Weasey's Re-Feed

Emzy22 said:
Your before and after shots are insane, you look like a totally different person! Seriously well well done, you are such a massive inspiration!!!! And also even more well dones to you on your plan for refeed, i will deffo be following this thread, and when ever i get to my goal will want to be slowly introducing foods in the same way as you are, amazing stuff beautiful lady!xxx

Why thank you kind person you!

OK - Plan Revised...

Managed to have a chat with my hubby this morning about his concerns and it turns out that he's worried that my calories are going to stay way below my resting calorie level needs for quite a while more. He's not worried about the carbs. He would like me to jump to 1200 calories a day this week. So, what I've agreed is that I'll increase the calories to 1000 this week but keep the carbs the same (at 60g) rather than increasing them to 70g. In a way this is better because I'll be able to see the affect that increasing calories has on it's own - rather than both calories and carbs and not knowing which has affected me. I actually quite like this idea so have reworked the plan (I dare say it'll be changed again at some point!)...

PhaseCaloriesCarbs

For the second phase (which I have just started) I'll be staying with 3 foodpacks and 1 protein meal (although some days I may only have 2 packs depending on food choices to stay within my 1000 calorie / 60g of carbs daily limits). The food choices will be:

Type
Daily Servings
Choice
Additional Protein1reduced fat Hummus, Nuts, plain (note very high in calories so a 25g portion is about right - roughly 150 cals), Seeds, plain – such as sesame, poppy, pumpkin, sunflower, linseed
Fruitmaximum 13 Apricots, 1 handful or 1/3 cup Blackberries, 4 heaped tbsp or 2 x 1/3 cup Blackcurrants (fresh), 2 Figs, 6 Kumquats, Lemon, Lime, 2 small Mandarins, 1 medium Nectarine, 1/3 cup Olives, 1 medium Peach, 2 Plums, 2 handfuls or 2 x 1/3 cup Raspberries, 4 heaped tbsp or 2 x 1/3 cup Redcurrants (fresh), 5 chunks tinned, 2 heaped tbsp or ¼ cup cooked Rhubarb, 7 Strawberries, 2 small Tangerines, 4 heaped tbsp or 2 x 1/3 cup Whitecurrants (fresh)
Additional Vegetablesmin 3 (80g each)Carrot, preferably baby/young, Spring onions, dried White onion, Red onion, Tomato (including fresh, tinned/packet, passata), Tomato puree, vegetable juice

Last edited:
My Refeed So Far...

Here is my refeed progress so far...

Week
Phase
Calories
Carbs
Weight Change
Blood Sugar (min/max/ave)
+1
4.8/7.2/5.8
4.7/5.7/5.2
don't know yet
don't know yet

Weasey I'm so impressed by your planning! It has made me think about my own refeed (not long to go now yay!) and I fear that my own organisational skills are nowhere near yours... My planning has consisted of writing a list of naughty foods I want to eat after refeeding which I know is probably a recipe for disaster! But I feel like I need to get it out of my system before I embark on healthy eating...!
Anyway you are doing fantastic and you've spurred me on to consider my own eating habits a lot more x

Wonderfil pix Weasey - you look lovely. I agree with Saddlebags - your planning is great - so I am learning that planning is important. I saw a friend using MFP to scan a barcode with his phone when we were out together - and will definitely get a smart phone and download the app. I know from WW, tracking as I go is essential for me.

Saddlebags, Saddlebags:

You are right. I'm going to talk tough to you.

Stop with that stinking thinking of 'naughty' foods I will eat at goal. You can have anything in moderation - so having the naughty mindset is a recipe for bingeing and also having 80% poor food choices rather 80% great choices and 20% or less - maybe once a week indulgent higher fat and/or carb and/or prefab and processed foods. Plan in some of what you fancy - and understand it is all ok occasionally in sensible portion sizes.

And I just had another thought - does your name refer to saddlebag thighs? If so, maybe you can also consider changing your name to a supportive and healthy one - perhaps just simple Saddle, a lass who uses her bike and so is often on her bike saddle having healthy rides? or5 something else. I feel we should ditch fat names and identities with our fat clothes. You wouldn't walk around at goal in clown trouser 3 sizes too big for you, so take a lovely name for yourself too.

Take care, SaddleB - and you rock, Weasey!

AliGirl thank you for telling me what I really really needed to hear! I feel like I'm in dangerous territory as I'm near goal and my feelings about food haven't seemed to have changed yet. I needed that kick up the bum!
I was planning on doing slimming world to maintain, but don't think it's right for me because I'm greedy and the idea of having 'free' foods like potatoes is too much temptation for me to gorge. I like clear, set rules.
I do not want to live forever depriving myself of treats so I think that I will have 1 day a week where I allow myself to eat what I like (in moderation). Probably Saturday- this will allow me to go out and drink as part of my 'day off' and enjoy parties and dinners with friends.
As for my name, yes I have battled forever with my pear shape. I never thought the saddlebags would go. However, they have dramatically shrunk since I've lost this weight and I no longer struggle with clothes, no longer hate my hips and bum and thighs. I have actually changed shape and am in proportion again. I like the name as a reminder of what I used to hate about my body!

Free food definitely would not work for me either. I need limits and MFP allows me to log everything and make decent choices. I'm cutting myself a bit of slack at the weekend in my refeed and I will be doing the same in maintenance too so I'm devising my own plan where I can incorporate that (within limits). I looked at someone's MFP diary yesterday who had consumed 6000 calories in 1 day! She hadn't gone mental and scoffed packets and packets of sweets etc, but drinks she chose and certain high calorie foods (but not obviously very high calorie) made the total amazingly high. She was shocked when she logged it and having made a few different choices the last few days (but still eating quite a lot) she has got the total down to around 2000. It's all about making good choices whilst allowing ourselves a little of what we fancy too. It's how naturally thin people unconsciously behave I believe.

I nearly didn't post and then thought...I'd want one of my Minimins friends to tell me to be careful. So I'm relived it was Ok with you.

I absolutely agree - I think having a forbidden list makes it more likely to binge. And some of those free list approaches, even the SW syn plan, seems to encourage planning for bingeing and prefabricated low fat processed foods. That can't be the best for us.

And somehow we need to establish a new normal, a new way of living and eating that we can sustain. We need to adopt ways of living the thin use naturally.

I noticed that singapore noodle dish in Sainsburys had around 640 calories. In the old days, I'd have had one of those plus other stuff, and probably been 1,000 plus calories over my needs.

I will be tracking calories to begin with - even though I don't think all calories are equal. So I'll put lower carb amounts. Protein is definitely better for us than the equivalent calories in white sugar or pasta. So I think my guidelines will be to avoid refined carbs and sugar - with just occasional consumption. I think a free day a week might be too much for me so I will sometimes have a some things that generally I will choose not to eat. I hope to manage some good fats from animals, olives, nuts and coconuts in the mix.

So my general pattern is likely to be some good quality protein 3 times a day, with 2 snacks mid morning and mid afternoon - which may also be protein. I'll continue to have lots of salad and lower starch veggies. Sometimes I'll have things like roast potatoes or a nice glass of wine- and plan in for them. So mostly my diet won't include refined starches, sugars and alcohol and will have good fresh food. I will also keep a daily record of what I eat and my weight.

I like the way Dukan says that the fatter you've been, the longer your stabilisation phase is. I think that's all about establishing our new normal and stabilising the metabolism and our habits. I find it very exciting and hope we will all continue posting about what is working for us and what isn't, even if it's not daily, as I find it so supportive.

I'd like to be able to think how a 'normal' person thinks when it comes to food, but know it won't come automatically. Like most of us, when I used to be scoffing I'd think "I shouldn't be eating this, it's naughty" but would eat it anyway. I am hoping that after the hard work I've put in, I am less likely to want to sabotage it.
I'd like to be able to eat a hearty breakfast- so either a bowl of porridge or cereal with some fruit or yoghurt, or a proper breakfast- bacon, sausages, beans etc, but grilled not fried.
My lunch is always eaten away from the office when I'm at work and there is no other option but to do this. Which means proper planning i.e. cooking up something I can eat cold from a box (I'm thinking some cous cous and veg or brown rice and veg?) or a salad with chicken or eggs. I really don't want to be eating sandwiches as they are my weakness- I'd eat anything between 2 slices of bread. And I don't want to have to buy anything on the move- if I do this I'm more likely to do it when I'm hungry and likely to succumb to fast food.
I really love cooking. I'd love to be able to eat my lovely casseroles and pies again. I like making pastry but it's lots of butter. The same with bread and cakes- I'd happily spend all weekend baking, the danger being I live alone so there's only me to feed!
For me it's all about portion control I think, and cutting out certain foods completely.

So I just totted up the calories from one of the meals consumed by the old fat me:

Tikka Masala 427 (31g carbs)
Naan 319 (48.4g carbs)
Pilau Rice 449 (85.5g carbs)
Total 1195 (164.9g carbs!) :eek:
All washed down with some sort of alcohol.

But I do like that meal so my weekend refeed variation is now:

Tikka Masala 335 (7.8g carbs)
Low carb pitta 60 (8g carbs)
Total 395 calories (15.6g carbs)

So pretty much a third of the calories but less than 10% of the carbs! There's less of it of course but I can't eat as much now as I used to and I've learnt about portion sizes and that I don't need to stuff myself full of carbs to feel good. It's still tasty though, and I enjoy it. I like to eat and I enjoy the taste of food so I'll never be an eat to live person. I just need to move away from the live to eat person that I was before and meet somewhere in the middle.

Sorry Weasey, I meant that to be on my refeed diary!

I like the Dukan approach to after weightloss. I have lost 130 lbs and so by his reconing that means I should have almost 2 years of stabilising my weight before moving on to maintenance. He has the concept of one meal a week (not a whole day!) when you can eat anything you want (2 a week in thw second half of the phase - so year 2 for me). But in that meal you can only have one portion of anything - so one steak, one portion of chips, one glass of wine, one pudding etc. The concept being that you don't get cravings because you know you can have whatever it is during your one meal a week. I am not following Dukan during my refeed but I'm certainly going to take a look at his plan and pull some of the concepts through into my maintenance rules.

BordersGirl said:
Sorry Weasey, I meant that to be on my refeed diary!

No problem - it's interesting!

Tonight I had the most gorgeous snack... Greek yogurt with 7 strawberries and 5g of flaked almonds - yummy!

Mmm - that's always been a favourite combination of mine, I can't wait to be on refeed :) Keep up the good work Weasey!

How's it going Weasey? I'm 5lbs away from goal now so hoping to have my own thread soon :)

It's going well - sorry I haven't updated in a while - super busy! Still on phase 2 and sticking on it for another week. I am now 10 stone 1 lb - my goal was 10 stone so I'm in the right kind of place. Didn't get a chance to plan things properly last week so doing the same foods this week and planning properly...

Oh - and congrats on being only 5 lbs away!

OK - here's a proper update!

Hmmm. this week has been super busy for me. Work (as always) but I've also had my mum to visit. All of this means that I haven't made time to plan my food or do my exercise. I've also been eating out more and it's hard to know how the food has been prepared. I haven't eaten anything off plan for my stage but I haven't been paying attention enough.

This is a strong lesson to me on the importance of planning and paying enough attention. I have to make time to do that given my work schedule but the minute there's anything on top of that I can't work out where to get the time.

My mum has gone now so I'll be back to planning today. Definitely staying in phase 2 for another week. It's a bit worrying how easy it is to slip out of things and put weight on.

I weighed in this evening and I've only put on one lb but it feels more important than the small weight gain would imply. I'm now only 1 lb above goal and have no issue with that. However, when I was larger I was always missing meals because I was busy and getting really hungry later and eating whatever would fill me up the quickest (normally bread) because I was busy and paid very little attention to what I was eating or my portion sizes. I guess this last week has held the echos of that for me - although I only ate foods on the 'allowed' list for phase 2 and tried to stick to the portion sizes I didn't record everything in MFP - and I didn't plan everything in advance in MFP.

My LL counsellor says that I might be too wedded to the need to plan and that I should perhaps accept that sometimes I can't plan and so need to make the best choices I can in those circumstances. She may be right. But I don't want to give myself permission not to plan as work is always busy and I could see me slipping back into old behaviours if I'm not mindful enough. Last week was exceptionally busy because I had visitors so perhaps I should accept that in those circumstances I can't plan and should put some of the contingency measures in place which the management guys suggested instead... I shall have to mull on this. Why do I feel the need to be so much in control? What would happen if I didn't plan so carefully? Is it ok to have short bursts when I can't plan? Can I have rough guidelines for myself about what I do when I can't plan? This whole area is really interesting to me and I think this mulling will really help me in my long term weight management...

Last edited:
.... I haven't eaten anything off plan for my stage but I haven't been paying attention enough.

This is a strong lesson to me on the importance of planning and paying enough attention. I have to make time to do that given my work schedule but the minute there's anything on top of that I can't work out where to get the time.

My LL counsellor says that I might be too wedded to the need to plan and that I should perhaps accept that sometimes I can't plan and so need to make the best choices I can in those circumstances. She may be right. But I don't want to give myself permission not to plan as work is always busy and I could see me slipping back into old behaviours if I'm not mindful enough. Last week was exceptionally busy because I had visitors so perhaps I should accept that in those circumstances I can't plan and should put some of the contingency measures in place which the management guys suggested instead... I shall have to mull on this. Why do I feel the need to be so much in control? What would happen if I didn't plan so carefully? Is it ok to have short bursts when I can't plan? Can I have rough guidelines for myself about what I do when I can't plan? This whole area is really interesting to me and I think this mulling will really help me in my long term weight management...

Good post, Weasey. Very thought provoking. I disagree with your counsellor in part. Yes - you do need to be able to handle uncertainty so that you make good choices if your planning doesn't pan out. Planning cannot become a hang up.

However, it is not surprising to me that you want to plan. We have had disordered or overeating for years. I really recognise myself in forgetting to eat then eating whatever was available often with lots of carbs, and often at my desk or coming in late at night with a takeaway or microwave meal.

I think planning is about learning to eat in a way that serves us and our bodies. If it takes 30 days to learn a new habit, how many months does it take to reverse chaotic eating habits? Planning enables us to embed our new habits and use them through good (feast) times and bad times - physically and emotionally. Our new ways of eating become familiar and the norm for us. So I will be embracing planning too. It already helps me make better choices.

I also think having some guidelines are also helpful when not planned. Maybe like not eating high carbs or saying no to the bread basket, choosing the protein dish simply cooked and eating smaller portions. Or 'balancing' up intake before a feast meal - so dropping calories for a few days ahead of a special meal so the daily average for the week is good, rather than playing catch up afterwards.

It raises an interesting question for me - will I continue asking for special meals when I'm at goal? I think sometimes I may, particularly when I just get to goal. BG's post of 2 curry meals really brings it home - meals can be very calorific or less so. I know my friends who love me will be willing to do lower carb meals for me anytime I ask.

I also think your guideline of stopping the slippage at 1lb makes sense. It is so much easier than reversing 8lbs or 18lbs. It's also better for our bodies to understand their new set point. In retrospect, I can't understand why I just bought bigger sized clothes as I put the weight on. So a new habit of taking action is essential.

Thanks, Weasey Star!

Back