◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

I am dying for some Italian ice cream DWTBFA50, that's my all time favorite ice cream. Still looking for an ice cream maker so that I can make it myself but I don't want one where I need to keep the mixing bowl into the freezer. Any suggestions?

I am dying for some Italian ice cream DWTBFA50, that's my all time favorite ice cream. Still looking for an ice cream maker so that I can make it myself but I don't want one where I need to keep the mixing bowl into the freezer. Any suggestions?

This one says you only need to freeze the disc and not the bowl.

It isn't available at Amazon but you can read the reviews and see what you think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HR2304-Ice-Cream-Maker/dp/B000PBL64S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

;)

Thanks DWTBFA50 but this one has been discontinued :( I guess I'll just have to keep looking. x

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had noticed any difference in thickness or taste when using skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. Planning on trying this in the next few days so wanted to know if its worth the extra little bit of fat in the semi-skimmed or to plump for the skimmed.

Thank you
I shall let you know the results tomorrow night after straining 'excited'

WOW - The best yoghurt (more like double cream) I have ever tasted it is delicious. Its so easy - Thank you so much DWTBF for posting.
Muffin, Rhubarb and thick creamy yoghurt for pud - what more could a girl ask for :D

WOW - The best yoghurt (more like double cream) I have ever tasted it is delicious. Its so easy - Thank you so much DWTBF for posting.
Muffin, Rhubarb and thick creamy yoghurt for pud - what more could a girl ask for :D

Yeh!

Glad that you like it Chris. :D

I had some earlier with rhubarb and a bit of splenda and vanilla essence added, bloomin' lovely!

;)

If it is too thick just either stir it quickly, that will thin it out or add some whey back into it.

Consistency was just right left it straining from 7 this morning until I got home at 4.30. Its that blimmin good another lot is on - my MrR will love it with a dollop on top of his curry.
To make the boursin do I just strain for much longer?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had noticed any difference in thickness or taste when using skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. Planning on trying this in the next few days so wanted to know if its worth the extra little bit of fat in the semi-skimmed or to plump for the skimmed.

I always use semi skimmed and it is very thick once drained, so I bought skimmed today and I am going to try that myself tonight.

I have read that skimmed does make a thinner yoghurt but some people don't drain it so it will appear thinner.

If I were you I would probably go for the semi skimmed first, see how thick it is and you can always try skimmed next time.

I wouldn't want it to be really thin, that would put you off making it again.

;)

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Consistency was just right left it straining from 7 this morning until I got home at 4.30. Its that blimmin good another lot is on - my MrR will love it with a dollop on top of his curry.
To make the boursin do I just strain for much longer?

I think I left mine straining in the kitchen throughout the afternoon and night.

I hung it from a hook over a bowl and just let it drip into that, then I put it in the fridge the following morning.

;)

Hi,

Well, I made some last night with skimmed milk (Aldi) but left it longer than normal as I was out on the school run etc.

I 'put to bed' :D at 10pm last night so was due to unwrap at 6am but didn't have time and took out of blanket at 9pm so it had 11 hours.

It looks just as thick as the semi skimmed but as I say I did leave it for 3 hours longer.

;)

By the way I have just seen how many stars this thread has and in such a short time. :wow:

Thanks for taking a look folks, I am glad you like it.

:grouphugg:

hmm ive just realised ive been using skimmed UHT :( is there a big difference in the fat content between the Two ?

the batch i made last night should have been put in the fridge @ 1.30 am but i must have slept through the timer so didnt go in untill 7.30 .... looked thick untill i started scooping it into the strainer and again there is lots of whey coming off it

hmm ive just realised ive been using skimmed UHT :( is there a big difference in the fat content between the Two ?

the batch i made last night should have been put in the fridge @ 1.30 am but i must have slept through the timer so didnt go in untill 7.30 .... looked thick untill i started scooping it into the strainer and again there is lots of whey coming off it

I don't think it will make a huge difference Ellie, I have binned my containers but I think it is only about 1.5% fat.

I have started to put my crock pot directly into the fridge once I unwrap it for a couple of hours before straining it.

I have tons of whey coming off mine when I strain it, basically half of it is whey, well mine is anyway. I do strain it quite well as I like very thick almost whipped cream like yoghurt.

;)

WEll ive just scooped it out the muslin and its much thicker this time :D only able to fill one cottage cheese tub as had 500ml of whey

Attachments

• yoghurt.jpg
    yoghurt.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 80
did a few things slightly different this time... left the starter yoghurt out to get to room temp, when i swtched the slow cooker off I put a teatowel over the lid incase it was losing heat too quickly, i put 2tbs of starter in and 2 tbsp of skimmed milk powder in, and it was also left longer before going in the fridge (slept through the alarm) but im happy with thats looking LOL

ETA toffee muffins are next on my list today as heading up to the farm im renovating tommorrow so will be good as breakfasts

I've only used skimmed milk for my yogurt. It still turns out lovely and thick and creamy. Am sticking with skimmed. When the whey is drained off the % fat in the yogurt goes up, nearly doubles per 100g. So instead of being 0.1% for skimmed milk it's closer to 0.2%. For semi-skimmed it will double too.

Last edited:
I've only used skimmed milk for my yogurt. It still turns out lovely and thick and creamy. Am sticking with skimmed. When the whey is drained off the % fat in the yogurt goes up, nearly doubles per 100g. So instead of being 0.1% for skimmed milk it's closer to 0.2%. For semi-skimmed it will double too.

I knew if you drained the whey off then you doubled the protein intake but not about the fat increase, thanks Locket.

;)

my attempt at making it this time was a disaster - left the milk cooling for too long and the starter wasnt at room temp (MrR put it back in the fridge) so another lot on this morning :)

I never let the starter set get to room temp and my yoghurts never fail me... except the first one when I added it too early :)

Back