Wow - fab doner kebab recipe, tastes like the real thing!!!

I don't have any cayenne pepper, will paprika do as it's only 1/4 teaspoon??

I am making this for Wednesday nights tea and I'm so excited!! Am going to use extra lean beef mince as I also can't find lean lamb mince anywhere down here in Cornwall!!

go to a butchers and buy some lean cuts of lamb and ask him to mince it for you ( or just bung them in the blender at home and pulse it until you get a smoothe paste.... )

got mine in the oven as I type.. will take some for dinner tomorrow.. gotta stop and buy a pitta on the way I suppose.. :(

That's a good idea will try the butchers! Thankyou x

yum, tastes just like the real thing, even with the substitution of paprika for cayenne pepper.. .. maybe a tad salty so half a teaspoon of salt would be better?

hard to carve though, you'll need a serrated knife or an electric knife to slice it.. ( or maybe a meat slicer if you happened to have one..)

gonnabesmall said:
looks yummylisious,does it still taste like kebab if using minced beef?

I personally don't think it does. Lamb has a very distinct flavour, but it'll still be nice with beef. If you're wanting to fill a kebab shaped hole in your life, I'd definitely go for lamb for the ultimate experience, haha x

I always make it with lean minced beef - I also don't bother with the flour anymore to save on syns (makes no difference what so ever!!) & i actually add abit more cayanne pepper to make it slightly more spicey!

Another thing I do - I have reduced the cooking time & found that it makes it more moist, seems the longer its cooked it gets dry.

An absolute favorite in my house though :D

I hunted high and low for the lamb
and no butcher's either ( due to abundance of flipping Supermarkets )
So resorted to Tesco's extra lean lamb steaks, which I cubed and put in the Bamix machine with the other stuff omitting the flour and pulsed it on high to within an inch of it's life lol worked a treat :D now resting in fridge ready to be cooked tomorrow

clairew said:
as this last night amazing with sw chips and syn free coleslaw xxxx

Can I have the recipe for syn free coleslaw please??

Cheers
Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ocado (waitrose) sell lean lamb mince. Will be ordering some . A bit naive here but what is garlic and onion powder - is it the same as garlic salt and onion salt?

Kx

Kwise1 said:
Ocado (waitrose) sell lean lamb mince. Will be ordering some . A bit naive here but what is garlic and onion powder - is it the same as garlic salt and onion salt?

Kx

I used onion and garlic granules you can get them in jars like you do spices.

Kwise1 said:
Can I have the recipe for syn free coleslaw please??

Cheers
Kx

Coleslaw

2 Carrots peeled and coarsely grated
1/4 White cabbage grated
4 Level tbsp ex-light mayo
Juice of one lemon
2 Tbsp fat free natural fromage frais

Mix ingredients together season and chill until needed serves 4

Is it 1 syn per serving?

Back