Weight loss and affect on "cycle"

Emmylou1402

How do I put this? Oh, let's go for bluntly :8855:

I'm two weeks late. I have a coil fitted. I'm not pregnant (have POAS this evening :hmm:).

I've lost 11.5 lbs over the past five weeks (well, four really, STS last week), just under 5% of my bodyweight.

I still have a SIGNIFICANT amount of weight to lose...can a loss that seems relatively insignificant affect my periods to this point?

How long ago was the coil fitted? Is it a Mirena? That tends to dry your cycle up completely but can take a few months after fitting to really kick in. Can't imagine it's the weight loss. Check with family planning but it's almost certainly the coil if you are 100% sure that you aren't pregnant.

Coil was fitted (this time) last year. Is "Old Fashioned Copper" rather than Mirena as have MH issues that are exacerbated by progesterone (I was Proper Loopy when on the depo injections, but it took me 8 years to work that link out :sigh:).

Have managed to book myself in for a coil check on Monday lunchtime, so will mention it to the FP nurse then.

I'm 99% sure I'm not pregnant - had a negative test tonight, obviously if there's nothing by Monday then I'll check again then

Gaaaaaaaaaah! Sometimes I wish I was a boy :rolleyes:

As a "serial slimmer" who has been on and off diets since early teens, I'd say that your weight loss will have to be very quick and dramatic to have any effect on your periods. It is more likely that you are one of the lucky ones who's periods will taper off or stop completely with a coil...
Good that you have booked an appointment, always better to have professional opinion on these things!

I have a coil (Merena) and still get my full period every month :( Although while im dieting im very irregular and can be on for 2 weeks then have nothing for 6 lol

Thanks all. You've kinda said what I was thinking.

I'm definitely not pregnant, AF arrived today with a vengeance!

Last night, as a treat for getting to my stone, I went to Pizza Express. I had the crostini pomodoro (8.5 syns) and most of a leggere verdure pizza (25 ish). And have worked this into my syns for the week.

Obviously, AF was waiting for pizza. I've been "craving" it for a fortnight almost!

Must listen to my body next time

:) Well yay for it arriving. I have the Mirena fitted, and didnt have periods for ages, now i get very intermittent spotting but think thats more to do with the Endometriosis rather than the coil x

Back