Weasey's Re-Feed

Are you still in ketosis? I went up to 11 9 at one point when I first came out of ketosis but am at 11 2 now. I think my body has just got used to the additional calories TBH.

No - not in ketosis at the moment. It's not just that though - my clothes are getting a little tighter - they still fit though! I'm happy - it's all under control and I'm learning loads. Is it odd that I feel so positive about it all?!

I know how you feel to be honest. This part is a lot more important and a lot more educational.

I knew when I went into ketosis, but I don't know if I'm out of ketosis as I've had no signs. But I can't still be in ketosis as from day 3 the S&S refeed introduces 150g potatoes! I've not been really hungry though.
I'm a little concerned that although my cals for today were only 768, my carbs came to 100. This seems frightfully high... But I guess the point of refeed is to chuck you out of ketosis?

I try to keep to 100g carbs during the week on a 1200 calorie limit so 100g on 800 calories does sound quite high. It's really easy to overdose on carbs if you're not careful as I've found myself so I compromise and keep them relatively low during the week and have more at weekends when I also have more calories. Carbs make me hungry and crave more carbs so I do have to be careful with them otherwise I could base my whole diet around carbs and then I'm sure I'd have difficulty maintaining.

That's what I thought, but I am following the plan so it must be the intention to get you out of ketosis or something? Carbs + me = bingeing on crisps, so once refeed is over I'll be cutting right back. Any carbs I have will be through pulses I think, oh and perhaps a cheeky tipple on a Saturday :D
Just looked on MFP. Carb offenders today were special k (22.5g of carbs in 30g of cereal :eek:), potatoes (25g carbs in 150g boiled spuds) and my banoffee yoghurt (10.8g carbs in 125g yoghurt). Everything else like the skimmed milk, S&S pack, veg etc I'm happy with but those... Hmm... I'm only doing what the sheet says though so it must be just a very quick boot out of ketosis. Think I'll be looking at the Alpro natural yoghurt though BG as 10.8g carbs for a small yoghurt is a lot for a small pot, albeit delicious. Has anyone tried a yoghurt maker? Apparently you can make your own very cheaply and nearly no carbs.

Yep - I'm still keeping the carbs reasonably low. I don't want carb cravings! I'll be keeping them quite low going forward though - with my diabetes I'm going to keep the carbs low - along with the GL. I'm still on phase 3 of my refeed - all be it I have been having too many calories! I've been sticking to the types of food. Am back on 1000 calories from today to get rid of the extra pounds...

Strange how things change... When I was large I didn't care what I looked like, wasn't interested in clothes and felt good about myself and who I was (not the typical response you hear about in the press!). Now that I'm smaller I do care what I look like, love clothes and feel good about myself! However, I have recently put on around half a stone through stress. Now my clothes are tight and I don't like feeling thicker around the middle. It's not a problem - I'm bavk on track now and am ramping up the exercise - but I'm a bit concerned that I feel so negatively about my body size right now. Is this good (keeps me on track) or bad (makes me feel bad about myself so more likely to comfort eat)? Not sure yet...

Loks of new things in the next week or so. On Wednesday I have my first personal therapy session (bit scared!), on Friday I have an induction to the gym equipment at the health club I've joined and on a week Monday I start training with a personal trainer (bit scared again!).

Also, on Tuesday I have an appointment to get some medical test results. My mum has Lynch syndrome (makes you far more likely to get certain cancers and she has had lots of them, love her to bits). I have a 50% chance of having it too (as its a genetic mutation rather than an illness) and I've been chasing the NHS since December to get a test to find out. Well, Tuesday is results day - and I'm a bit scared about that too! So all in all I'm a bit scared about a number of things - which isn't like me at all. Will be interesting to see what I have to say about them all once they're done.

SB, I'd definitely look for a lower carb yoghurt - one that isn't so high in sugars. Those artificial flavoured ones are dreadful for that. I find the soya yoghurt quite sweet enough but it has only 2.1g of carbs per 100g.

Weasey, I definitely know what you mean about clothes. My only criteria for clothes pre diet was to find clothes that I didn't look too awful in. Now I feel much better about myself I find myself wanting clothes that I feel good in, and I too love to buy new things now. I'd turn the negativity you feel in terms of having put on a few pounds into a positive that will help you maintain your weight more easily. It's easy to base our lives on negatives if we're not careful. The British are the best at that :).

I really hope your appointment goes well on Tuesday and you get good news. I'm sure that your apprehension about this is colouring your thoughts about other things too at the moment, and you have a lot going on. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you xx

Thanks guys. The appointment did go well yesterday and I don't have Lynch syndrome so all good there!

I had my first personal therapy session today. Really quite interesting. When I was a teenager I decided to not worry about what I was eating, and if that meant at I put on weight then that was fine. That decision freed me up from worrying about it and was fantastic for my mental health. I had no negative views about myself and didn't have a low self opinion. But it was terrible for my physical health - decades of being obese or morbidly obese and getting type 2 diabetes. My body size wasn't part of who I was - I viewed it as completely irrelevant. I didn't moisturise or look after my body at all. I didn't like being fussed over and would never have gone to a spa. I didn't eat breakfast because it made me feel sick and I would often miss lunch if I was busy. By the time I got home from work I would be starving and stuff myself with bread until I was full.

Through discussion it became clear to me that I had discounted my body completely. I cherished my mind but not my body - it was irrelevant. I ignored it until it shouted out for attention. I wonder if my overeating is a way of me nurturing myself - because I certainly never did that for my body in the past. Not sure - interesting to see what next week brings...

In the meantime I've got an induction to gym equipment on Friday and my first session with a personal trainer on Monday. I even went to aqua zumba for the first time last Sunday (and loved it!). I bought more swim stuff today and will be sorting out three swim bags so that I always have one in the car. Can you tell that I really don't want to put the weight back on?! Am still 8 lbs above goal having put some on due to stress in the last few weeks. Am hoping that all of this work helps to bring it back down again...

Fab news re the syndrome! I bet that's a weight off your mind (even if not 8lbs worth ;)) and hopefully you can rid yourself of the stress very soon.

Fantastic news Weasey, so chuffed for you. That must be a weight off your mind which was causing you stress. I am a big believer in stress causing us to eat, both physically and through comfort eating.

It's funny that you said that you couldn't eat breakfast before as it made you feel sick. I used to be the same but now I couldn't cope without having my breakfast first thing. The S&S plan allows me to have 30g ish of cereal in the morning but I'll be having a more substantial breakfast when I'm done as I have found that I am getting hungrier near to lunch. I won't be having full English every day but will have some fruit in my porridge or a couple of eggs on toast.

It sounds like the therapy session went well. I had a similar issue and have previously suffered from eating too little, again it was lack of concern over my body but it was control for me. I'm absolutely determined that I won't get sucked into the same trap. Therapy really did help me- at first I found myself being more obsessed as I was thinking about it more but after a few sessions got my head around it. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me and that it helps you to maintain respect for your body. Although I think by working so hard to get to goal you have already achieved that.

Brilliant news about the aqua Zumba! I need to get myself some new trainers, mine shrunk in the tumble dryer... Then I'll be hitting the pavements again :rolleyes: Had to run at work today for a bit and I'm embarrassed at how tired I was!

Did you do any regular exercise before, Weasey or Borders? I'd really like to find something that I enjoy. I'm a good swimmer but at the pools near me it's all kids swimming or an open pool when I'm not working. For the last few years I've done a little running/ jogging but I hate it and have never had this elusive 'addicted to exercise' feeling that everyone says they find! :sigh:

I never did much exercise before - although I've always loved hiking so I did do that - but not on a regular basis. I see exercise as helping me to maintain my weight, a way of putting my body first rather than my mind (!), a way of keeping my blood sugar at a good level and also as something where I can set targets and work towards them (in replacement of weekly weight loss).

I joined a local health club thingy. It has a swimming pool which is never full of screaming kids! It also has lots of 'free' classes - one of which was aqua zumba. I'm thinking of going to yoga pilates (not sure how they combine them) tomorrow after my induction to the gym equipment. It will depend quite how intense the induction turns out to be!

Great news re Lynch, Weasey. really good.

And good re the action you are taking.

RE yogurt: I love Total 0% - high in protein and low on everything else. I have the plain one - it's expensive but very good. I'll be making my own when I'm at target - but like the certainty of knowing the nutritional info now.

I don't do nearly enough exercise I'm afraid (for that read none apart from some walking). Strange as I used to be hugely active when I was younger. I've somehow become a couch potato over the years. I'd like to tone up my legs etc tho so will need to get off my butt and do something I think :)

It would be great if we could share any exercise we do, that way we can gauge what's good for 'new' exercisers and not too intimidating!
I'd love to be good at something like mountain biking or fell running, but whenever I've tried it, after about 15 minutes I've wanted to go home! I just don't get any of those warm fuzzy feelings that others get and I'm very jealous. When I was running (before I piled on the weight) I was doing 6 miles running ish, but always hated it.
For now, I walk the dog every day and sometimes do a 'run walk', other than that I'm still on the look out for a sport I enjoy...

I've just had my first session with a personal trainer. Somehow I seem to have ended up with two different personal trainers... The first one today was fun - she was surprised how much core strength and leg strength I have (I think she was expecting me to be a weakling after hearing how much weight I'd lost and how). My arm strength is rubbish though!

Last edited:
I've just been to a yoga-pilates class too! I'm on fire today!

I've read parts of your other diary and also this one. You've become a slim and save (and ll) inspiration. A very well done to you.

That's very nice of you to say Sonia Doll - it'll be you soon!

Back