What do you want for Christmas

Thats SO spooky I've just looked at that & am now looking at the satnag!

My friend taught me years ago to put reds in the fridge 10 minutes before serving, and to take whites out of the fridge ten minutes before serving. Looks like things may be slightly more complicated that that these days!

for the record hoping not to find a man in my stocking for christmas ! now a woman diffrent matter :)

I'm starting to get a bit worried about eating over Christmas - all those temptations!

I've just been dribbling at an ad showing crispy potatoes, chocolate truffles and mince pies with cointreau cream (sorry!).

It's so hard not to give in to the "It's Christmas - you deserve a treat" kind of thinking :eek:

Any tips for staying strong?

Susie

Last year my plan was alternate days, if I let go one day I was super good (shakes and stuff only) the day after as I was still in the middle of my Exante roadtrip.............and it worked for me. Am planning something similar this year, hoping to confuse my body enough that it will lose weight instead lol (some hope). And lets face it, on Atkins you can have lots of nice food, just go easy on the carbs and don't end up face down in the crimbo pudding!

I'm starting to get a bit worried about eating over Christmas - all those temptations!

I've just been dribbling at an ad showing crispy potatoes, chocolate truffles and mince pies with cointreau cream (sorry!).

It's so hard not to give in to the "It's Christmas - you deserve a treat" kind of thinking :eek:

Any tips for staying strong?

Susie

I was thinking about this too. I'm hoping to get some really nice cuts of meat in, have some really delicious meats in the fridge that I can pick at when I'm feeling weak! Know what you mean though...roast potatoes!!!

Is egg nog nice? I've never had it before. Hope this isn't a silly question, but does it taste of...egg?

Might have to stick to vodka otherwise!

LOL Michael - yup it's very eggy, sorry if that's not to your taste :)

On the crispy potato front, I was just thinking I could try making mashed cauliflour and binding with egg, then frying like round rissoles - what do you think?

Now I just need to find low carb alternatives to christmas pud and pastry :)

I'm going to keep googling for low carb yummy things and will post here if that's cool with everyone :)

LOW-CARB RUM BALLS
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons powdered erythritol (a sugar alcohol)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons rum
1/2 cup Splenda granular

Mix all dry ingredients together in bowl. Add vanilla and liquor. If the artifical sweetener is liquid and concentrated, add it to the liquor. Add the liquid slowly and mix until it all comes together. Roll into 1 inch size balls.

The flavors will mellow over the next few days. Store in refrigerator or cool place. Carbs will depend on the serving size. 17 rum balls will get you exactly 1 gram of effective carbohydrate per ball.

You can also add
rosewater and almond extract for different flavours.

Note - not sure why you need
erythritol? It's hard to get here, and expensive. Found Perfect Sweet which is made of xylitol at Holland and Barrett -
Holland and Barrett - Perfect Sweet Sugar Substitute

Bleurgh! Might have to give it a miss then. Means more for everyone else though!

I've yet to try cauli mash so I'm probably not the best person to ask but sounds good in principle! I've read on other forums on this board that new potatoes are a good (as in not as carby) alternative.

Now just need to work out something to replace roast parsnips! Drooooooool!

Here's a link to low carb Christmas pud - beyond my meagre skills!

Posted on another forum a few years ago -

"I made Robert's Christmas pudding last year which was good and eaten without complaints by my highcarb family.
Robert’s Low-carb Black Forest Fruits Christmas Pudding. : Sweet treats Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

"Though the recipe made more than I had assumed (1 large and 4 small puddings so I will make half the amount this year. I used goji berries instead of the forest fruits he suggested (which I had soaked in davinci sugarfree syrup) to imitate raisins."

Mince pies
You can get Meridian mince pie filling - can't find the carb content though!

The same forum person above posted this recipe for the pastry filling -

"Equal quantities of:

Protein Isolate
Ground Almonds
Wheat Gluten
With an equal tbsp measure of sunflower oil (ie 2 oz each flour + 2tbsp oil) & some salt
Splenda to taste

Mix in a bowl and add cold water until the mixture comes together into a ball.
Knead lightly and refrigerate for at least 30 mins
Roll out and line your tin (it may break up but that is no problem as you can simply press it out in the tin).

Bake as per whatever recipe you are using.

Leave out the splenda and use olive oil instead of sunflower oil to make a savoury pastry."

OMG I'm having so much fun with this :D

Back