Worried about daughters speech

big bear

A bear on a mission!
My daughter is 16mths & only babbles & says 'mama, dada & yes'

My son was saying lots of words when he was 1.

I know all children are different but should I be worried yet?

I talk/read to her & her big bro talks away to her.

She also just started walking so maybe she's just a late developer...

What do you think? Xx

No, I wouldn't worry at all. I have no children but I did study Linguistics and there is evidence to suggest the later the talker the more intelligent the speech patterns will be.

I only spoke gobbledook til I went to school. It got better after that but I'm 28 now and still not making much more sense :D

What do you think? Xx

I think 1. never compare children, you'll only be freaked out or disappointed lol! and 2. she's perfectly within normal parameters. honestly. when she starts preschool you will see such a difference in her speech patterns, no matter what age she is.
3. *hugs* being a parent is hard.

Thanks you've put my mind at rest...xxx

big bear said:

What do you think? Xx

Definitely not BB

I has 2 girls, ones 7 & ones 2.

My eldest talked from about 8 months, and didn't walk until about 18 months.

My second walked two weeks before her first birthday and didn't say a word until about 18 months.

She was 2 in October and honestly to god never shuts up now! Even people have commented on how quick her speech has come on and how good it is for her age etc.

Sorry for that ramble and my life story lol

What I was trying to say was all kids are different and some are slower than others. It is normal x

I work with children 0-5 years and I agree, there's nothing to worry about. Some take a little longer than others but it even doesn't sound particularly late to me :)

My little dude was saying random things at about 12-15 months. Even up to 22 months he couldn't communicate properly! He got mad if you didn't understand him.

Literally he changed nursery room and went in with the 3 n 4 year olds then magically overnight his speech has become awesome!! This was at around 24-25 months and he's now 29 months.

It's not always 100% clear but some words are clear as ever! Like 'mummy don't do that'. He could never say his name now he can.

Really don't worry coz I thought J would never talk but bugger me he doesn't shut up now!!

Oh yeah and he's picked up the words 'f-in hell' from his father! So if he gets so angry he repeats it! Since that's not a phrase I use I am highly unimpressed!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

My daughter was exactly the same. I was worried, saw the health visitor and We were referred to went speech therapy (which was a complete waste of time). But she has just started talking more each day, and she turned 2 today :) children will talk when they are ready so please dont worry OP :-D xxx

Second children are notorious for not speaking as early as the first.

My Dort was a chatterbox but wouldn't walk till 13months, my son walked at 8 months but hardly said actors you could understand I took him for a hearing test and the health visitor told me before she tested him that he was fine, his vocabulary was so huge he couldn't pronounce properly! He still has a huge vocabulary!

Try reading the same story to her every night, get her to say the words with you make it a game. At first she may only say one word but that will increase xxxx

I wouldn't worry BB, she is still quite young & She has her big brother to say everything she wants said no doubt.

Back