Attitude to fat people

i have to say i have worried about this myself... i always feel sad when i see obese people making themselves more obese. like in the train station seeing a woman eating her way through a bag of donuts and i wanted to say to her 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOURSELF'. i realised that people MUST have thought that about me before then but it almost made me mad that people would do such things to themselves... even though i'm one of them!! i would never do or say anything to the person though. but i'm not sure that makes it any better...

abz xx

its little kids at school that worry me....i know a little girl who is really quite large and her mum is a very large lady....i know for a fact she will get picked on, about herself and her mum.....but kids are kids and how do you stop them??? my little girl is 2 and says 'mummy got fatty bumbum!!!!'

as a person who is still fat (week2 underway) then I have to admit that when I see people my size, I think, omg why are you like that? even though I know the reasons myself because I am the same size as them.

It's crazy, but we'll never shift this attitude I don't believe. Not for 1000s of years anyway and the world will have imploded by then anyway!

I'd never dream of saying anything, unless something kicked off and I'd want people to know that I was once a fatty too so can understand both sides.

Wouldn't it be nice if children learned not to judge? When my twins went to school one of their first experiences was based on how they looked. One little girl said to Rachel ' No-one will be your friends because you are fat' - she wasn't, she was a little chubby but not enough to need bigger size clothes than her age. The little girl who said it was the skinny product of a very skinny Mum - she had obviously, at the tender age of 4, been made aware of how important how you look is.
Chris was a very slim child, weighed less that Rachel at birth and despite an identical diet was always lighter than her. Within th first week at school he was being called tich etc.. he coped with that but recently i have realised the impact that teasing has had on him. He would love to be taller and brawnier- he's stopped growing now but is gaining some muscle.
It just gets me that 2 gorgeous kids who never really had to think about their 'imperfections' before could be treated like that.
There is too much emphasis on how we look. I feel like I would like to carry a sign thats says ' yes I know i'm fat but I've had 4 kids, spent nearly 15 years on steroids and am now taking a life saving drug whose main side effect is weight gain, so excuse me if I just get on and enjoy my life rather than apologising for not being thinner.'

I feel like I would like to carry a sign thats says ' yes I know i'm fat but I've had 4 kids, spent nearly 15 years on steroids and am now taking a life saving drug whose main side effect is weight gain, so excuse me if I just get on and enjoy my life rather than apologising for not being thinner.'

I would love to see that on a teeshirt :D

That would be big because of the slogan - not big because I am so fat?

Thanks hun, I was quietly confident, but you know, just had to check!

I have found myself looking at peoples size, and what they're eating more. I saw a girl getting on a bus with a bottle of coke...and I thought..."That wasn't a wise decision", and then I realised that 1000s of times in the past, I was that girl!

Guen

Yep, so was I, food for thought..........

I remember being at a birthday party when my eldest was about 4 and the mum telling me her eldest son wouldn't eat because he had been told he was fat at school! Believe me he wasn't!

My youngest came home from school a couple of months ago and said she was soooooo fat!!!!!!! She is like a stick and the girls who told her this were bigger than her!!!!

A friends sister was bulimic for years after a boyfriends brother told her she had a fat bum - she was a size 10!!!!!

I try to emphasize healthy eating to my children without depriving them of "naughty" things because I don't want them to grow up eating in secret like I did coz my mum was soooooo obsessed with weight and never let us have any treats.

x

Ok, very interesting, the general consensus seems to be that people who are insensitive/nasty are the people with issues of their own. Hopefully, when we have lost our weight, and worked through our own image issues, we will all have nothing but compassion. Minimins is good for that, I don't expect Gaz, for example, to look down on me because I started 19 weeks after him, and we see new people starting all the time.

Guen

P.S. It seems like there's LOADS of new people all the time, but much less still posting a few weeks on. Do you guys reckon they give up, or just don't have use for the forum? Cos on here you'd assume 98ish percent suceed on LT, but what's the real percentage. Loads of people I know in real life gave up!

My pharmasist says that very few return after week one!!!!! He only had a handful who made a sucess of it. I swear by minimins. I think I may have been one of the quitters had I not found this forum.

For the record.. I loooooove Red hair its sooo sexy!! But then I am Irish!! I think the whole Ginger thing in the UK dates back to the time when you all hated us and thought we were all terrorists or something!! Anywhere else in the world Red hair is adored and envied!!.

Anhow back to topic.. I often have this conversation with the girl in my office who herself is in WW and doing well. I always thought that the first thing people thought when they saw me was.. " God She is fat" because thats the way I thought, well kinda, I compared myself to others and tried to make myself feel better by thinking to myself I'mm not as big as her!! However, I really don't think naturally slim people think that way, becasue they have never had to deal with those issues. I think its mostly bigger people who think that way. Now however I feel empathy toward people with weight issues as I know how difficult it is and would love to help people get through it. Its soooo difficult yet not so difficult to resolve if you put your mind to it...and thats the hard part. Agree with Shaz though this site is a life saver, I would have given up long ago if it hadn't been for you guys!!

when i did lt i didnt return after week on. when i joined cd my cdc told me she never see's alot of people again.. i think thats why they try and heap the food packs on your at you 1st visit!!!

Lol, I was gonna start an exact same thread! I was a fat child, adolescent, teen and now adult. I reckon I am a food addict and I have an addicitve personality. Next thing was alcohol and cigarettes, both of which I have quit off my own bat with no help. I am going to have wls because I do need help to lose the weight.

I admit when I was losing on LL in the past I seemed to notice bigger people more but didn't dwell on it too much or think bad of them. and once thought about a woman I saw on the street as we drove past 'I wonder does she know about LL'? and that was it.

After regaining my 3.5st plus 3 more for good measure I know that however much I do lose there are no garantees I will keep it off. I've a food problem and always will have. :(

I think I am like you Lyn8124, I think I have an addictive personality.
I never experimented with any drugs, and I only drink a few times a year because I am scared of what might happen.
I never really dieted before, I lost some weight without trying when I was 16, and then went on Atkins for a couple of weeks but got fed up with it.
Even with college work, or my relationships I am great sometimes, and dismal other times. I think it will always be all or nothing.

I am scared because the first time I get stuck out and have to eat something unhealthy I am scared I will never be able to get back on track (I am talking about Maintenance, not TFR).
I do not think it is possible to maintain the diet mentality forever, so how am I going to manage to get a happy medium?

Guen

hopefully guen, by the time you are refeeding, food will be such a novelty, you will cherish it rather than abuse it, thats what i'm hoping for.

my week one was so bad, i never want to have to do it again. for me that is my motivation for being more careful when i do refeed and eat again.

dont underestimate yourself, you may manage far easier than you think, and you taste for unhealthy food may have changed completely.

hoping that is the case anyway!

Helen xx

That's really what I'm hoping for too...but...oooh...so nervous. I wish I could go forward in time, and check I can lose the weight, and then come back and go through the hassle of actually losing it!

Guen

you will lose it, no fear there. our challenge is to stop it going back on again!

good luck.

xx

Back