VLCD to Atkins anyone??

slimsarah

Silver Member
Currently following exante but the hair loss is distressing me so thinking of Atkins.

Can anybody offer any advice? I'd be most grateful.

Do I throw myself straight into full induction? Dreading a gain in my first week x

Hi
You might well gain first week due to the quantity of food you eat compared to liquid shakes. I did VLCD and the transition was easy enough. First thing, I didn't weigh in that week ..... Better for the mind lol.
Anyway it might be worth doing a few days with one meal and two shakes, then once you are settled do two meals and so on. Spread this out over a week or two and you won't have any issues with gain. On the whole you will love Atkins and after the initial settling in is over there's no reason why you can't continue to lose weight at a good rate. Good starter would be chicken salads, not so heavy for coming off the shakes and adjusting to food again. Check out our recipe threads for lots of brill ideas too, I couldn't have done it otherwise.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Hi there sarah I remember you from exante. I would really reccomend atkins, I lost 3lbs in my first week swapping from exante. That's sound advice from 4isnotenough.

Thankyou for your replies. Seems a bit daunting going from 600 calories (sometimes a tad more as I've been eating chicken & eggs) to eating lots of calories. Seems a bit too good to be true!

I'm definitely coming over. I started exante 8 weeks ago for an important weekend that starts next Friday with a goal to lose 3 stone. (I'm 4lb off) yayyyy. I'll stay exante till then. I'll have a blow out weekend (I'm not watching what I eat or drink, I won't even think the word 'diet') then I'm on Atkins. I'm so excited. I'm going to plan and prepare the best I can. I'll write out a shopping list, do a menu and meal plan. I need to re read the book too. I love meat & dairy and I love to cook and experiment whereas many years ago when I did Atkins, I had great success however I couldn't cook and lived off basic meat & cheese, I got bored & quit.

Hubby is over the moon that I'll be cooking again and joining him for dinner and we can start eating out again. (nandos baby)

If I could guarantee I wouldn't have a gain in my first week I'd start now but with me being just 1 week away from my weekend away I'll stick this out till then (still adding protein) xxxx

If you have a blow out weekend the week of starting then you are likely to gain, don't set yourself up for failure......maybe weigh in after two weeks to get an accurate figure?

I swapped to Atkins from Exante last September and never looked back, I lost just under a stone but was miserable and had no social life!!

Now I'm 5lb from goal having dropped over 20lbs...and still loving Atkins! Oh and wine ;0p

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks triage. You're right there. I will weigh in on the Monday morning and then 2 weeks from then. I can't wait to come of exante now. Its served it's purpose and I need some real food. It's reassuring seeing that people are continuing to lose after VLCD :) thankyou for your reply xxx

slimsarah said:
Thanks triage. You're right there. I will weigh in on the Monday morning and then 2 weeks from then. I can't wait to come of exante now. Its served it's purpose and I need some real food. It's reassuring seeing that people are continuing to lose after VLCD :) thankyou for your reply xxx

You are very welcome :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ooo I'll be interested to see how you get in. Your exante loss is just incredible. Ill let you know how i get on when I Well done xxxxx

Absolutely! I've been reading up on it and a gain is quite common, simply because your belly is full of food and not 3x vlcd packs. The volume is drastically different. I'll weigh next Monday. The day after my weekend blow out then I'm going to 'try' stay off the scales for 2 weeks. I know Atkins works, it's just daunting knowing I'll be eating fat again. There's some amazing recipes, one of the exante ladies (a low carb genius) is doing me some Atkins recipes in the next week so I'll be happy to pass some over xxxx

Have a read of Gary taubes' books or look him up on YouTube if you can. He explains the fat thing very well.

Just wish I had the will power to do a VLCD lol... I'm rubbish

VLCD can be hard or easy Alpaca. Once you get in the groove they run smoothly but hit a hiccup then it's hard to get back on track. However the losses are fab, I did VLCD for a while last year.

moonlights said:
Have a read of Gary taubes' books or look him up on YouTube if you can. He explains the fat thing very well.

I'll look this up. Thankyou :) xx

4isnotenough said:
VLCD can be hard or easy Alpaca. Once you get in the groove they run smoothly but hit a hiccup then it's hard to get back on track. However the losses are fab, I did VLCD for a while last year.

Completely agree, it's a great kickstart and I've done well, almost 3 stone in 9 weeks which I plan to keep off and lose a bit more. Thanks for the replies everybody xxx

hi all well ive been trying t do a vlcd since the end of feb.got a holiday booked in aug and not happy going the size iam now.well im really struggling and cos im not consistant i havent really lost any weight the last 3 weeks.i have lost nearly 24lbs since i started which is not much really for over 3 months.but i dont think i have stuck to it for a whole week since i started so i guess im lucky to have lost at all.anyways was thinking of doing atkins.i have 11 weeks until my holiday and im currently just fitting into a size 18 depending on the brand.im scared if it try atkins i wont do it properly and wont lose anymore weight.please help im desperate.what should i do????

Ots hard to say, tsweety. You're right, Atkins isn't a very forgiving diet at all, you have to follow the rules and if you don't then you won't lose. Only you can know if you're capable of it.

Back