Wow - fab doner kebab recipe, tastes like the real thing!!!

sounds great going to make it tomorrow :O)

I made the kebabs tonight......fantastic!!!!

So pleased everyones loving the recipe - its defiantly worth trying if you haven't done already :)

I make the mix into meatballs & burgers too - I could eat it every night for sure & not get fed up of it! lol

Yum yum yum - thanks so much for posting - think I might give a whirl and see if OH can tell hehe :) :) :)

Made this again tonight for tea.......NOM! Made it with beef and was still as good though OH prefers lamb! This will be a weekly tea and now renamed......'i can't believe its not a fat kebeb'..........like the idea of meatballs, handy on a red day for snacking!

I have made these several times now. Have adjusted the recipe each time adding different herbs and spices and all are good. My husband has started making them for himself with normal lamb mince and loves them, I can't get lean lamb mince so have been using extra lean beef mince.
One thing I can say is that the flour is absolutely not necessary, it tastes no different either way and holds together equally well without.
I have got another in the oven tonight but this time using turkey mince as a bit of an experiment. I have no idea how it will turn out so will let you know. It felt more sticky that the beef mixture so keeping my finger crossed...

Josiecat said:
I have made these several times now. Have adjusted the recipe each time adding different herbs and spices and all are good. My husband has started making them for himself with normal lamb mince and loves them, I can't get lean lamb mince so have been using extra lean beef mince.
One thing I can say is that the flour is absolutely not necessary, it tastes no different either way and holds together equally well without.
I have got another in the oven tonight but this time using turkey mince as a bit of an experiment. I have no idea how it will turn out so will let you know. It felt more sticky that the beef mixture so keeping my finger crossed...

Ahhh we have just finished eating one with turkey mince nom nom !!! Oh thinks its lamb he dosent like turkey and says he will have it again lol !!! My nose has grown a little Delish :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

LOL - I'm going to try the turkey version. My OH is very sniffy about turkey mince because it's cheap, so it may be a good way to sneak a cheapy meal in!!

Going to make some tomorrow so that we can have it on Wed, as I'm out at Tap class, and OH is at German lesson. It'll be nice and quick and easy to put together when we come home ravernous.

Lucky7 said:
LOL - I'm going to try the turkey version. My OH is very sniffy about turkey mince because it's cheap, so it may be a good way to sneak a cheapy meal in!!

Going to make some tomorrow so that we can have it on Wed, as I'm out at Tap class, and OH is at German lesson. It'll be nice and quick and easy to put together when we come home ravernous.[/QUOTE= used turkey as you can't get ex lean lamb anywhere it's all gone lol good luck :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi well I had the turkey one, when I tasted the meat alone after it came out of the oven I thought it tasted a bit sweet and not too kebab like.
But once it was in the pitta with chilli sauce and garlic/salad, it was nicer. But I defo prefer the beef.
The ones my husb make with normal lamb are delish but unfortunately I can't have them!!

Josiecat said:
Hi well I had the turkey one, when I tasted the meat alone after it came out of the oven I thought it tasted a bit sweet and not too kebab like.
But once it was in the pitta with chilli sauce and garlic/salad, it was nicer. But I defo prefer the beef.
The ones my husb make with normal lamb are delish but unfortunately I can't have them!!

Why don't you use Lean lamb mince then-would reduce the syns

Finally found some Lean Lamb mince to make a batch ready for Friday night kebab (in Tesco) - made the mistake of 'testing' it once it was cooked. Think it'll be a smaller kebab than previous ones when Friday night comes round.

I did really like the extra lean beef version, but the lean lamb is amazing.

I haven't found any lean lamb mince anywhere :confused: must be just cornwall or something!!

I had it again tonight, using extra lean mince beef again this time. Defo my finest one to date hehe. I put a tbs of ketchup in with the mixture and the juice of half a lemon. I added freshly crushed garlic to the mixture as well as all the normal herbs and spices.
I also cooked it in a casserole dish without the lid rather than on a baking tray.
The meat was much more tender and less dry and it was delicious. My husband even said it was it was my best to date! thought I'd have some left for tomorrow but he polished it off :p

Im from leeds and can't find lean lamb anywhere :( does anyone know where i could get some? x

Having this again tonight. We're doing a mixed kebab with lamb and marinated chicken this time and have made a garlic mayo, chilli sauce and a nice mint dressing for the salad. I'm well excited *drool*

pesty said:
well i didnt make doner kebab i made a chicken one which was AMAZING!!

But i wanted to inform how i made the garlic sauce as it was brrrrrilliant!!

I just mixed 5 tbs of vlf yoghurt with the juice of 1/2 a small lemon, 2 garlic cloves (crushed and chopped into tiny pieces), 1 tbsp light mayo (2 syns) and season with salt and pepper!

I added a few tbsps of water to make it runny like my local kebab shop!!

Its served 3 so far and there's plenty left so its 0.5 syn per serving!! xx

I used this method for the garlic mayo from pesty by the way, and it tastes fab. Really authentic. Thanks for sharing!

Back