Weight training on low calorie diet(PLEASE READ)

suraj

I have started to do weight training but am not sure if I am doing it right, I am doing 4.5kg dumbels each hand and do:
10 sets of fly's 16 lifts in each set
10 sets of bicep curls 16 lifts each set
3 sets of seated tricep extensions 10 lifts each set
5 sets of upright row 10 lifts each set

I am not very fat just have a bit of excess fat lying ontop of my muscles, I look very skinny in clothes but when im out of clothes I look flabby on my chest and a bit on my stomach.
Is this type of workout good I will slowly increase reps and weight or should I go for very heavy lifts and do like 3 reps.

Also anybody know any good exercises for abs? I have a little excess skin or maybee fat on my stomach, any exersices that I can do to loose that and get some abs?

My diet is a 1200 cal diet if I am not doing exercise, if I am am exercising I eat about 1400-1500 cals, I am 5 ft 10 male 18 years old weigh 135 lb need to tone up and look nice.

Also should I do HIIT or go for a long Jog? Should I do weight lifting and jogging on the same day? What sort of food should I eat before/after workout and jog and which order should I do them in for weight loss.

According to my BMI I should be eating 1200 cals when not exercising and 1400 when I am exercising.

I have started to do weight training but am not sure if I am doing it right, I am doing 4.5kg dumbels each hand and do:
10 sets of fly's 16 lifts in each set
10 sets of bicep curls 16 lifts each set
3 sets of seated tricep extensions 10 lifts each set
5 sets of upright row 10 lifts each set

Few reps with heavy weights tends to create muscle, more reps with lighter weights tends to give stamina. So it depends on what you're going for.

Also should I do HIIT or go for a long Jog? Should I do weight lifting and jogging on the same day? What sort of food should I eat before/after workout and jog and which order should I do them in for weight loss.

Mix it up! HIIT is good but long jogs are, too. The biggest thing is not to be stuck doing just one thing as that will help put you on a plateau.

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you can do but I've been recommended these two programs
Sean10mm's Fitness Blog: "Stripped" 5x5
Workout 1: Beginner, full-body :: stumptuous.com

Sadly there is no way to target specific areas and we all have our favourite fat storage places. Your best bet is to build up your muscle as the more muscle you have the higher your BMR. As for cardio it depends what you want to aim for but HIIT is probably going to do you better for toning and weight loss.

Hey

The rep range of 10 is absoloutly fine for building muscle. I have got quite heavily into my weight training lately and seen arguments over reps on a tonne of forums about ideal reps...overall id say anywhere between 5-12 reps is fine, the key is to go at it like you mean it and focus on working hard rather than the rep count.

The only thing i would say about the workout is.. the exercises listed are using very small muscles, you would get much better results if you can incorporate big exercises such as squat, deadlift, bench press etc.

If you dont have gym equipment, well push ups are a fab exercise (theres ways to make them harder or easier) and are something id definitely include.

EDIT

Regarding how often to train, diet and cardio

I wouldnt do cardio and weights on the same day myself as for food, well just keep it clean (complex carbs) and up your protein slightly...tuna is fab for a quick protein boost without the calories.

Last edited:
Back