Weigh not weight

Ugh, I cannot stand text speak. I want to stab people in the face with blunt pencils if they use text speak.

My nan uses text speak when she texts me and I find it quite distressing. I don't understand why it's necessary to only remove one or two letters with text speak e.g. to - 2. Your- ur. Like-lyk.

If I can keep my texts to one message using proper english SO CAN YOU!

And don't get me started on people who use text speak on the interweb...

xx

think the only one I use is LOL...
that's becuase I can't be bothered to learn the others, as I don't really see the need for them - Oh, and I do a few smileys :)

I do 'lol' aswell as I don't really consider it text speak, its either that or I put in brackets 'I find this funny' or 'i'm laughing out loud' at the end of my texts or posts.....which I don't see the point of so i'm ok with 'lol' :)

I absolutely detest text speak. I particularly hate 'dis dey and dat' I mean come on who the hell talks like that

My Rosie (age 13) came home last week and asked if I had seen her 'free pens' - I had a rant at her saying "It's three Rosie T.H.R.E.E." (This is a common mother daughter conversation in my house) - "No" she said ... Have you seen my free pens ... the teacher gave them to us"!!!

Oh we did LOL!!! (Ha ha - pun intended ;))

Ali* said:
My Rosie (age 13) came home last week and asked if I had seen her 'free pens' - I had a rant at her saying "It's three Rosie T.H.R.E.E." (This is a common mother daughter conversation in my house) - "No" she said ... Have you seen my free pens ... the teacher gave them to us"!!!

Oh we did LOL!!! (Ha ha - pun intended ;))

Oh Ali my Mum still has this conversation with me.. I'm sure I don't do it, but she swears I do!! I'm an English student and a self-confessed grammar and spelling bore so it's even more embarrassing when she mentions it ;) xx

I agree that everyone should feel comfortable to come on here and type what they want/how they want without feeling bad about it but I didn't read it as an offensive post. My spelling/grammar is fine 99% of the time, my typing on the other hand.... I also skim read so tend to miss 'mistakes' anyway (and sometimes the whole point hehe)

.... however one of my pet peeves is when people (esp. on face book) write could/should/would OF instead of could/should/would HAVE - there is no reason why this should bother me, I am no teacher/ grammar expert!! But it just irritates me (sorry if anyone has done it in this post- wasn't a personal dig)

AND 'hun' as it is short for honey (not spelt hunny....) but again, that's just personal preference

*edited...to remove grammatical error!! (Haha!)*

Last edited:
And mine! Yeah I agree cats smell of old ladies!

Or do old ladies smell of cats??? ;) (chicken vs egg.....)

Although being a crazy cat lady myself I agree with aesir22!!

K.T said:
I agree that everyone should feel comfortable to come on here and type what they want/how they want without feeling bad about it but I didn't read it as an offensive post. My spelling/grammar is fine 99% of the time, my typing on the other hand.... I also skim read so tend to miss 'mistakes' anyway (and sometimes the whole point hehe)

.... however one of my pet peeves is when people (esp. on face book) write could/should/would OF instead of could/should/would HAVE - there is no reason why this should bother me, I am no teacher/ grammar expert!! But it just irritates me (sorry if anyone has done it in this post- wasn't a personal dig)

AND 'hun' as it is short for honey (not spelt hunny....) but again, that's just personal preference

I use Hun all the time - never thought it would annoy, but I get why it would now you point it out!!

Well that has solved a mystery for me - I could never understand why people kept calling each other "Hun".

I had no idea it was short for "Honey"!

I don't like the use of 'of' instead of have, and the use of 'off' instead of 'from' as in 'I borrowed it off Steve" or "I got it off Fred" is just as grating.

My ultimate peeve is the spelling of the word definitely. It's deFINITEly as in the opposite of inFINITEly. It's not definately, or even defiantly!
Now I'm not having a go I'm just stating a peeve and it says more about how pedantic I am, than about anyone else!

The three/free thing was dreadful when I worked in the Post Office. A girl came in one day and asked for a "free top up" I laughed and said "wouldn't we all", then realised there was a phone company called Three!

However I use the term 'Hun' and I spell it 'hunny' as to me it's a fun, jokey term, to denote liking and (usually) to show support and solidarity. Just as someone may use 'lovey' which is not actually a word, not as a term of endearment.
However I may write 'honey' to my husband.
By the way this all makes sense in my head!

Personally I find the use of 'hun' really patronising but I feel the same about 'love', 'sweetie', 'chick' and 'darlin' so it may be a regional thing. Isn't it funny how people's interpretations can differ - person A means one thing when they use a particular word but person B runs it through their own personal filter and receives it differently.

Last edited:
PatchworkPuss said:
Personally I find the use of 'hun' really patronising but I feel the same about 'love', 'sweetie', 'chick' and 'darlin' so it may be a regional thing. Isn't it funny how people's interpretations can differ - person A means one thing when they use a particular word but person B runs it through their own personal filter and receives it differently.

That's a really good point. In the north, everyone seems to use love, sweetie, chick. In the south it seems to be more Hun & darlin.

Duck. I live in Stoke and everybody seems to use it as every other word!
If people call me duck I will quack at them and then they look at me like I'm the weird one. Surely if I look like a duck I should quack like one too!

Back