What do you do when your muscles ache?

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by cateka, 26 May 2009 Social URL.

1. cateka

cateka Full Member

Start Weight:
    8st7lb
    Current Weight:
    7st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(11.76%)
    Its really annoying, this has happened a couple of times, especially when cycling; the energy is all there but my muscles begin to ache, especially the ones around the upper thigh and hips.

Its irritating because normally the other way round, as in my muscles are up for it but I have no energy. Its difficult enough to gather up the energy to do endurance exercise.

I streach properly before and after exercise, focusing on my hips which seem to be the problem area. A lot of marathon runners have told me about special muscles lubes you can buy to rub into your legs, but I don't exactly want to get my hips/thighs out in the gym, it would be embarrassing and it would fragment my workout (remember; endurance).

Surely I don't need these extremes for an hour and a half of cardio anyway? So, is there anything I can do about it or is it really just a matter of pushing through?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. debsue

debsue Member

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(18.32%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi

Only stretch when you muscles are warm therefore only after exercising, and always warm up first. Can I ask you why do you want a BMI of 15? That is really unhealthy, perhaps your muscles ache because you are not taking in enough calories and then you are burning muscle when you exercise, just a thought. x

4. Radiantpaper

Radiantpaper New Member

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Do try warm up and cool downs.

5. lydia150970

lydia150970 Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Diet:
    SW
    Warm up before exercise and then a good 10-15 mins stretch afterwards should help ease any achings but I do have to say if your statistics are correct you are already very slim?

6. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    Enjoy it! The buildup of lactic acid which causes muscle ache means you've had a good workout!

7. trimlee

trimlee Love God; Love People

Start Weight:
    13st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(8.24%)
    Diet:
    Healthy eating!
    Hi Cateka,
    I am concerned that your health may be at risk. Your BMI is already in the underweight range and your goal BMI is anorexic. Your muscular aches could be becoming pathological not physiological. Please by all means aim to stay healthy :)

8. Justin

Justin Banned

Debsue hit the nail on the head I think. Your muscles aching after exercise usually means they are caling out for nutrients. They need more carbs / protein to recover. If they don't get these nutrients, the muscles won't recover. If they don't recover they won't be stronger or fitter. If they don't get fitter, you won't burn as many calories when you exercise.

Bottom line, make sure you're getting enough protein to help your muscles recover.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.