in 6 months. Didn't recognise the packaging of the products but what started off as positive way to lose weight was destroyed by them interviewing a dietcian, who was like the only healthy way to lose weight is by diet and exercise, and wouldn't advise anyone to follow such restrictive diet:mad: why do they always have to have a negative on articles in the news about vlcd...sorry rant over lol:p

wow, he did well! 11 stone!
I completely agree with you, it does always seem to be negative, which is a shame because i bet that man's health has greatly improved. for some people its the only way, whilst other people get on great with other diets, every one is different, i can't exercise at the moment due to a very bad back,and believe me i wish i could! i can't wait till its better and i can :)

it was lipotrim :)

I HATE when they make out that we're "not eating" on vlcds. Ok, so the majority of us aren't eating many solids or follwing a "conventional" diet, but do they really think our bodies are being unhealthily denied? Surely our bodies would be at more risk if we just keep on piling on the weight??

Grrrr sorry everyone but I get so defensive! People are just wary of what they don't understand, I suppose xx

Truth: VLCD's are scientifically researched and are proven to provide rapid weight loss

Truth: VLCD's are safe if followed correctly with appropriate supervision (Peer reviewed, research/evidence based)

Truth: VLCD's are mentally tough.

Pareto's 80:20 rule..... weight loss is 80% of what goes on in your head and 20% of the diet you choose to achieve your goal.

Truth: Dieticians are, generally, not sufficiently informed to make such comments. If they'd read the research before agreeing to up their public profile they would have said something different!!! :p:kissass:

(Ali steps off soap box and slinks off to the corner!:eek:)

Oh please.
I eat better on SS+ than I did normally considering I get ALL the nutrients which I normally wouldn't because I basically ate crap before.
So not only does the VLCD give you a weightloss, it also keeps your body happy by giving it all the needed nutrients.
It's really disturbing that dieticians do not have the correct information.

And yes, their refuse against vlcd's might be based on the fact that alot of people fall back to their old eating habits after diet, but the diet itself is healthier than what most people eat everyday.

ireelivant if you keep it off how you do it

as long as you follow the steps up on this its fine unless u have other medical issues

makes me laugh how the emphasise on how the weight loss was achieved rather than the fact that at 11 stone over weight, he was heading for an early grave anyway!

Can they not just be pleased that there are people out there willing to pay out their own money to lose the weight rather than adding to the nhs's list of gastric band operations?

Ohhhhh, it makes me really mad!!!!

If we could all cope with just "healthy eating and exercise" then we wouldnt have got to obese!

xxx

I agree, a lot of dieticians are stuck on old research and are either unwilling to accept new ways or are just too lazy to read the new research.
I started CD yesterday and one of the big things that will change for me is:
The fact that I will actually be getting all of my vits and mins which I problably havent had for about 10 years.
I am going to be eating 4 times a day, I used to eat twice a day or LOADS of times a day.
I am going to be drinking a healthy amount of water with coffe that has no milk or sugar, rather than Dr Pepper or coke everyday.
I also have access to support and reassurances from my CDC or you lovely people, which I wouldnt have if I tried to just go it alone.
And lastly, because of a shoulder/neck injury exercise is painful for me at the moment, so I can actually do something about shifting my belly ;-)

In addition to everyone's comments I also think we are being re-educated in eating healthily when we have reached goal. I am far more aware of what I should or shouldn't eat. I may have the occasional blip when I am eventually maintaining but I think I will then do my best to be careful for a few days afterwards. I won't be starving myself, just making sensible choices. Without this diet I wouldn't have that knowledge and be carrying on with bad eating habits.

Truth: Dieticians are, generally, not sufficiently informed to make such comments. If they'd read the research before agreeing to up their public profile they would have said something different!!! :p:kissass:

IMHO dieticians know that a healthy, balanced diet and exercise are the key to maintaining a healthy weight and body. Which is 100% true and we all know it. It's also the official line. So when they come to telling people how to diet they're not going to go off message...

OMG- I am a food addict. Far worse then being an alcoholic or a drug addict because i will have to face food 3 times a day when i finish CD. We DONT get rehab on the NHS or funded by charity we have to do it by our own pocket/wallet. AAARRRGGGHHH DO these dietitions ect not realise that the beauty of CD is that we are slowly reintroduced to food and in doing so taught to respect it. Something that most of us will need to continue our lives without slipping back to our old ways and probably being a burden to the NHS at a later date

Indeed. We're helping *them* as we are helping ourselves. They should recognise this. But unlike heroin, alcohol, nicoteen and other drugs we're not addicted are we... <sigh>

Having said that, I've not been in hospital since I was seven. I was worried things were about to go wrong big time!

I think they're missing the point completely. VLCD are designed to keep people motivated through the quick losses. Healthy eating and exercise is another way to lose weight, however it is a slow route and so people would be more likely to give up along the journey. It doesn't matter how you lose weight or what diet you choose, you have to be prepared to change your lifestyle. IMO, CD is a great programme in comparison to other VLCD as it takes you through distinct steps which enable you to stabilise and maintain your weight.

IMHO dieticians know that a healthy, balanced diet and exercise are the key to maintaining a healthy weight and body. Which is 100% true and we all know it. It's also the official line. So when they come to telling people how to diet they're not going to go off message...

Hey Jim... As far as I'm aware there is no 'official line' with dieticians and there are some really good Hospital dietician led VLCD programmes out there.... (Leeds I think springs to mind. it's been a while, though and I might be wrong!) wherever it is, the chief dietician is a great advocate. He has seen Non insulin dependent diabetics get their condition well under control in double quick time, particularly those who were looking at becoming insulin dependent within 12 months if they carried on that path.
And with well informed dietician support and advice on refeeding and maintenance their long term success rates on those who complete the programme are really quite remarkable.

Ali that might well be the case, but dieticians I have seen personally, or on the TV or have commented in articles all seem to give the same message, which hints at an official line. Maybe there are rebels out there :D Or maybe there are actually some people who recognise that conventional methods don't work for everyone.

The guy in question lives in my area, he was told point blank if he didn't lose 11 stone he couldn't have a life saving operation. All I can say is well done to him and lots of praise for his wife who didn't eat anything at all in front of him. He was looked after by his Doc. Is noone ever happy, if he had not lost the weight he would be seen as a burden to society, now he's seen as not irresponsible

Back