What can you do with egg whites?

Vickki

Hi all,
I bought a big bag of frozen egg whites as Im trying not to have to much yolks but what can I do with them?
Tonight I made a omelette with ham, tomatoes, Chives, Onion, Garlic salt and a teaspoon of Extra Light philli but what else can I do??
Any suggestions would be good, Googlings no help apart from telling me to drink them like a body builder :eek:
Thanks for any advice
Vicki
xxxxxx

How lucky are you to be able to get frozen egg whites! (In the UK,we can find powdered ones, but they're just as expensive as buying normal eggs and throwing the yolks away).

If you've started making muffins/galettes etc., having extra egg white is always useful. Any recipe where you see use three or four eggs, you can cut down by one or two and just use egg white. You'd not notice.

Otherwise you can use them to make meringues (with powdered sweetener)...

Anything requiring aeration, like any of the cake recipes, could always use an extra egg white...

Were they very expensive?

Thanks Joanne,
Um they were about $6aus for nearly a kilo, They have to be used within a week, Have to say my tummy turns to look at them, I used to hate eggs!! It says on the packet not suitable for whipping so could I still do pavlova or meringues?
I saw the powdered eggs in the shop yesterday and thought it was very strange...LOL same price as the huge bag of whites.
xxxxxxx

Oh dear, if you can't whisk them then the meringues won't work. You can however use them for muffins/galettes in the place of one of the whole eggs...

Just one week sell by ain't great! Hopefully someone else will have an idea... (do they freeze?)

They are bought frozen thats the problem, Have to defrost in the fridge....... Maybe I could crack the frozen block and rebag it?? I couldnt handle that much eggs every week...LOL.
Hope theres some other ideas too, I was soooooooo wanting meringues too.
I have not tried the galettes yet but tried the oat bran cookies that turned out like something out of a horror movie but I did keep them and had them in yoghurt for the last 2 days.......
What are powdered eggs like?
xxxxxx

viki i would make the muffins yum yum yum they are good ,jo has the savory ones but i prefer the sweet ones !!!

I didn't like the look of the powdered ones when made up. And, as I said, the price is higher than buying real eggs and throwing the yolks!

Most of us found our first tasting of oatbran anything disgusting... but, trust us, it improves! And now I'd not be without it. Check out the recipe thread... my muffins are there! Actually here's a link:
http://www.minimins.com/dukan-diet/150962-dukan-recipe-thread.html

You could make muffins then freeze them

I love the taste and feel of oatbran, Just had cookies that were like rocks..LOL.
Im finding it hard to get non-fat fromage frais and quark over here, We can get 99% FF FFrais but it has fruit added on top of it and Quark I get strange looks when I ask for it, Can we use the 99% FF FFrais do you think if I took the fruit off the top? and Im sure I saw somewhere how to make Quark but cant find it now (Typical) xxxxx
Will have to make these great muffins!! and freezing them is a great idea for my lazy days......

That sounds like the best option Vicki (to dump the fruit). What % fat fromage frais/blanc can you find? I don't think I can get quark here either. Can you find cottage cheese?

I make 4 days' muffins at a time and freeze... always useful!

I'd make lots of Dukan cakes/muffins, both sweet and savoury and freeze them. Shame you can't have the meringue, that would have been my first idea with stewed rhubarb and toasted under the grill. (I'm going rhubarb-crazy since Jo kindly pointed out that I could buy it frozen;)).

I have never everever tasted rhubarb...

I love the taste and feel of oatbran, Just had cookies that were like rocks..LOL.
Im finding it hard to get non-fat fromage frais and quark over here, We can get 99% FF FFrais but it has fruit added on top of it and Quark I get strange looks when I ask for it, Can we use the 99% FF FFrais do you think if I took the fruit off the top? and Im sure I saw somewhere how to make Quark but cant find it now (Typical) xxxxx
Will have to make these great muffins!! and freezing them is a great idea for my lazy days......

hey vikki im from australia too and i use fat free greek yogurt, the extra light philly and no fat riccotta cheese. For sweet yogurts i use forme and dairy farmers have a fat free and 60% less sugar range which is just as low in carbs and delicious. The cherry cheesecake is my new best friend:D

Back