◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

:wee: I HAVE MADE YOGHURT!!!! :D:D:D:D Haven't tasted it yet as it's cooling off in the fridge at the moment, but it looked SO nice! Can;t wait to give it a try and I've also scooped out a batch, put it in a cotton teatowel so that it can drain and I'm planning to make Boursin... what a fab start of Tuesday :)

Thank you so much for your advice!

I was very happy when I unwrapped my slow cooker this morning: nearly a litre of thick, velvety yoghurt was waiting for me! It didn't need draining and it was so smooth. Very happy :)

I certainly won't be buying any more yoghurt - and that's coming from someone who'd happily spend £10 on expensive Onken throughout the week.

So thanks again - I will certainly be spreading the word.

That's great, glad that it turned out ok.

I have just made my second batch using a starter from the first one that I made and it is lovely and creamy.

I like mine really thick though so it has been draining for 2 hrs and there is still a bit of whey coming out of it.

Sitting here eating some of the Boursin style spread on wholemeal bread for lunch, lovely!

:D

:wee: I HAVE MADE YOGHURT!!!! :D:D:D:D Haven't tasted it yet as it's cooling off in the fridge at the moment, but it looked SO nice! Can;t wait to give it a try and I've also scooped out a batch, put it in a cotton teatowel so that it can drain and I'm planning to make Boursin... what a fab start of Tuesday :)

Yeh!

Just wait until you taste it, then you will be impressed.

I put mine in the fridge after 8 hours when it has set. You can leave it longer, the longer you leave it the more tart it becomes so 8 hours is mild, about 10 to 12 would be tart, or so I have read.

I like mine mild so that it tastes like cream when it is thicker.

I guess you will have to stock up on more UHT milk now Mirjam.

;)

Try a cotton handkerchief, that works really welll and it is small enough to gather the corners up, tie together using a sandwich bag tie and just sit on top of the yog.

You may find that a tea towel may be a bit too big.

I've got another 4L of UHT milk left so I can make 2 more large batches. I don't have any cotton hankies hence the tea towel.. it's big but not big enough to lie in the colander in the fridge :)

I've tasted a little bit and it tastes quite tangy but that's the way I like it. Can't wait to taste some more!

I've tasted a little bit and it tastes quite tangy but that's the way I like it. Can't wait to taste some more!

That must be because you left it for longer than mine Mirjam, I think it was going to be ready at 3am wasn't it?

That just shows that the longer you leave it the more tart / tangy it gets.

Take a look at this link, it says you can lose belly fat by eating more yoghurt, I think I may be on the way as I can't stop eating the stuff!

Yogurt Health and Weight-Loss Benefits |10 Surprising Benefits of Yogurt

I have just had some for my sweet with a sugar free jelly, mmmmm!

I read that some people add jam for flavouring and one person mentioned adding Options Chocolate Drink powder, oh and someone somewhere said they add a packet of Angel Delight to the milk before they put it in the sc.

No good for some of us but and idea maybe for the rest of the family.

;)

I made a batch last night but instead of leaving it for 8 to 10 hours as I normally do, I thought I would leave it for longer to see what the difference was.

I left it for 14 hours and it had more of a tang, not too tangy but I def prefer the one left for a shorter time, it tastes a lot creamier.

:)

Mine was ready at 2am but left it until the next morning and it tastes really nice! Made some more yesterday and have on in the sc as we speak as I need to stock up on yoghurt cos I'm starting a new job on Monday and can't make it during the day anymore. Strained the batch I made yesterday and it's soooooooooo nice, thick and creamy! Took it out after 8 hours setting and although it tastes tangy, it's not an overpowering taste. Will be busy making 2 more batches (one tomorrow and one Sunday). I've flavoured mine with splenda and cinnamon and it tastes divine! Not the whole batch of course, just the portion I had this morning :)

Sounds delicious, girls. Well done.

If I were to make my own I'd find it hard to keep my total dairy under the 1kg (is that approx equivalent to 1 litre?) per day limit!

No it's not. If you have thinner yoghurt you will have more in 1kg than when it's like Greek yoghurt so you will need to weigh all the yoghurt before you eat it. Hope this helps x

Strained the batch I made yesterday and it's soooooooooo nice, thick and creamy! :)

I strain all of mine as I like it more when it is thick and creamy, it doesn't seem as tart either once drained, I guess a lot of that tartness is in the whey.

It's amazing how much whey comes out of one litre of yoghurt!

I found an american site the other day where someone did tests regarding weight loss and it said eating greek style yoghurt with less whey showed that people lost a lot of weight from their stomach.

I bookmarked it on my pc (on the netbook at the mo), I will post a link later.

;)

I think I am becoming addicted to yoghurt.

I made a smoothie with one this morning, yoghurt stirred to make it thinner with added strawberry jelly powder, splenda and oatbran, it was bloomin' lovely!

I am in conso, eating lots inc bread and cheese and lots of yoghurt and am losing 4oz on average per day so I must be doing something right.

I've been making loads of yoghurt lately, it's so addictive.

You are right, it is addictive. :D

I am making soft cheese from mine and using that as a spread on my sandwiches, some thick yogurt as a type of clotted cream for my sweet with rhubarb or jelly and some with oatbran as a smoothie.

Well done Diamond and welcome to the home made yoghurt club :D x

It worked!!! I currently have a litre of yogurt straining in my fridge as I like it thick but would happily eat it now as it tastes blooming lovely :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Brilliant!

Glad that you like it although how could you not like it, it's so creamy, I love it.

;)

I had an idea, when I make my next batch I am going to make it thicker as usual, cut a dukan muffin in half and spead some on there like a scone with clotted cream.

Mine is currently draining in the fridge. Tastes really good. I think I'll leave a few portions to drain longer so I can get batches of a runnier yoghurt, thicker greek yoghurt, quark and maybe a garlic and herb cheese.

I know what I'll be doing every weekend now!

Back