◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

Well done Diamond and welcome to the home made yoghurt club :D x

Yep, best you get stocked up on UHT milk as you will be gutted if you come to make some more yog and have none in the cupboard.

This will become addictive, you will be making LOTS of this now.

:D

Mine is currently draining in the fridge. Tastes really good. I think I'll leave a few portions to drain longer so I can get batches of a runnier yoghurt, thicker greek yoghurt, quark and maybe a garlic and herb cheese.

I know what I'll be doing every weekend now!

Sounds like you may become addicted too! Join the club.

I am so glad I found that YouTube video showing how to make it, it is one of those 'keeper' recipes.

It is so versatile and so much more healthy than shop bought stuff.

;)

I'm making my last batch of the weekend right now, am starting phase 2 in 12 mins :D am also draining the batches I made yesterday so when I'm finished draining that I should have about 6 pots of thick, creamy yoghurt excluding the batches I'm making today.

I'm making my last batch of the weekend right now, am starting phase 2 in 12 mins :D am also draining the batches I made yesterday so when I'm finished draining that I should have about 6 pots of thick, creamy yoghurt excluding the batches I'm making today.

I take it you like this yoghurt then Mirjam?

How did you get on with the cheese that you were going to try?

I love the yoghurt! Have made 1 batch if cheese but it's more like sour cream and I don't like sour cream so will have to give the cheese making another go but that'll be next weekend.

Did and experiment today, left out the milk powder and just added the starter yog to the milk.

Just been to check as it has been wrapped up for 8 hours.

It tastes like yoghurt but is very runny, probably would be ok as a yoghurt drink if you added oatbran and fruit etc.

I can't see it doing much in there now so I have poured it into my Easiyo container and will see how it looks in the morning.

;)

Only thing is, if it is carp I won't have any of my lovely yog left for tomorrow. :cry:

I'm not flippin' buying any now, I will have to get a new batch on very early.

Thanks for experimenting on our behalf though! I'm going to pick up a slowcooker in the next few days. :)

Thanks for experimenting on our behalf though! I'm going to pick up a slowcooker in the next few days. :)

Don't forget your UHT milk and milk powder too. :D

I have two slow cookers, a large oval one and one of the small round 1.5ltr ones.

I use the small one for the yog as it doesn't take up much room, especially when it has a couple of bath towels wrapped around it!

;)

Did and experiment today, left out the milk powder and just added the starter yog to the milk.

Just been to check as it has been wrapped up for 8 hours.

It tastes like yoghurt but is very runny, probably would be ok as a yoghurt drink if you added oatbran and fruit etc.

I can't see it doing much in there now so I have poured it into my Easiyo container and will see how it looks in the morning.

;)

Only thing is, if it is carp I won't have any of my lovely yog left for tomorrow. :cry:

I'm not flippin' buying any now, I will have to get a new batch on very early.

Well, it had set in the Easiyo so I poured off most of the whey which was resting on top.

I let it drain for an hour or so but it was a bit lumpy.

Whisked it to make it smoother but it isn't very nice, it's a bit grainy.

Def won't bother doing it that way again.

I will continue to use milk powder, it def makes it smoother and creamier.

For anyone making this for other members of the family, I found this on another site:

Scoop out a cup full and mix with 25ml of natural yoghurt (25p, i got a pot of 75ml for 75p - maybe able to buy cheaper - and froze the other 2 portions)
I then whisk in one of asdas own angel delight, todays is banana but the butterscotch one is really nice as well (28p)
and then whisk all that into the milk in the slow cooker. Cover slow cooker with towels and leave over night.

May be worth a try.

;)

Oooh that's a good idea! What about custard powder, do you think? To make vanilla yoghurt?

I'm going to buy some milk today and make more yoghurt. Can't believe how quickly I'm getting through it - it's like I'm some sort of yoghurt-destroying machine!

Although OH, who likes to make healthy biscuits, has been using the plain yoghurt I made as a biscuit base: he mixes a little yoghurt with honey, ground linseed, ground wheatbran and a little wholemeal flour, shapes into biscuits and bakes. They're really lush and nutty.

Plus they have lots of protein and fibre. If you replace the honey with sweetener, they could be low-carb, too (depending on how much flour you use - you need some for the gluten, otherwise they won't set into a hard biscuit).

I love this yogurt. I'm making a double batch every night and me, my partner and little girl are getting through it. I'm considering getting an additional slow cooker as I do need it to cook meals too and always seems to be taken up with the yogurt process. I can't believe this yogurt is almost fat-free, it is so thick and creamy. I don't think I'll be buying yogurt again.

I'm going to buy some milk today and make more yoghurt. Can't believe how quickly I'm getting through it - it's like I'm some sort of yoghurt-destroying machine!

Snap!

I am only making it in 1ltr batches as I am the only one eating it but I think I may have to get the bigger slow cooker out and make 2 litres at a time.

;)

I love this yogurt. I'm making a double batch every night and me, my partner and little girl are getting through it. I'm considering getting an additional slow cooker as I do need it to cook meals too and always seems to be taken up with the yogurt process. I can't believe this yogurt is almost fat-free, it is so thick and creamy. I don't think I'll be buying yogurt again.

It is very nice considering the amount of fat that 'isn't' in it! :D

At least it won't cost you a fortune running two slow cookers.

Yeh!

Just wait until you taste it, then you will be impressed.

I put mine in the fridge after 8 hours when it has set. You can leave it longer, the longer you leave it the more tart it becomes so 8 hours is mild, about 10 to 12 would be tart, or so I have read.

I like mine mild so that it tastes like cream when it is thicker.

I guess you will have to stock up on more UHT milk now Mirjam.

;)

I am a little confused, when you say it is a little more tangy, when you leave it longer ....
Do you mean leave it longer before you strain it to make it thicker ?

I have a Lakeland yoghurt maker which is excellent, and I also used to strain mine when I made it....
I never really noticed the taste difference before, other than the thickness :eek:

I always kept meaning to try making the soya yoghurt too, but never got round to trying it ...It shows as having less carbs, but I am not sure it would be any good for Dukan. I just prefer the flavour it has.... maybe one day :)

Don'tWantToBeFatAnd50! said:
Yes, leave it longer before you strain it.
;)

Ah.... Ok :)
I think I might make up some today. I haven't made any for months :(.
And you are very correct about the yeo valley as the starter. I found that one best too ;)

I've left mine in the fridge and didn't strain the first batch till yesterday and it's very tangy but I like it that way. Will strain the rest today (made this batch on Sunday)

I've left mine in the fridge and didn't strain the first batch till yesterday and it's very tangy but I like it that way. Will strain the rest today (made this batch on Sunday)

Out of interest, how long can the yogurt last in the fridge before it goes off?

Bit of a moot point really, considering I can't keep my hands off it and it will probably never last more than a day and a half :eek:

Back