Why do my ankles hurt?

Just Peachy

Slowly But Surely
I've noticed that over the past week, my ankles are really sensitive and if they sort of bump into anything, it's quite painful. It hasn't kept me from running still but I've decided to give it a few days rest.

I've got good shoes and I've just been running. Is it because I'm not used to doing this much running all of a sudden? I seem to be stretching properly too.. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what could be causing this.

Any ideas? Thankies :)

Can't help with the ankles sorry but my knees really started aching when running on the treadmill. I spoke to a fc at the cym and he recommended I go on the cross trainer until I was fitter as it is more supportive of the joints.
Running is apparantly really easy to do incorrectly and can lead to joint pain. Road running is the worst. Obviously it's fine if you're a super fitty - I'm not!
Do you run in a club or at a gym? If so there may be someone there who can suggest an alternative or some ankle strength exercises/stretches.
Good luck :) x

You should really avoid running at all costs if you are overweight. It's not good for your joints and there are loads of other exercises you can do like cycling or crosstrainer which both work just as good.

Yeah, it seemed to be ok so I tried to run on it and outside (what was I thinking) and I completely sprained it. Slipped on an icy patch and everything, not too pleasant. I'm pretty much confined home now.

Koala-I hear what you're saying, but I can't afford anything else really and it's my stress relief fixer. Not a big fan of much else really. I do like team sports but don't have time for the meet ups as I'm a student. For now I've decided to count calories which really annoys me but I haven't found a better solution. Suggestions?

Why not just walk briskly? I walk at a speed of 4.5mph (more than a lot of people run!) and a personal trainer reckons the speed/way I walk (outside, not on a treadmill) burns more calories and gives me a better workout than running would without putting pressure on my joints. Maybe try that when your ankle's feeling better?

Hey Peachy.... Quickly flipped through my running book for you!

Painful ankles are common in first time runners. First, double check you do have the right trainer for your foot type. A simple test is to take a shower and place your wet feet onto the towel if you have...

A broken in half partial foot print (high arches) - You need a NEUTRAL CUSHIONED shoe.

A partial foot print (the bridge of the outside of the foot but not the full foot) - This is the most common. You need a STABILITY shoe.

A full footprint (Flat foot) - You need a MOTION CONTROL shoe.

If that's all good, it could be down to the incredibly cold weather. Try warming up a bit more before you run, invest in good quality socks, and use a heat pad on your ankles in the evening. Go gently in cold weather as you're also having to work a little bit harder to avoid slipping. Taking calcium and omega oils may help lessen risk of injury but if they begin to hurt when you are running, be safe and stop! Hope this helps.

Yeah, I guess just walking is an option but I don't find it satisfying. To me, dieting and exercising go hand in hand and now that I can't do one part, it's hard to focus on the other part. Feeling quite bummed out about not being able to do anything so it seems to be easy to be eating right now. I'm trying my best but... yeah. When I'm back on my feet (literally and metaphorically) I'll step back on the scales, be unhappy and do something about it.

KookieDoh, thanks for that. I have high arched feet and have the right shoes. I think it's just that I hadn't ran outside yet, and then I did and the ice and everything so that wasn't a good idea. I'm also prone to ankle injuries so... it sucks! I really love it but can't seem to do it. Oh well, I'll let it heal for now, can't do much else really.

Thanks guys.

So you don't consider walking at 4.5mph exercising? Ah well.
Good luck with your running, & I hope your ankle heals soon.

So you don't consider walking at 4.5mph exercising? Ah well.
Good luck with your running, & I hope your ankle heals soon.

I would, I've never tried it though I think I'd feel a bit silly. It's still gonna be a little while before I can do exercise again so just trying to be patient right now.

Actually the latest research shows that running (within reason) is not particularly detrimental to the hips and knees. Contrary to what we've been led to believe for years) It is important tho to make sure you're not over pronating. You could just need corrective insoles from a podiatrist. Your GP should be able to refer you.

Actually the latest research shows that running (within reason) is not particularly detrimental to the hips and knees. Contrary to what we've been led to believe for years) It is important tho to make sure you're not over pronating. You could just need corrective insoles from a podiatrist. Your GP should be able to refer you.

What's over pronating?

You're right, I might need insoles. My feet are very wide and arched, it's difficult to find shoes but the ones I have are fitted I'm pretty sure.

Right, I don't think that's my problem; my high are arched and I use up the outsides of my shoes. Anyway, managed to walk to the theatre tonight to see this play which had been planned for a while and it wasn't so bad. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I've taken my diet much more seriously today so good times.

glad to know that you're looking on the bright side.
I dont have a problemw with my ankles but my poor knees hurt like hell when exercising so know how you're feeling :(

Thanks Tasha :)

Yeah it's a pain when you're trying to do something for your body's own good but your body won't let you do it. How stupidly ironic is that.

Back