◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

By the way, regarding the powdered milk for this yoghurt.

I have been buying Tesco milk powder but bought some from Lidl last week which I think will be better.

The Tesco one is granular, the Lidl is fine powder so I think that will be a lot easier to mix in and will dissolve instantly.

i've been using morrison's own brand which is a powder.

Can i ask a question? I've been using a muslin cloth to drain, this morning, 20 mins after it stopped dripping thru, I put my yoghurt in a container. Now, I've just gone and had a look in the container and it's gone really runny with solids floating about so it's going in the bin ( this is the one i made last night)

Would a flour sieve drain more liquid out than the muslin or are the holes too big to drain yoghurt?

i've been using morrison's own brand which is a powder.

Can i ask a question? I've been using a muslin cloth to drain, this morning, 20 mins after it stopped dripping thru, I put my yoghurt in a container. Now, I've just gone and had a look in the container and it's gone really runny with solids floating about so it's going in the bin ( this is the one i made last night)

Would a flour sieve drain more liquid out than the muslin or are the holes too big to drain yoghurt?

Can't help with that one I'm afraid, I use a metal sieve over a bowl and put a man's cotton handkerchief over the sieve.

Last edited:
I don't think I'm gonna need to worry - just had a peek at the yoghurt that i made this morning (when i only heated it up to 112f and then added ingredients)

and it has SET!!!!!! :bliss: :bliss:

well I think it's set, I just moved the s/c and instead of it sloshing about like milk it just wobbled like jelly :bliss::bliss:

i don't think i was this happy when i reached target weight..lol!!

gonna leave it for another couple of hours just to be sure.....;)

I don't think I'm gonna need to worry - just had a peek at the yoghurt that i made this morning (when i only heated it up to 112f and then added ingredients)

and it has SET!!!!!! :bliss: :bliss:

well I think it's set, I just moved the s/c and instead of it sloshing about like milk it just wobbled like jelly :bliss::bliss:

i don't think i was this happy when i reached target weight..lol!!

Yeh, I knew you would get there in the end.

:D

thanks so much for your patience :thankyou:

now I have one more question.. I bought 2 tubs of natural FF yoghurt tonight from tesco as I had no faith that this batch of homemade yoghurt would work and I would have ended up with none for my breakfast if this batch failed also - which thankfully hasn't happened on my 4th attempt ( I am not a quitter!)

so i want this batch to become boursin style cheese - should i leave it to set further (i.e overnight) before sticking it in the fridge in the morning?

I promise I won't ever, ever pester you about HM yoghurt after tonight :worthy:

thanks so much for your patience :thankyou:

now I have one more question.. I bought 2 tubs of natural FF yoghurt tonight from tesco as I had no faith that this batch of homemade yoghurt would work and I would have ended up with none for my breakfast if this batch failed also - which thankfully hasn't happened on my 4th attempt ( I am not a quitter!)

so i want this batch to become boursin style cheese - should i leave it to set further (i.e overnight) before sticking it in the fridge in the morning?

I promise I won't ever, ever pester you about HM yoghurt after tonight :worthy:

I normally put mine straight in the fridge for a couple of hours before I drain it.

You will need to leave it draining for a few hours in the fridge to get the cheese consistency.

If you find that the cheese is too dry, just add a bit of the whey back into it and give it a mix.

I am not expert, I just came across the recipe on YouTube and I have had a couple of failures too.

Give me a shout anytime, it isn't a problem.

;)

I want this batch to become boursin style cheese - should i leave it to set further (i.e overnight) before sticking it in the fridge in the morning?

The only thing it does by leaving it longer (if it has already set) is change the taste, the longer you leave it the more tart it will get.

I find that 8 hours gives a mild creamy taste, 10 hours plus makes it more sour/tart.

;)

Last edited:
i'd better get it in the fridge now then - 10 hours is enough! x

it's definitely worked, the only thing dripping thru the sieve into the bowl is clear whey -

phew! so relieved :rolleyes:

I had a disaster with my yoghurt maker yesterday, I'm putting it down to colder weather and the room it was in being very cold

I had a disaster with my yoghurt maker yesterday, I'm putting it down to colder weather and the room it was in being very cold

Yep, it must have been quite cold on Sunday night as we had condensation on the windows and even on the back of the new front door!

I know some people suggest making yoghurt during the day due to the higher temp.

We may have to reconsider the time of day that we make it when the cold weather sets in.

I didn't make any on Sunday night, I wish I had now just to see what the end result would have been like.

I normally use semi skimmed milk when making mine but bought some cheapo skimmed from Morrisons the other day.

It is the first time I have heard the whey 'pouring' through the hanky whilst draining, I normally get a dripping noise.

However, it produced the thickest yoghurt I have ever made BUT, it only produced 300g of yoghurt after draining, just filled a Tesco Value Cottage Cheese tub.

Seems like we're all having disasters with yogurt at the moment. I made mine last night in the electric maker and decided to drain it this morning to make it thicker - the whey poured out of it - I then forgot it and when I remembered I landed up with about 4 tablespoons of cheese (it's not bad with herbs added) but I really fancied a thick creamy yogurt.

Just making my first batch of yoghurt and I am very excited. Due to be ready at 8pm and I so want to peek but have so far resisted. I got one for my birthday, as requested from hubby with the link to Lakelands (subtle is not good in our house) but I went away for the weekend and then didn't have anything in to make it. Special trip out today (with way too many extras) and it is all on the go now.

Note to self - start going out more :)

Don't peek it doesn't like being disturbed lol

Bit like me then!

Oooo thick. In the fridge now :)

Back