whatkatiedid

So...

I've done Slimming World many times now but I always struggle going to group, this didn't help when I was a few years younger and I put 1lb on, the person who weighed me laughed at me and made a sarcastic comment. That knocks a young girl's confidence.

ANYWAY, I'm starting up my Slimming World diet again, from home this time. Being a student means I can't really afford to go to groups and I definitely can't afford the online price.

My 'big shop' is going to happen tonight to make sure I have all the right food in to kick start my diet. If anyone could help me out on what to buy it would be a big help! x

Hi whatkatiedid, welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear about your previous experience, I hope this time around you have a better time.

Well done for picking SW up again, there are plenty of people on here that do SW from home so I'm sure you'll find some good support here. Are you up to date on the plan, such as what's free, healthy extras and syns? There are plenty of posts on here if you're ever stuck or not sure and people are always willing to help.

In terms of shopping, I'd stock up on lots of fruit and veg - the SP ones are the best as a third of your plate should include these at every meal. Also, have a think about what you want to eat for your HEA's and HEB's and stock up on those. Will you be going for the old favourites - bread and Weetabix - or do you think you'll mix it up a bit with some porridge, nuts, dried fruit etc? Mixing it up throughout the week might be nice so you don't get bored. Also think about what free foods you think you'll want. Muller Lights are usually on offer somewhere. How about things like pasta, rice, meat, eggs...all the free staples. If you do big shops each week rather than picking things up as you go, it might help to make a meal plan for the week so that you'll know what you'll be having every day and you can shop accordingly. I'm terrible at that and always realise I need (want!) something else almost every day but I hear that it does work if you're not a scatterbrain like me :D

Good advice there ^^^ I'd shop at places like Aldi & Lidl they have a good selection of SW friendly foods at a good price, for example the noodles in packets are good with only a few syns.

My go-to shopping list (or stuff i always have in the cupboard) :

• Apples
  • Satsumas
  • Potatoes
  • Salad bits
  • 400g loaf of whole meal bread (this goes in the freezer so I can just get 2slices out when needed)
  • Eggs
  • Pasta/rice
  • Tinned tomato
  • Baked beans
  • Pickled onions!
  • Frylight
  • Porrige oats
  • Special K bars (the heb ones)
  • Frozen berries
  • Frozen vegg
  • Milk
  • Cheese
  • Muller lights
  • Packaged ham
  • Chicken breasts (normally keep them individual wrapped in the freezer)
  • 5% beef mince (again portioned off into 250g in the freezer)
Obviously I get other stuff in as well. The trick is to plan every meal for that week and to really stock up on those good old speed fruit and veggies.

Shopping at Aldi helps us budget. Also bulk buying things like pasta which can last. I usually check the Aldi website for their offers while doing my meal plan for the week. Good luck. x

Greetings from a fellow student!

Do you know anyone who goes to group, even remotely like a parents friend? I think there's an offer on at the moment where if someone brings along a friend to join, there's a discount for both people. I know you said you won't be going to group, but thought it was worth mentioning, even if it's just to get the members pack and you never go again. It's a great useful tool you can carry around with you and keep in your kitchen drawer and it's got common syns listed in the back. It's also great to refer to for ingredient inspiration, and to make help better make sure you're following plan properly.

Have a look through the recipes on the forum, or the Slimming World website has some you can access without being a member. Iceland do a SW Ready Meal range which has recipes on the back of the pack too.

There's so much to list in terms of "what's good for a food shop?" and what's good for one person might not be for another. I don't like cheese and salads bore me, so while some people's lists will contain plenty of meal ideas around those, mine wouldn't at all. Maybe think of your favourite meals, and a SW version probably exists. It might seem expensive at first with all the spices and herbs, but they help so much in terms of keeping meals fresh and exciting, and the recipes often call for just 1/2 teaspoons for 4 meals worth. So these will last you ages.

I often cook 4 meals worth at once and freeze the other 3. They last ages, and are great for when you don't have the time or just can't be bothered to cook.

hi

excellent advice so far. for me, stocking on tinned and dried beans, rice and pasta as well as potatoes helps. I can vary the meals using different fruit and veg which I pick every couple of days as if I buy them at once I find that I waste a lot and may not be in the mood for them anyway. Slowcookers are amazing if you can get your hands on one.

Hi whatkatiedid, welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear about your previous experience, I hope this time around you have a better time.

Well done for picking SW up again, there are plenty of people on here that do SW from home so I'm sure you'll find some good support here. Are you up to date on the plan, such as what's free, healthy extras and syns? There are plenty of posts on here if you're ever stuck or not sure and people are always willing to help.

In terms of shopping, I'd stock up on lots of fruit and veg - the SP ones are the best as a third of your plate should include these at every meal. Also, have a think about what you want to eat for your HEA's and HEB's and stock up on those. Will you be going for the old favourites - bread and Weetabix - or do you think you'll mix it up a bit with some porridge, nuts, dried fruit etc? Mixing it up throughout the week might be nice so you don't get bored. Also think about what free foods you think you'll want. Muller Lights are usually on offer somewhere. How about things like pasta, rice, meat, eggs...all the free staples. If you do big shops each week rather than picking things up as you go, it might help to make a meal plan for the week so that you'll know what you'll be having every day and you can shop accordingly. I'm terrible at that and always realise I need (want!) something else almost every day but I hear that it does work if you're not a scatterbrain like me :D
This is great advice, I highly recommend making a meal plan. I follow SW from home and write a meal plan usually on a Friday night or Saturday morning before I go shopping. That way you know what ingredients you need and it might save some money for you too.

I also try to make sure the majority if not all of the fruit and veg I buy is speed, then I know when I have 1/3 on my plate it is all speed foods.

Stacey x

Back