Your hair could fall out - be warned!!

shazzy1970

AFTER COMING OFF CD 5 WEEKS AGO MY HAIR HAS FALLEN OUT BIG TIME. I NOW DISCOVER THIS IS A COMMON SIDE EFFECT BUT NOBODY WARNED ME AT THE START. I AM DELIGHTED WITH MY WEIGHT LOSS AND FOUND THE DIET GREAT BUT I REALLY THINK ITS IMPORTANT THAT EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THIS WILL PROBABLY HAPPEN. EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP MY PILLOW IS COVERED IN HAIR - ITS A BIT DISTRESSING ACTUALLY. I HAVE - WELL ACTUALLY HAD - LONG HAIR BUT IT WAS GETTING REALLY THIN DUE TO SUCH A GREAT LOSS OF HAIR. i WAS AT THE HAIRDRESSER TODAY AND SHE SAID NOTHING ELSE FOR IT - IT HAD TO GET CHOPPED. SO IT HAS WENT FROM WELL PAST MY SHOULDERS TO JUST BELOW MY EARS!!:eek: I MUST SAY I LOVE IT AND PROBABLY SUIT IT BETTER SHORTER BUT ANYONE WITH FLOWING LOCKS THAT HATES THEIR HAIR SHORT PLEASE BE PREPARED!!

Last edited:
Fantastic! CD helped you with your weightloss and gave you a new hairstyle that you probably wouldn't have been brave enough to try if it wasn't falling out!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The Cambridge diet is FAB XX

Every cloud really does have a silver lining!

Not everyone loses the hair on weight loss but if you are so inclined then it will happen regardless of diet.

It is very much like the way you lose hair after you had a baby but it all grows back, usually better than ever as I have found.

Enjoy your new hair style!

Weight Loss, Hair Loss and Low Carb by Lisa Shea Weight Loss, Hair Loss and Low Carb - Low Carb

In ANY weight loss program that you follow, hair loss often occurs at the same time. This is a natural result and the hair will grow back in once you reach your target weight. Often the hair is even thicker than before!

In fact, compared to other diets, the low carb diet is BEST for your hair. Three key vitamins to take to help your hair are protein, iron and zinc - and these are in high supply on a low carb diet. Note that these vitamins will not STOP the temporary hair loss while you diet. The hair loss is a normal part of your body's reaction to losing the weight. However it will help the hair grow in more fully when you have reached your target.

Two things that impede hair growth are an excess of Vitamin A, and stress. So a way to reduce the hair loss situation is to find ways to relax in your life, and to make sure that your vitamin A intake is not overabundant.

First, It's good to note that a hair doesn't simply grow forever. Each hair on your head grows for 4-5 years, then falls out. So your hair is always renewing itself. The long growth stage is called anagen and the short stopping phase that follows is called catagen. Then the hair falls out, which is telogen. The hair follicle then goes back into anagen and makes a long hair for the next 4-5 yaers.

What happens during weight loss is Telogen effluvium. It also happens after any stress to the body. Some of your hair follicles go into catagen to conserve body resources. So the hairs stop growing and "rest". Once your body feels safe again, those hairs go back into anagen - but because there was the pause in the middle, the brand new growing hair pushes the old hair out of the follicle. So in reality you have just as much hair as you did before - and it's probably far healthier hair. But the new hairs are short :)

Normally around 10% of your head of hair is in the catagen or telogen phase, in essence resetting itself to prepare for new hair to grow in. Because you have so much hair on your head, you don't even notice. During weight loss that percentage gets higher, but this is only temporary. Your body starts creating new hair in its normal cycle once it settles into a healthy weight and those hairs start growing again. Remember that hair doesn't reach a long state overnight! So all those new, healthy hairs need time to grow out to whatever length of hair you have chosen.

Usually it takes 6 months for your head of hair to have grown back out to typical fullness. Hair grows around 1/2" per month, so at the 6 month mark, the hair is around 3" long which is enough to seem thick on most heads. Again, it's not that the hair is MISSING during this intermediate time. It's just that it is brand new and growing from scratch

i dont wanna lose my hair - i'm scared!! x

Not everybody loses lots of hair. I came off CD three weeks ago and mine has been fine so far. I have to say the hair loss thing is probably about the first "side effect" I found when I researched CD before starting. It is, I'd say, fairly common knowledge.

Last time i did CD, i started to lose abit of hair at the point when i lost just over 3 stones. But i can gurantee you that it wasn't loads and that it does grow back. I have a head full of hair and its grown down past my breasts.

But if you're really worried about losing hair you could could try a shampoo bar that i used from Lush. I think its called the Cinnimon bar and its meant to be very good as its been used by chemo patients with good results. I posted about this year ago, so you might be able to find the thread if you search it.

But as Mini mentioned, you lose hair on every diet that you do. I have experience of this, espcially when i was in my teens and i never used to eat to lose weight.

So dont worry too much about it xx

GUYS please do not worry about this, it happen's to some people not all, it can happen from many diet's not just cd, a friend of mine lost 9 stone on ww within a year, and lost alot of her hair, but it soon grew back.. you wont go completely balled (sp), treat yourself to the hairdresser's for extension,s thats what they are there for :)

it is a risk, but a healthy risk, remember that :)

Please do not worry!!

if it does happen, it will soon grow back..

Last edited:
When i did cambridge before for 5 months I didnt lose any hair and would have noticed as I have very thin hair to start with( only bloody thin bit of me grrrrr). It should have been in your cambridge pink book that this can be one of the side effects to the diet, but is very rare and unfortunately for you your the rare one.

I too am unfortunate in that I have lost alot of hair ,also the condition of the hair that is left is terrible .But I still think that doing the diet was the best thing and my hair is now slowly starting to grow back with good shampoo and conditioners my hair is getting healthier .The hair loss is a major side effect but its not for ever and the great results from the diet are well worth wearing a hat for a short time .

i lost hair my first time round and am pleased to report its grown back and is now nice and thick ( i had very thin hair before )

But if you're really worried about losing hair you could could try a shampoo bar that i used from Lush. I think its called the Cinnimon bar and its meant to be very good as its been used by chemo patients with good results. I posted about this year ago, so you might be able to find the thread if you search it.

I've just had a look on the Lush website and its called New Shampoo Bar it has received a really good review as well. x

I think I am going to cry. I have spent several years on my hair. When it was short, it looked awful and I was devastated. Since, it's grown very long and very very thick, but it took me the better part of 4 years to get it there. That's an awful long time... with all this weight, the only thing I have to take comfort in when I see myself int he mirror are my eyes and my hair..... oh please don't let me be the one who has to chop her hair. I don't know if I can part with it...

I lost quite a bit of hair first time round, it started when I was in maintainance, Its ok now but it never really grew back so I guess I was one of the unlucky ones.

I think it is very sad for someone to come on here and say what happened to them on this diet, yes ok share your experience, but positive experience, i mean what is more important taking a risk with your life and staying unhealthy? or risking something else that will get back to normal one day and be healthy?

It has obviousley knocked alot of people down :(, probably to the stage where they will seek comfort in food again and give up dieting for a fear of being 1 in what eva people to lose hair which will grow back eventually :(.

agree wholeheartedly with amethyst
those not on cd long will have read the title and started to panic immediatly.
the hairloss isnt common and can happenen on any diet but it will grow back eventually

Ditto - this is a scarey thread and likely to put people off - it is rare from what I gather, so let's keep things in perspective eh?

To all those who are really worried about losing their hair please please don't worry, as mini and spooky have said it can happen to anyone who loses a lot of weight in a short period of time.
After having my first baby i lost all my baby weight within the first few weeks and as a result my hair fell out in clumps but it didnt last long and grew back very fast. The same is happening to me again at the momet as I just had a baby in April and i'm losing more weight than before but i know it will grow back.
Please dont imagine yourself with a patchy head of hair as even though it might fall out its unoticable to anyone other than yourself.

I always think of the situation as: well i'd rather let my hair thin for a few weeks than jeoprdise my body being thin :)

Back