You won't suit being thin!

I think it has to do with people's mental image of you. I remember a while ago one of my friends from high school that was always on the bigger side lost a ton of weight and was at a healthy weight the next time I saw her. My first thought was "omg she's too thin!" but that was simply because she didn't look anything like my metal picture of her. Once I got used to it, she's very healthy and my image has evolved. There are just some people that you associated with being curvy I think. But yeah - those are just things you don't say out loud.

It's their perception problem - I was told not to turn sideways as "we won't be able to see you". I was size 16 at the time :rolleyes:
although xKimmiex's quote from the GP:
YESSSS SAME HERE!! even the doc said if never be 12stone?!!
would make me even more determined to get there and march into the office to show him/her that I was. What a cheek. That would really demotivate some people, hope you haven't taken a scrap of notice

Someone told me I wouldn't be right if I wasn't "cuddly"! How bloomin rude- spurred me on anyway :)

Isn't it the most bizarre thing. I've been big and I've been slim, my personality doesn't change, only my weight. However when I'm big everyone loves me, I'm bubbly, I'm the life and soul of the party and everyone's best friend. When I'm slim, I love myself, I'm a flirt, a slapper, you get the picture. It's ok to be have a pretty face when you're big but put that pretty face with a slim body and suddenly you're a she devil. :mad:

Personally I think everyone likes having a fat friend. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves somehow.

Not received a comment like that as yet, not sure how I would react to it either! Some people are odd - clearly we are all doing something about our weight to look and feel better about ourselves, so I don't see why anyone would say such a thing when you are making such positive changes to your health.

I say ignore the comment and carry on as you are! ;)

Hugs x x x

iv have just text my sister saying
"yay iv lost 22inches altogether"

And i got
"god theres going to be nowt left of you soon".. So i replied "iv still got 8nhalf st to go lol" and got back "Seriously kim, dont lose 8stone.. You will look ill, im your sis listen to me" What the hel?! there still will be 12st left of me lol

what is it with other people!! as long as your happy with your body

This is the second time round on CD for me, the first time I got to 11st 7lbs. So many people told me the diet was crazy and dangerous, but I think the majority of them were waiting for me to fail at yet another diet and were gobsmacked when I lost over 72lbs and got down to my target.

Unfortunately I let some of the weight creep back on. This time round I've got 2st to go to get to my target, and the comments have started again, mostly it's that I look fine as I am, and should do a sensible diet like Weight Watchers.

No thanks, I'm doing CD, it works for me, none of the other "sensible" diets do. I lose motivation because then weight doesn't come off fast enough. So I've just told people to keep their comments to themselves if they can't be supportive - that shocked them!!

Presenting a slightly different view here.
I saw a friend yesterday that I haven't seen since beginning of January. She has lost 2 stones on Slimming World (over a few months) - I have never seen her look so pretty, she was wearing lovely clothes and jewellery with her hair up etc. I can understand how other people might say to her that she looks fine now and her style of artful dressing had created a very slimline profile, but the truth is that my friend has another 3 stones to lose to have a healthy BMI of 24:9. As a fellow dieter I am encouraging her to lose that 3 stones. Maybe some of the people that tell us that we don't need to lose weight (when obviously we do) have their own 'altered perception' of what we truly look like?!

My mum keeps going on about this. She keeps telling me I have a big bone structure and my top half is bigger than hers and blah blah blah.

She's starting to wear me down, where I feel I'll give up just so she'll shut up and leave me alone.

I don't want to a size 8 like her. I'm not sure I want to be a size 10. I have an hour glass figure, so I know I'm meant to have curves. I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not.

I just wish she'd leave me alone.

what i think is, we will get to a weight, may it be our target, or 2 stone about it

look in the mirror and think f**k i look amazing i don't wanna loose anymore weight

i am aiming to be a size ten, and i think thats a bit too thin for me as i think i'll suit a 12 due to my curves. but it gives me room for error

I really think it's people being threatened in some way that someone is on a diet. Perhaps they are affraid that you'll be prettier then them or perhaps it's jealousy of you achieving something big and taking action about your own life. It pisses me off when I hear people say things like that.

It's frustrating, I've got no support at all from my friends. One has even said she's sick of me being on this 'stupid' diet, I'm no fun anymore. That's because I don't drink or go out for meals anymore. It's a real struggle trying to do this entirely on my own with only the support being from my lovely CDC, but I'm sure the whole experience will make me stronger. And I'm determined to prove a point now!!

It's frustrating, I've got no support at all from my friends. One has even said she's sick of me being on this 'stupid' diet, I'm no fun anymore. That's because I don't drink or go out for meals anymore. It's a real struggle trying to do this entirely on my own with only the support being from my lovely CDC, but I'm sure the whole experience will make me stronger. And I'm determined to prove a point now!!

I don't want to judge your friend, but if one of my friends would say that to me, they wouldn't be my friend any more. Why is she making you feel horrible when she should be supporting you?

Hi there.

I can't hear it enough especially from my boss. I hate it because she's all skin and bones and really complained about her weight gain when she was pregnant...I find that really offensive when people make that kind of comment...But not to worry, it's her problem not mine...

YESSSS SAME HERE!! even the doc said if never be 12stone?!! wtf obv i was once lol.my sister keeps telling me il look ill if im skinny?!! im 5ft8 and a size 22 atm, would love to be a 12, it does my head in... ALSO when people say "aint that diet stupid, no idea how you do it" thats because u dont know how being 23st feels!

I so agree with that!!!
To be honest I think it's always the "slim ones" that say things like that...they should give you a pat on the back and say well done for doing something about it!
I think they will worry you'l take even more of the focus off of them when you look even better than you do now!!
x x x x

I don't want to judge your friend, but if one of my friends would say that to me, they wouldn't be my friend any more. Why is she making you feel horrible when she should be supporting you?

To be fair to her, (which is probably more than she deserves) she's probably sick of hearing me moan about feeling fat and frumpy (she's never had a weight prob so doesn't understand). And I don't know why I put up with it to be honest. I know she feels threatened by me because I'm younger than she is which is just silly.

A lass where I work came out with , "I put on 6 pound when i was on holiday and I lost it ok, why do fat people make a fuss about dieting it can't be that hard if I can do it" the whole room just sat in silence there are 4 of us larger ladies in there who are trying to shed the pounds, talk about insensitive.
I really can't get over some people, i would much rather be a little curvy than paranoid that I am not under my ideal weight.

A lass where I work came out with , "I put on 6 pound when i was on holiday and I lost it ok, why do fat people make a fuss about dieting it can't be that hard if I can do it" the whole room just sat in silence there are 4 of us larger ladies in there who are trying to shed the pounds, talk about insensitive.
I really can't get over some people, i would much rather be a little curvy than paranoid that I am not under my ideal weight.

I totally agree, I know a girl who lives her life in fear of putting on a couple of lbs. She's a size 10, always has been. When she was pregnant she obsessed constantly about her weight (all baby I should say). I'd hate to become that person, to be THAT paranoid and miserable about a non-existant weight problem. It's bad enough being paranoid and miserable about a real weight problem :p.

I think people should be more careful what they say, and look around before they make hurtful comments about weight. I work in a very female dominated environment where weight and aging is the constant topic of discussion. Sometimes I cringe when they talk about being fat, because I'm still one of the fatter ones :sigh: and they often forget just how fat I used to be and that the 'fattist' comments still cut deep.

I agree with being sick of the comments about this diet, the office motor mouth sits just by me and says that she went to her doctor who told her to not go on the Cambridge Diet (Weight Plan now sorry!!) under any circumstances as it was dangerous, my response was that he didn't know what he was talking about and the diet had probably been around for longer than he had been practising. The other type of annoying people are the ones who say - you just need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight...really!!! Oh My God - You're a genius, why is there a muti billion dieting industry when it's thats easy... You should market that idea and make millions from it.

I think I had the ultimate comment made the other day - "You're doing so well on your diet, you'll look fab once you've lost your weight, you're far too pretty to that big" - it left me wondering if I had been complimented or just recieved the biggest insult, lol

Back