◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

Out of interest, how long can the yogurt last in the fridge before it goes off?

Bit of a moot point really, considering I can't keep my hands off it and it will probably never last more than a day and a half :eek:

Exactly, I wouldn't worry about that, it isn't going to last that long!

:D

I made some last night with Soya milk. Tis lovely :)

I have some sitting in my slow cooker right now! I made it a big fat jacket from newspaper which I can reuse, it seems to work well!

So I read up on the "science" of why you're meant to heat the milk for so long. I had previously ignored that bit, as I couldn't see the point, but apparently it causes the whey protein to denature and thus thicken the yoghurt. This may explain why my yoghurt wasn't quite as solid as it could have been.

So this time not only did I follow the exact timing instructions, but I also kept a hawk's eye on the thermometer and added a scoop of whey protein powder (strawberry flavour). I'm really curious to see how this turns out. It would be lovely if I'd found a healthy way to thicken and flavour the yoghurt!

I am itching to have a peek under the slow cooker's cosy little blanket, but I won't! Bring on midnight, when eight hours will have passed...!

*crosses fingers*

I have some sitting in my slow cooker right now! I made it a big fat jacket from newspaper which I can reuse, it seems to work well!

So I read up on the "science" of why you're meant to heat the milk for so long. I had previously ignored that bit, as I couldn't see the point, but apparently it causes the whey protein to denature and thus thicken the yoghurt. This may explain why my yoghurt wasn't quite as solid as it could have been.

So this time not only did I follow the exact timing instructions, but I also kept a hawk's eye on the thermometer and added a scoop of whey protein powder (strawberry flavour). I'm really curious to see how this turns out. It would be lovely if I'd found a healthy way to thicken and flavour the yoghurt!

I am itching to have a peek under the slow cooker's cosy little blanket, but I won't! Bring on midnight, when eight hours will have passed...!

*crosses fingers*

How long were you leaving it in the blanket for S&L?

I have been leaving mine for at least 10 hours as I wanted it thicker than it was after 8.

You say bring on midnight, that is exactly what I was doing but I had change of tactics this morning.

The alarm goes off for my husband at 5am and I normally don't hear it but did this morning.

So, I rushed downstairs and filled the sc with a litre of milk.

Was ready to switch off at 7.30am and cover in his blanky at 10.30am. :D

I will uncover at 8.30pm when it has had 10 hours and drain for a couple of hours before I go to bed.

;)

I have read that some people put the wrapped up slow cooker into the oven (making sure it isn't switched on) overnight, so that it retains the heat for a bit longer and it is not in a draught.

Some leave the oven light on, not sure why, I wonder if that emits a bit of extra heat to make it more stable.

My yoghurt is SO THICK this morning - I could stand a spoon up in it! The whey powder really worked a treat. So now I have a healthy strawberry flavoured yoghurt! I might set some aside for my next starter, and then blend some real strawberries into the rest for a proper sweet treat :)

My yoghurt is SO THICK this morning - I could stand a spoon up in it! The whey powder really worked a treat. So now I have a healthy strawberry flavoured yoghurt! I might set some aside for my next starter, and then blend some real strawberries into the rest for a proper sweet treat :)

That's brilliant! ;)

Mmmmmmmm! Strawberry yoghurt.

:D

Ok, I have a couple of 'non starters' and was wondering if it was because of my starter yoghurt.

I split my tub of Yeo Valley yoghurt into 4 containers and froze to use as starters, just in case my others didn't work.

Anyway, I forgot to save part of my initial batch so used the frozen ones.

I left them out of the freezer for an hour or so so that they were defrosted.

Anyway, the new batches, I tried two lots didn't set.

What do others do with their Yeo Valley starter, do you take a tbs out and leave the rest in the fridge for a couple of days or do you freeze it.

I can't work out why mine didn't work after brilliant results before.

I think freezing it may be the problem.
I vaguely remember trying this ages ago when I first made yoghurt, and I am sure mine didn't set either.
I also found that you could only use a starter from yoghurt you had made 6-8 times, sometimes less....
It seemed as though it ran out of steam if you know what I mean. I just bought another yeo valley, and started again. :)

I think freezing it may be the problem.
I vaguely remember trying this ages ago when I first made yoghurt, and I am sure mine didn't set either.
I also found that you could only use a starter from yoghurt you had made 6-8 times, sometimes less....
It seemed as though it ran out of steam if you know what I mean. I just bought another yeo valley, and started again. :)

It was new Yeo Valley that I froze the other day.

I think I know what the problem may be though.

When it had defrosted, the blob of yoghurt was sat in a pool of liquid which I poured away thinking it was water. Doh!

I have a new tub of Yeo Valley in the fridge, I think I will just keep it in there for a couple of days and use it from the tub (after being at room temp).

I went to John Lewis today and bought some baby muslin as the other muslin they sell there is too small (46x46cm). Have 6 so plenty to use to make yoghurt :)
Forgot to buy some milk today so only making 2L instead of 4... better make more tomorrow!

I don't know what's more addictive, making the yogurt or the yogurt. When I've finished making a batch I'm already itching to get another on.

For me, it's the yoghurt. I don't mind making it but it takes a whole day and patience's not my virtue... :D

Ok, I have a couple of 'non starters' and was wondering if it was because of my starter yoghurt.

I split my tub of Yeo Valley yoghurt into 4 containers and froze to use as starters, just in case my others didn't work.

Anyway, I forgot to save part of my initial batch so used the frozen ones.

I left them out of the freezer for an hour or so so that they were defrosted.

Anyway, the new batches, I tried two lots didn't set.

What do others do with their Yeo Valley starter, do you take a tbs out and leave the rest in the fridge for a couple of days or do you freeze it.

I can't work out why mine didn't work after brilliant results before.

Well I have sorted them out.

I have one draining over a bowl to make some yoghurt cheese the other looks a lot thicker.

I put it in my Easiyo beaker and left it in that for about 4 hours, it was thicker then but lumpy. I poured off the mass of whey that was in there, blitzed it in my blender and put it in the fridge for a few hours. It has gone a lot thicker since and had whey at the bottom of the tub. Just put it in a hanky over a seive to drain it for a couple of hours or so.

I wish I had done all of this with the first batch I made in the easiyo instead of throwing int away! :rolleyes:

Is the UHT milk skimmed or full fat? Did make my own yoghurt with a cup of cold water, a cup of boiling water, and a cup of skimmed milk powder. Wrapped it up in towel and put it in a cool box with some bottles of hot water. Left overnight and it worked wonderfully. But doing slimming world so think this worked out at too many syns so gave it up and now eating fat free mullerlights. But this sounds as if it has less syns. Anyone out there have any idea how many?

What I do is from every new batch I make, I keep say half a tub for the next batch so I'm always using the latest batch I've made. Maybe this might be an idea?

Is the UHT milk skimmed or full fat? Did make my own yoghurt with a cup of cold water, a cup of boiling water, and a cup of skimmed milk powder. Wrapped it up in towel and put it in a cool box with some bottles of hot water. Left overnight and it worked wonderfully. But doing slimming world so think this worked out at too many syns so gave it up and now eating fat free mullerlights. But this sounds as if it has less syns. Anyone out there have any idea how many?

You can use skimmed UHT or semi skimmed which is what I use.

Haven't got a clue about syns etc as I have never done it, sorry.

;)

What I do is from every new batch I make, I keep say half a tub for the next batch so I'm always using the latest batch I've made. Maybe this might be an idea?

Well I was doing that Mirj but I was freezing it. I will have to start putting it in the fridge as I will be using it the next day anyway.

Well I have sorted them out.

I have one draining over a bowl to make some yoghurt cheese the other looks a lot thicker.

I put it in my Easiyo beaker and left it in that for about 4 hours, it was thicker then but lumpy. I poured off the mass of whey that was in there, blitzed it in my blender and put it in the fridge for a few hours. It has gone a lot thicker since and had whey at the bottom of the tub. Just put it in a hanky over a seive to drain it for a couple of hours or so.

I wish I had done all of this with the first batch I made in the easiyo instead of throwing int away! :rolleyes:

Well folks, I can't believe this but take a look at the one that I blitzed in my smoothie maker. It tastes and looks amazing (luckily my cold has improved so I have my taste back!).

It looks like whipped cream and probably tastes just as nice, it does not taste anything like tart greek yoghurt.

6563185.jpg

6563250.jpg
6563256.jpg

Sorry about the big pics but I think these will make your mouth water if you like cream.

:)

Last edited:
Back