Waaaaay Off Topic: Jade Goody

I think the whole situation is so tragic. She is so young and her children need their mum in their life. What I admire about Jade is that she pulled herself up from such a dreadful start in life and knew instinctively what was best for her boys and what she wanted for them. She didn't go down the - "let me replicate what I have been through" route as so many dysfunctional women would do in her situation. She didn't let herself repeat her history again with her kids. She knew they needed what she never had - a good education and a stable mother. She wanted to give them what she never had and this will be the most difficult aspect for her to come to terms with. Hopefully the input she has had over the past few years will be a good base for them. Thankfully their dad seems a good man too. May she summon up whatever bit of strength she has left to make it through these next few months.

I have been incredibly saddened by her story. I've been in a room three times with someone when the doctor has said 'there's nothing more we can do' and the feeling is just sickening.

I completely understand that she wants to make enough money for her kids to be privately educated until their 18. And the only way she can do this is through her reality TV show on Living and tabloid interviews.

From her diagnosis, going through chemo and hair loss to being told it's terminal, we've been though it all. It's all incredibly saddening and I have every sympathy for her. She's raised awareness of cervical cancer. But for me she's also brought back up all the sadness I've suffered with loved ones. And this is something I don't want. I don't want to see ANOTHER person dying from this disease. I've been there with the people I've loved as they've died. I don't want to have to go through it again.

There's someone right now dying of cancer. This very minute breathing their last breath, hopefully with the people they love with them. They may or may not leave enough money for their family to get by in the future. But they will die peacefully with no media frenzy surrounding them. No camera in their face.

Surely with her estimated £8m fortune enough is enough. You've got a matter of weeks left now. How about spending some quality time with your boys and being at peace?

She's in the paper today talking about the lavish wedding she's planning to Jack to happen within the next week. Helicopters and the most expensive of everything. Money that has come from giving interviews about her struggle with cancer, money that's supposed to be going to her boys? A bit of a double standard don't you think?

I've no doubt Max clifford has secured million pound deals with Hello for her wedding, and probably even her funeral. But it's starting to leave a sick taste in my mouth.

When does the time come to say 'enough now', stop and take the time to breathe, feel the sun coming in through the window, hear your kids voices and just be at peace?

We've heard her story. And in a few weeks (I think maybe they're being a little generous with the 'months' diagnosis) we'll hear that sadly she's passed away. But death is not a media frenzy. It's not something to make money from (even if it is for your kids future)

Those kids will never want for anything. They'll be 'Jade's boys' and no doubt earn money of their own from the media when they get older.

If she's got the right legal team they'll be set up for life..and then some.

But please Jade. I don't want to hear any more. I know it's painful. I know you feel your losing your dignity. But please. I don't want to go through this with you I'm afraid.

On a different note. Serenity- don't forget next month is Prostate Cancer awareness month.

Over 35,000 men are diagnosed in the UK every year.

One man dies every minute from prostate cancer.

It's the most common male cancer in the UK...and yet 70% of people don't even know what the prostate does.

For all the men on here please go to www.prostatecancermatters.org.uk to find more info. For the ladies, send the link to the man you love.

I'm doing my bit to rasie awareness. Go to www.justgiving.co.uk/rachelhooper3 for more info. Thank you xxx

Sad yes, but what a lovely article. The reporter really captured Jade's spirit.

Reading through it reminded me of the couple of programmes that I've watched about her. It made me smile, laugh, but I was also moved.

That's Jade in a nutshell. If she was going for the sympathy vote, she'd just be showing herself lying on the bed telling of the dreadful fate laid before her, but no...Jade is planning. She excited. She's going to make sure she squeezes every little bit out of what she has left.

It seems to me that Jade bears all. She laughs, she cries. I feel she is totally honest with her emotions.

I remember when I lost my dad. I was 13. I was very sad (obviously), but that's not to say I was sad 24/7. I remember the wake after the funeral. The grownups were talking grownup talk:rolleyes: I was bored. I went upstairs and had a little cry.

Then I came down and played a popular ball game against the wall. I remember smiling as it was going well.

My brother saw me and gave me a really harsh telling off. How dare I smile on such a day

I hadn't learnt what behaviour was expected of me in this situation. I was just being myself. Very sad much of the time, but also happy moments when I was just living my life.

I feel that is Jade. She's commiting the ultimate sin (in some people's eyes) of actually doing what she wants to do with the remainder of her time.

I'm excited for her in a way. Hope she stays strong enough to enjoy her dream wedding.

I feel that is Jade. She's commiting the ultimate sin (in some people's eyes) of actually doing what she wants to do with the remainder of her time.
quote]

I have read this thread with some interest. And have to say KD that what you says sums up how I feel about the whole thing.

Made me think about all the things I am so grateful for.

just out of interest its just said on the news that the cancer research website has had over 32,000 hits whereas in the same period it would normally get only 2,000
They have directly linked this to Jade - so whoever it was who wanted proof.....

Also there are 1,000s more people taking up smear tests - can't just be a coincidence

daisy x

She's in the paper today talking about the lavish wedding she's planning to Jack to happen within the next week. Helicopters and the most expensive of everything. Money that has come from giving interviews about her struggle with cancer, money that's supposed to be going to her boys? A bit of a double standard don't you think?

I think she is entitled to a dream wedding in her last days, if thats her wish. Sheesh - she can spend SOME money on her for heavens sakes!! ;)

. But please. I don't want to go through this with you I'm afraid.

THank goodness for the off switch. :)

Thats the thing - nobody has to watch Jade if they choose not too.....

I know :sigh: but they just keep on about sport Every Saturday, often during the week. Often changing my programmes to fit in a football match/tennis whatever. And it's been like this for years and years. Doesn't look like it's going to stop either:eek:

I often feel like telling them to go home and be with their families.

I did hear a rumour that some of them get paid to play on the field:eek: Cripes. Hope it's minimum wage and they give it to charity :D

Just bawled my eyes out :eek:

She's made of stronger stuff that many of us ever gave her credit for. I was pretty much take her or leave her - she made me smile on occasions and roll my eyes at other times - but now I have nothing but admiration for this remarkable young woman. (a description that I would never in a million years have thought I would use to describe Jade)
xx
xx

xx

Re: Jades Wedding

Well, she got her dress from Dody Fayed - so no cost there. Several celebrities are offering to host her wedding. So no cost there.

APparently loads of celebs have jumped on with interest.

Very very nice.

BL- Dodi Fayed was in the car with Diana. I think you mean Mohammed!

I know we can turn off the tv. But every time I walk past a news stand I see her face on the cover of every paper.

I pity her. I really do. And her boys. My boyfrield lost his mum when he was 8 to cancer and has undertandably never got over it.

The point I'm trying to make is that I've had enough death and misery in my life to have to be involved in the painful demise of someone I don't even know. I don't particularly like her. She's had a tough life (just like thousands of other people) She's shown us already just how awful cancer is (something which most people unfortunately get to see at some point in their lives) and as a result she's raised awareness and hopefully saved some lives in her own way too.

But it's not a case of 'turn off the TV'. It's everywhere. I look at the BBC news website to see what's happening in the world and it's there. I go to tesco and there it is at the checkout.

Surely there comes a point where it's time to step out of the limelight?

I remember when my best friend died and the world was carrying on as if nothing had happened. I wanted to shout and scream and let them know this wonderful girl was no longer here.

The world will know when Jade dies and share the grief of her boys, mum and soon to be husband.

Call me selfish but I don't want to re-live the grief I've suffered every time I go into a shop or look at a website and see the same look on her face I've seen in those of the people I love. You can't switch it off. It's everywhere.

Call me selfish but I don't want to re-live the grief I've suffered every time I go into a shop or look at a website and see the same look on her face I've seen in those of the people I love. You can't switch it off. It's everywhere.

But that's the thing I don't get. I see little of the misery of Jade, and more of the way she's making the most of the hand she is dealt.

I really get the feeling that the people who are against what Jade is doing, are really saying she has no right to go out and enjoy herself and should really be in bed 'suffering'.

And as I've said before, I've never been a fan of Jade, though she's growing on me ;), but I'm looking forward to hearing about how she fulfills her dreams in her last few weeks.

I can see it. I her eyes. I've seen that look too many times before

BL- Dodi Fayed was in the car with Diana. I think you mean Mohammed!

I know we can turn off the tv. But every time I walk past a news stand I see her face on the cover of every paper.

I pity her. I really do. And her boys. My boyfrield lost his mum when he was 8 to cancer and has undertandably never got over it.

The point I'm trying to make is that I've had enough death and misery in my life to have to be involved in the painful demise of someone I don't even know. I don't particularly like her. She's had a tough life (just like thousands of other people) She's shown us already just how awful cancer is (something which most people unfortunately get to see at some point in their lives) and as a result she's raised awareness and hopefully saved some lives in her own way too.

But it's not a case of 'turn off the TV'. It's everywhere. I look at the BBC news website to see what's happening in the world and it's there. I go to tesco and there it is at the checkout.

Surely there comes a point where it's time to step out of the limelight?

I remember when my best friend died and the world was carrying on as if nothing had happened. I wanted to shout and scream and let them know this wonderful girl was no longer here.

The world will know when Jade dies and share the grief of her boys, mum and soon to be husband.

The time when it becomes enough is when Jade decides it's enough. She has only a short amount on time left on this earth and she can spend it in whatever way she chooses, I would not begrudge her that.

Whilst you have my deepest sympathy for your losses and indeed I believe most of us have been touched by the ravages of cancer to deny someone the right to spend their final few months in the way they choose because it upsets you I find quite shocking.

It's funny, but the posts made by people here do not in the least surprise me. The people who generally come across as kind and understanding on the board in general remain so on this thread. It's just underlined to me that there are good and not so good people out there.

I can't believe some would begrudge someone who has WEEKS left on this earth whatever she chooses!

It's all the more poignant to me, as I've just got a new lease at life, in fact I have a completely new life!! I'm just so thankful for this and I'm going to live it to the full and enjoy every minute and be as kind and understanding and non judgemental as I possibly can in memory of friends and family who aren't so lucky...

The time when it becomes enough is when Jade decides it's enough. She has only a short amount on time left on this earth and she can spend it in whatever way she chooses, I would not begrudge her that.

Whilst you have my deepest sympathy for your losses and indeed I believe most of us have been touched by the ravages of cancer to deny someone the right to spend their final few months in the way they choose because it upsets you I find quite shocking.

Maybe I have been misunderstood. But why would I want to watch someone...anyone dying? Why is not wanting to see someone suffering and in pain so shocking? That's the point I'm trying to make.

It's an invasion of the most private, painful and intimate moment of anyone's life. And yet we're all gawping in (by Jade's choice). That's what I find so hard to take.

Maybe I have been misunderstood. But why would I want to watch someone...anyone dying? Why is not wanting to see someone suffering and in pain so shocking? That's the point I'm trying to make.

It's an invasion of the most private, painful and intimate moment of anyone's life. And yet we're all gawping in (by Jade's choice). That's what I find so hard to take.

But that is the key to all of this, it is her choice and who are we to deny her that. I don't relish the prospect of watching someone die but if she chooses to do so in the public eye then that is ultimately her choice and I respect that.

What I meant by shocking was that you appeared to be saying she shouldn't do what she was doing because it upset you which is denying her the right to choose.

Yes it's her choice. And everyone is entitled to their choices in life.

And sometimes we make wrong choices.

Just because it's the choice of a dying woman doesn't mean it's the right choice. (and that doesn't mean I'm saying she's a bad person)

Yes it makes me very uncomfortable and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Back