◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

ive just lovingly wrapped my SC up for the night :) lovely homemade yoghurt for brekkie in the morning Thank you DWTBF x

Im just about to switch on my yoghurt maker for the night ... too lazy to do it in the slow cooker now LOL

ohhh excited!! Just wrapped my s/cooker up,,my first attempt at making it after reading and re reading this thread and checking it again to make sure! thankyou all who post ;-)

ive just lovingly wrapped my SC up for the night :) lovely homemade yoghurt for brekkie in the morning Thank you DWTBF x

You are welcome ;) .

It is weird how you lovingly wrap it up though, I do the same too! :D

I forgot to stock up on uht and didn't make any last night :cry:, will have to stock up today.

By the look of the economic outlook, uht will def be one of the things to stock up on before the price shoots through the roof! :mad: I would def miss my s/c yoghurt.

ohhh excited!! Just wrapped my s/cooker up,,my first attempt at making it after reading and re reading this thread and checking it again to make sure! thankyou all who post ;-)

Good luck Kirsty, hope you like it and don't forget if it isn't thick enough for you it can easily be strained using a cotton hankie and a colander.

;)

It is thick enough for most but I like my yoghurt to be almost clotted cream thickness (it does thin out when so thick if you stir it).

Ah thankyou, :-( I made something!! but its not thick at all its very runny, it tastes like yoghurt but much more runny. I put some in a hanky to strain but its still runny hahhaa maybe my slow cooker was too hot/cold ahhhhh I dont know!!!

Ive had disasters with two of mine, first one was milk too cold and the second I didnt have my starter yoghurt at room temp. When it goes right its like thick clotted cream feels like you are having something very naughty ;)

Thats what I want thick thick yog ;-/ I had my starter at room temp,,I shall try again today! Is one tablespoon of starter and one skimmed milk powder enough? I think it may be my slow cooker it kinda burns everything on low,,the milk had burnt all around edge?!
edit just re read ur post I think my milk may have been too HOT maybe as it was burnt around edges it was too hot and killed the bacteria , I will try again and try catch milk at right temp,,thankyou for your help and advice much appreciated!

Last edited:
Thats what I want thick thick yog ;-/ I had my starter at room temp,,I shall try again today! Is one tablespoon of starter and one skimmed milk powder enough? I think it may be my slow cooker it kinda burns everything on low,,the milk had burnt all around edge?!
edit just re read ur post I think my milk may have been too HOT maybe as it was burnt around edges it was too hot and killed the bacteria , I will try again and try catch milk at right temp,,thankyou for your help and advice much appreciated!

Kirsty, just my opinion but if your slow cooker is burning milk on low after only 2 1/2 hours it sounds like it is faulty.

I wouldn't try it again. If it def was set to low and burned then I would buy another slow cooker for safety reasons, it shouldn't be getting that hot on low.

They are cheap enough for basic ones at Argos or Tesco.

Is one tablespoon of starter and one skimmed milk powder enough?

Yes, that is enough, just make sure you use a decent yoghurt to start off with ie Yeo Valley Organic, it is only 48p a tub and that will be enough for about 5 lots of yoghurt.

Although you can save some to use as a starter from your made up batch (before you strain it).

I don't bother now, I just use the Yeo Valley throughout the week, it works the best.

;)

Off shopping now to stock up on more UHT, mustn't make the mistake of running out again.

thankyou! i will pick up another s/cooker,,it has always burnt stuff on low,,i cant make spag bol or chilli in it as it turns out bland and burnt round edge. thats after 4/5 hours on low ;-/ will try again with yog later in week.

this was the best ever - dont know why didnt do anything different :D

I wonder if it is because of room temperature, have you had the heating on?

One of mine was thicker the other day when it was quite warm, the room it was in catches a lot of light in the afternoon.

Has anyone made this in a yoghurt maker? I have one with 6 small pots. Is there a certain temperature the milk has to be before adding yoghurt? And is the time left to cool important? i.e is it the temperature of the milk important or the leaving it sitting the important thing? Hope this makes sense cause would be useful to use what I already have rather than buying slow cooker.

I've made it in the Lakeland electric yoghurt maker.... I just put in the yoghurt, skimmed milk powder & milk into the jug put the lid on switch on and leave for 8 hours and I have lovely thick yoghurt everytime. Do you have the instructions ? What does it suggest ?

warmed milk as usual and was waiting for it to cool down before adding other stuff. Was really creamcrackered so I did the next stage after only waiting an hour result this morning a much thicker yoghurt - straining now. Cant beat it - next batch on later :)

warmed milk as usual and was waiting for it to cool down before adding other stuff. Was really creamcrackered so I did the next stage after only waiting an hour result this morning a much thicker yoghurt - straining now. Cant beat it - next batch on later :)

I am trying this now but added the extras after 1 1/2 hrs, just to see how it comes out.

Roll on 8.30pm then I can see what the outcome is.

;)

Back