Weight Loss when BREASTFEEDING?

the_nanny_uk2

Hi peeps,

Are there any others on here that are breastfeeding whilst dieting?

I joined SW 3wks ago and can only manage to lose 1lb each week. I was wondering if me feeding my 6mth old baby was stopping my body from giving up the fat??

I had been super good this week and not even used up all my syns each day but it seems to have not made any difference at all.

Jo x

the_nanny_uk2 said:
Hi peeps,

Are there any others on here that are breastfeeding whilst dieting?

I joined SW 3wks ago and can only manage to lose 1lb each week. I was wondering if me feeding my 6mth old baby was stopping my body from giving up the fat??

I had been super good this week and not even used up all my syns each day but it seems to have not made any difference at all.

Jo x

Hi Jo
I also am breastfeeding my 7 month old and have just started weaning, I have been doing slimming world since my boy was about a month old and I only lose pound a week too it's really disheartening especially as I have just had a week off and put on two on.
I don't know what it is, I have all my sins and normal a and b choices as need to keep these up as I am feeding another human being.
Vicky

upto 2 months = 3 extra
2-3 months = 4 extra
4-6 months = 3 extra (if weaning)
This needs to be updated from slimming world as its recomended to not to wean till 6+ months
4-6 months = 4 extra (if baby is NOT weaning)
Over 6 months = 1 extra (when weaning)

just remember that 'just' 1lb a week is 52lb in a year which will bring you real close to your target! It is a sensible weight loss especially as you are breastfeeding!

Divvy-my C just told me to have an extra A for the calcium as I'm bf. Dunno if that's right as didn't get any info about it. My baby is 6mths old now. I had lost a stone at SW this time last yr that jump started my body and I got preg! Lol.

I think every woman's body is different when it comes to breastfeeding and losing weight. Personally I didn't lose any weight until I stopped feeding (I did ww when my first born was 4 months old and had very slow loss). Others seem to lose lots, so I don't know, but I would be happy with 1lb a week loss it seems like a sensible amount when your body is doing its best to keep a healthy milk supply going.

Good luck! x

Hello! I started SW when my little man was 4 weeks old and exclusively bf. I found that if i didn't have all my HEs I wouldn't lose so much weight. But the weeks i had then ALL i had fab loses. In fact I'm finding it really hard to lose since i stopped feeding him at 6 months.
I always tried to bear in mind that feeding my baby was the most important thing. I could lose weight anytime, I tried to think of my diet as a healthy eating plan (which i do believe it is) rather tan restricting what i ate as he needed the calories, and it certainly worked for me.
I was given a booklet which had all the info listed above. Try upping your HEs and see how that goes.
Good luck, and very well done for keep up the Breastfeeding (i hope that doesn't sound patronizing! as a mum to a bottle and to a breastfed baby i think it is such a fantastic (and difficult) thing to do!)
Sarah x

I agree with you there Cat, I find it hard to lose weight whilst I'm breastfeeding. It just doesnt have that effect on me at all,lol. Wish it did, then it' just fall off me :rolleyes:

Sarah - Thank you for your words, yes breastfeeding is harder than everyone thinks. But we've worked at it and got through the hardest parts. I BF both my boys till they were 2yrs old and they are the healthiest most independant kids going. I'll try upping my HEX's this week to see if it makes a difference cos I hadnt been eating as much as I could. I actually lost 2lb at weigh in this Monday which I was chuffed about and will easily get my half stone award next week as I was only half a lb off it.

Thanks for your help ladies, much appreciated :)

Jo xx

p.s. how do I add the slimming world stickers to the bottom of my posts????

Hi, Im breastfeeding too....started SW after 6 week check and Joe is now 11 weeks. Have lost 6.5lb (would have been more but was naughty at bonfire party lol!) 1lb a week is good going, look at it this way, after 4 weeks, thats 4 lbs of fat off! Look at the blocks of butter next time you go shopping and you'll see its quite a bit really! :happy096:
When BF weight can fluctuate. It's a myth that the weight flies off....in some lucky people it does but it should'nt be marketed that way (some professionals do unfortunately!) Have you measured yourself....could be your losing inches, dont forget our boobies are that bit heavier storing and making milk at the moment!:giggle:

I'm losing,slowly,but I'm losing. My baby just turned 1 and only breasfeeds morning and bedtime now though.
From one BFing mummy to another I just wanna say well done :D I know it can be hard xx

Want to say well done too to all BF mummy's out there and well done on weight losses too!! With my first my weight did come off easily without SW but this time was soooo different so joined SW when he was about 7 weeks and have lost 1st 4lbs just another 6lbs to go to target woohoo!!! I average less than 2lbs per week so it seems slow but my LO is 21 weeks now and i feel so much better so keep at it we'll get there in the end xxx

I think we should start our own Breastfeeders Slimming Club! :))

Well done to you all on weight losses cos its not easy when your feeding babies and other children.

Jo x

Hi everyone

Hope you don't mind me crashing this thread?

I'm a bf mummy, I eat like a horse at the mo, but wrong stuff. I eat more now than I did during pregnancy!!

I need to lose weight cos I got 2 weddings early next year!

I heard that your supposed to lose weight quicker bfing but your saying it's a myth?!! Darn!!!!

Joining classes on Thursday, hoping oh will follow too as he is sporting a homer Simpson belly!!

Hi... not currently breast feeding but i am 28 weeks pregnant with baby no.2 and i ahve been following slimming world for 3 weeks and have lost 11lb... but thats cause i ate so much rubbish for the first 25 weeks.. oo and possibly geting caught pregant after 4 weeks after giving birth... & the 5 stone gaine from last pregnancy!!!!
I also have a daughter who is nearly 8 months old... down to problems during her labour i wasn't able to BF but i intend to with my lil' man due first of March... Got a while yet but i'd like to know how the plan changes etc once Bf'ing... Thanks in advance for any info :D xx

Hi you get extra Healthy extras

upto 2 months = 3 extra
2-3 months = 4 extra
4-6 months = 3 extra (if weaning)
4-6 months = 4 extra (if baby is NOT weaning)
Over 6 months = 1 extra (when weaning)

Well done for following plan xx

I'm hoping I can loose all my weight whilst breastfeeding or at least a big chunk of it. I followed SW early last year and loved it apart from I found restricting bread and cheese/milk hard.
I'm finding SW much easier and I'm much happier on it now I'm allowed the extra HE's for breastfeeding! I can't really judge on rate of weight loss yet because the first week I lost 4.5 lbs (but then first week is usually more) and this week I've lost 3/4lb but I've cheated lots, and also started exercising.
I do regret no starting SW untill I'd finished breastfeeding my first child... although I must admit I did like eating lots of choc and not putting on weight!

Back