Blimp to Bombshell: RawrGirl's Weight Loss Diary

OMG - you look stunning. Real fairytale stuff. And who cares if it was 3 hours when you got your happily ever after. x
Got to say you are hard on yourself - not saying it's not a bad thing to tough love yourself sometimes but cut yourself some slack ... really.

Exposed

A few weeks ago, while RawrGirl was happily playing on Minimins, she started considering writing a book on her 12 week weight loss journey if she made it to her goal. It would be written in third person, and was supposed to be a fun and quirky memoir.

Then, she realized how ridiculously short that would be, and that she should go back to 2009 when she met Prince Charming (online) and gained weight to quit smoking for him. She also wanted to include some body image issues she's deal with.

But as she started going through her diaries, she realized that so much of her weight and body image struggles over the years really stem back to her childhood, and are more entwined with the emotional and religious abuse she suffered from her father that she had ever realized. So she then decided she would go back to 2002. She also realized it will deal more with shame and religious abuse than weight loss. And while she is somewhat excited about the prospect of finally being free from all the toxic secrets she's held in for so long, and kept from other's, to preserve her father's "good" name, she realizes that 1) he is dead and 2) she is the one living under shame that isn't even hers. At the same time, it rehashes alot of stuff that she'd rather not think about. So it's been a very emotionally taxing week (she started typing up diary entries this past week while not having internet).

RawrGirl is thinking of naming it Exposed: A memoir. She's just not sure if she should add to that, such as:

Exposed: A memoir of one girl's 10 year struggle to free herself from religious abuse

Exposed: A memoir of religious abuse and shame

Exposed: A memoir of shame, dieting, and self-acceptance

Any suggestions?

So far, I've organized it into 3 parts.

Part 1 is all the core beliefs RawrGirl holds true (regardless of that fact that she intellectually knows they are not true, yet her soul still believes them, and she reacts to any given circumstance as though they are)...and the childhood event or teaching that taught her they were true.

Part 2 is diary entries from 2002-2008. This covers her worst body image days, the events that led her to go Goth, discovering she had a shame-core and going into a 12-step emotional recovery group, and ending relationships that were not healthy.

Part 3 is diary entries from 2009-2012. These are much more lighthearted and covers meeting Prince Charming, her mountain range weight loss (as seen in her signature), and (hopefully) finally reaching goal on Minimins and maybe even conquering her body image demons.

In the next post or so, RawrGirl will give examples, and you all can tell her if you think this is a worthwhile pursuit. Thanks! :)

Opening of Exposed

Ok, so this is a rough idea of how RawrGirl plans to open her memoir. If anyone is interested, she'd love to know if it's something you (if you read weight loss memoirs) would continue reading:

I grew up in a very rigid, fundamental Christian home, with a father who believed in dictatorial child rearing. During my teen years, he was also a pastor. To this day, it is hard for me to vocalize what happened as there was no one solitary event or act of concrete abuse that I can point to and succinctly sum up for someone why I am the way I am, why I react the way I react, why I believe the way I believe. My story is more of a series of events, sometimes unrelated, sometimes interconnected, of how a man in a position of authority set out to psychologically destroy me...and did so with such success that I would later be told by the man who had baptized me that I exhibited the symptoms of a rape victim.

Years later, I would discover that it is possible for extreme emotional abuse to inflict its victim with the same symptoms of those who were physically or sexually abused. But at the time, I could barely say more than, “My dad yells at me.” This response was often met with a raised brow as if to say, what kid doesn’t get yelled at by their parents?

What I didn’t, or couldn’t, verbalize was that at any given time of day I could walk into the house and my dad would take one look at me and fly into a rage, backing me into a corner, slamming his fist in the wall beside my head, his face inches from mine, his eyes bloodshot with fury, his face pink beneath the thin spots of his beard, screaming that the house was a mess, that a parishioner could come unannounced at any time, that I knew the house must be perfect at all times, and not like a pig sty, and that all he ever asked was for peace and quiet and a clean house so he could go down into his basement office and write his sermons.

Sometimes the trigger was the house. Sometimes it was because I smelt of cigarettes. Sometimes it was because I listened to a rock song. Sometimes it had nothing to do with me. My mother once answered my grandmother's question, "How is Jack?" "Fine, until Jaime walks into the room." But it was always the same...always the rage, always backing me into a corner, screaming until I cried.

One time, I decided I would not cry. That I would hold my ground. And so I did. I stood there, staring back as expressionless as I could. I tried so hard not to back away from him, but he got so in my face that I soon felt the kitchen counter behind me. But I refused to back down. I stood there, absorbing every scream like a blow, without flinching. This time it wasn’t just an outburst against me. My brother and sister were also there. I think he was raging about how the kitchen wasn’t as clean as he wanted. I remember him going over to the trash can and yelling about how it hadn’t been taken out, then picking it up and dumping it all over the floor, then raging about how there was trash everywhere.

Then, as always, he told us that it was our fault that he was angry, and thanked us for making him so riled up when he needed to be doing the “work of God.” He then turned and stormed down the basement steps, slamming the door behind him.

I remember the sigh of relief, not just that it was over, but that I had remained strong. For the first time ever, I had not cried. I hadn’t let him break me. Trembling, I asked my brother and sister if they were all right, when suddenly the basement door burst open and he flew at me, so fast and furious, screaming in my face again, that I had no time to emotionally prepare and instantly burst into tears.

Almost at once, he finished his rant and went back downstairs.

He’d never done that before. He’d never come back a second time. Every other time, he’d raged until his rage had been spent. But not this time.

Evidently, his anger would not wane unless he broke me.

Omg, that's deep. I've never experienced anything like that but I do find writing so healing. I think it's amazing that you're doing it.

And can I just say you look absolutely STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL in your wedding dress. Like a princess. You're soooooo pretty! X

Wow, you have a fantastic talent for writing and Faith is right, it's a very healing process so keep it up. It wasn't pleasant to read though, and i'm so sorry for what you've gone through. How ironic that a man who considered himself so religious could act so ungodly towards his own children. By the way, is your name Jaime?! That is my daughter's name, same spelling and everything. It's considered very unusual here and it's always been my favourite girls' name!

You looked absolutely stunning on your wedding day. Flawless. The last pic took my breath away, it could be straight from a bridal magazine! I have no doubt that you will look like that again very soon.

Great to have you back here. Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Wow, you have a fantastic talent for writing and Faith is right, it's a very healing process so keep it up. It wasn't pleasant to read though, and i'm so sorry for what you've gone through. How ironic that a man who considered himself so religious could act so ungodly towards his own children.

Thanks. RawrGirl wasn't on here much today because she had to finish writing Part 1 (all the crap that happened in her childhood). But she needed to get it over with. It's taken her several days, but it's finally done. She is emotionally spent. Never in a million years did she want to have to relive all that again, and she finds herself very angry, and not wanting to socialize. But it's finally done, the next part -- making coherence from 10 years worth of weight loss entries and stuff should be much easier, lol.

By the way, is your name Jaime?! That is my daughter's name, same spelling and everything. It's considered very unusual here and it's always been my favourite girls' name!

Yes, it is. Unfortunately I hate it as it was so often spoken with such disdain. Maybe knowing how pretty you think it is will help me like it. :)

You looked absolutely stunning on your wedding day. Flawless. The last pic took my breath away, it could be straight from a bridal magazine!

You did notice that RawrGirl mentioned she photoshopped that one, right.

Great to have you back here. Xxx

Great to be back!

Hi Rawr Girl
It is emotionaly and mentaly distroying going back through life to write but it can to some be a way forward.
Becarefull you dont trigger a negative journey of great lengths.
One part is done maybe a rest and the chance for your mind to rebalance and know that it is not your reality "now". If you bombard it with much it may not realise this.

Releasing a book of your life takes great strength especially when it provides an open door for society to judge you.

Ive got a book and last year i misslaid the card with it on after being out of the house with it. I went into total meltdown...literaly i was almost on the floor.

Luckily it was down the side of the car seat but what i was lucky enough to expierience was my reaction to not being in control of who was going to be reading it ...just like gettting it published.

Since that day ive not much thought about it.

Do wish you luck in your journey with it and hope it brings you closure what ever you choose to do with it. Xx

Hi Rawr Girl
It is emotionaly and mentaly distroying going back through life to write but it can to some be a way forward.
Becarefull you dont trigger a negative journey of great lengths.

Yea, RawrGirl has been keeping an eye out for that actually. thanks.

Ive got a book and last year i misslaid the card with it on after being out of the house with it. I went into total meltdown...literaly i was almost on the floor.

Not sure exactly what you mean by mislaid the card with it on. But yes, I know what you mean. No one has ever read my diaries before, and I would have been devastated if they ever had. But actually thinking about publishing them is actually freeing. Like, if I have nothing to hide, there's nothing to fear anymore. It's strange and doesn't make sense, and yet it does. That's why I'm calling it Exposed.

RawrGirl is feeling rather down today. She doesn't think that she will ever reach goal. She feels very tired of her diet and like she wants to give up (which is really stupid, because her friend Squishy eats half as much as she does and she is sticking with it strong). And she feels like even if she does reach her goal, she will gain it all right back because that is what everyone says will happen on a VLCD (even though she hasn't missed a single weight workout, well, she has, but she's doubled up the next day, so if you look at if from a week's perspective instead of daily, she's never missed a workout).

She thinks it might be from not having a scale, but she knows that if she did, she would eat too much every time it went up out of discouragement, so over all, she knows her weight loss will progress better if she doesn't have it. But she just still feels so fat and flabby and squishy all over the place. :(

RawrGirl reposted her response from the thread I'm overweight because...

1) Laziness

2) Too big of portions, stuffing myself as though would never see that food again

3) Comfort eat -- mostly drinks, like Starbucks Venti White Chocolate Mochas

4) Celebrate with food -- eat when happy more than any other emotion

5) Give up way to easily

6) Don't like to deprive of favorite foods

7) Love to binge, eat all favorite foods of in large portions

8) No moderation. Eat an entire tray of cookies or half a pan of brownies in one
night...after eating tons of pizza

9) Hate to exercise

10) Since can't be thin immediately (drop 30 pounds overnight), it was too depressing to realize a diet would take months, so keep self busy from thinking about how fat

Please don't be down RawrGirl :( We all go through phases of hating our diet and wanting to give up because either results aren't happening, or they're not happening quickly enough.

Would you consider weighing yourself, then asking PC to hide your scales again? There is no way you HAVEN'T lost weight, after all your hard work, so maybe weighing yourself would give you a positive lift that you're heading in the right direction? You are doing so well. Please don't compare yourself to me- I'm certainly no saint. Yes, I've stuck to this diet 100%, because that's the only way it works and it's too expensive for me to cheat on. But I've failed miserably at so many other diets before this, and who knows what I'll behave like when I'm finished!

Hope today is a better day for you. X

RawrGirl said:
Not sure exactly what you mean by mislaid the card with it on. But yes, I know what you mean. No one has ever read my diaries before, and I would have been devastated if they ever had. But actually thinking about publishing them is actually freeing. Like, if I have nothing to hide, there's nothing to fear anymore. .

Id saved it on a SD card as my ex eddited it for me. He got to half way and couldnt do anymore he was so depressed.
Not a good result but it realy sucks you in.
I cant edit it myself as i would go under pretty quickly.

So it never got polished up for publishing but after that scare i havent concidered it much.

I also found out you have to have your real name in the book even if you publish under a false name.

That then freaked me out more.

Dont feel low today hun....get away from those past demons.
Tell them very authoritivley that they have had a lot of your energy and mind space for now. That yp
You are owed this time so you are taking it.
Tell them they can come back once you are at your goal and you will then allocate them some time.

Hugs Xx

Id saved it on a SD card as my ex eddited it for me. He got to half way and couldnt do anymore he was so depressed.
Not a good result but it realy sucks you in.
I cant edit it myself as i would go under pretty quickly.

So it never got polished up for publishing but after that scare i havent concidered it much.

I also found out you have to have your real name in the book even if you publish under a false name.

That then freaked me out more.

Dont feel low today hun....get away from those past demons.
Tell them very authoritivley that they have had a lot of your energy and mind space for now. That yp
You are owed this time so you are taking it.
Tell them they can come back once you are at your goal and you will then allocate them some time.

Hugs Xx

Where did you hear you have to have your real name in a book? Your publisher and/or agent need to know your real name for tax purposes, but lots of people write under a pseudonym and no where in the book is their real name. And if you want to switch genres, they (publishers) make you choose another pseudonym. So like you wrote romance and then wanted to write fantasy, they make you change your name so you don't "disappoint" your readership. They don't want anyone to find out you are the same person. So believe me, the real name isn't in the book. Only your publisher and agent need to know as they sign the checks and need the right info for the IRS.

I have an agent (I write Christian fantasy), and I write under a different name and was never told to put my real name in the book. I also introduce myself in person as my pseudonym to writers, editors, publishers, etc (and my facebook is under that name), so not many people even know my real name.

And you can always self-publish it. I keep wavering back and forth on whether or not to show my memoir to my agent or not. I don't want my memoir labeled a "Christian" book. I don't want to limit it to just a Christian audience / shelved on the Christian section in the bookstore rather than the self-help with the other weight loss and eating disorder memoirs. So I might just self-publish. Not sure yet. And in that case, your real name is only on your account page with your bank info so they can deposit your royalties. You can still have any screen name you want (mine is my pseudonym) so no one who goes to your Amazon author page knows you're real name either.

With all that said, I would consider publishing under your real name (especially if it and/or you live with "toxic" secrets). Writing itself can only be so cathartic. Publishing it and standing tall and saying "this is who I am, I no longer have anything to hide" is what I believe makes it healing. Letting go of the shame. No longer living under it. No longer dragging it around with you, while the toxic secrets continue to eat away at your soul.

Anyway...just RawrGirl's two cents. :)

Please don't be down RawrGirl :( We all go through phases of hating our diet and wanting to give up because either results aren't happening, or they're not happening quickly enough.

Would you consider weighing yourself, then asking PC to hide your scales again? There is no way you HAVEN'T lost weight, after all your hard work, so maybe weighing yourself would give you a positive lift that you're heading in the right direction? You are doing so well. Please don't compare yourself to me- I'm certainly no saint. Yes, I've stuck to this diet 100%, because that's the only way it works and it's too expensive for me to cheat on. But I've failed miserably at so many other diets before this, and who knows what I'll behave like when I'm finished!

Hope today is a better day for you. X

RawrGirl is now petrified of seeing the scale. If it didn't say low enough (143 or less), she would be devastated that she lost so little, and she would go on a week long binge and get very depressed, and then who knows how much she would have gained after that, and then would have to start all over again. No, RawrGirl and the scale are not yet getting reacquainted, lol. Maybe when she fits in her Old Navy size 8's, because she doesn't think she's ever been less than a 10 since she found Old Navy (she's bought 12's, but any heavier and she only buys from GoodWill), so when she fits in them, she'll know that she is less than 143, and hopefully in the 130's. Only seeing 139.9 or less would make RawrGirl not eat a whole pizza in anger and frustration at this point. Haha...at least she knows herself. :D

HI Rawrgirl
Maybe it is different in UK? im not sure i will lok deeper into it.
I was advised not to self publish.....if it flunks then when you try to go to the publishers they ask what happens and they think its already spent or not a train worth catching.
If you self publish it will be interesting?
I have so many ideas for books through being with my grandaughter but truth is i dont know where to start.

Sadly I can't do name publication and wouldnt risk even a publisher knowning realy. I must protect my family and as long as i have to protect them and thier place in socities twisted outlooks then my need comes last.

Im a Grandmother first and a Daughter second......Ive watched to much of what my Mum has been through to watch her suffer through the world reading the results of it all :( my mums time is limited and its deeply important for me that those years are peacefull as realy she has had few.

My time will come ;) im sure of that.

Untill then i am going to focus on my photograpy and have a new PC next week and will busy myself putting the past 4 years with my grandaughter onto discs.

Regarding wieght and scales iwas quiet bemuzed as when i meet my ex last year in June i was 13st 7lb.
I fitted well in clothes and i had a bum that was firming up nicely.
Im now 12st 1lb 6oz and my arse is larger and clothes that where baggy then are tight in areas now.
All i can think is i was realy well toned, but thats 1st and 6lbs difference just makes the mind boggle!

Hope you feel better tomorrow hun XX

RawrGirl had a really good day today. She woke up to find an old friend of her mother's had posted this picture on her facebook wall with the caption: Is this you?

kate-becketts-ready.jpg

What made RawrGirl feel so good was that she thought this actress was pretty (she'd never heard of her before this) AND she could see the resemblance to herself.

RawrGirl has even thrown out / deleted / burned pictures of herself that looked similar to this photo because she thought her face looked fat. But as she studied this actress (and googled tons of other images of her), she realized that what she'd always considered fat was jawline. Just like this actress, RawrGirl tends to photograph with a square jaw even though she actually has an oval face. (RawrGirl has always wished she had a pointy chin, heart-shaped face because it makes cheeks look hollow, i.e. thin.)

So anyway, even though it's not how RawrGirl would choose to look, she now understands how other people think her face is pretty when all she's ever seen is fat. So she saved a whole bunch of pics of this actress to her body image folder, and plans to refer back to them whenever she is dressing up (doing her hair and makeup), in the hopes that she won't walk away from the mirror feeling ugly. :D

PS -- Prince Charming says thank goodness I finally "believe" what people have been telling me. RawrGirl tried to explain that it's the first time she's "seen" what other people have told her. She has such a distorted image of herself in her head that when people have said, oh I saw your "twin" today, RawrGirl had visions of a 20-pound heavier, blob-shaped face with ugly features, and was very glad that she also didn't see her "twin" because she would have been devastated by what she truly looked like. If this actress is how she appears to others, and since she thinks that actress looks pretty (not drop-dead gorgeous, but definitely pretty) then hopefully RawrGirl won't feel ugly anymore. Or at least, much less often.

I'm so glad you had a good day!

Oh my goodness, there is such a striking resemblance to the actress (whoever she is!) I actually thought it WAS a photo of you at first. Wow! That's nice to have. I think you need a leather jacket! It reminds me of the time somebody started a "doppelgänger week" on fbook and you had to replace your profile pic with a celebrity you looked like. I actually couldn't pick one because I couldn't think of one celebrity I looked like, besides maybe Roseanne Barr?!!

I laughed at your "twin" part. That's exactly my train of thought when someone tells me they saw my twin! "Oh she must've been overweight and frumpy too". Seriously, what is wrong with us?! We're FABULOUS darling!

Hope you have another great day today, and HAPPY FRIDAY by the time you read this. X

Measurement Update

Okay, so last Friday RawrGirl still didn't have internet, so she wasn't able to post her measurements.

DateJuly 2July 13July 20July 27~ Aug 24 ~Aug 31Sept 14Sept 28Oct 5Oct 19*Oct 26Nov 2
Weight162?158?155?155?150?148?143?

Waist32.531.7531.2531.2530.7530.53029.7529.53029.7529.25
Navel3938.537.53837.7536.536.53636363535
Hips41.541.540.7540.7540.7540.754039.7539.539.7539.539.25
Arm13

Upper Thigh24.75

Even though she only records them on the chart every 2 weeks, she still measured today (her in-between week). So this week, she lost nothing in her arms, thighs, and navel, but did lose 1/4 inch in her waist and 1/4 inch in her hips.

RawrGirl is fine with that (even though it's so small), as long as she really did lose it. Her only fear is wondering if a measuring tape can't be 100% accurate, as in, what if she measured a different spot than last week and really didn't lose anything?
:sigh:

EDIT: Since RawrGirl was on road trip over Oct 12, she went ahead and added her Oct 5th measurements.

*10/19/02: The gain reflects the Friday after the road trip (Thurs-Mon). But RawrGirl also has TOM, so perhaps she is just bloated and didn't gain anything. She's not sure. :/

Last edited:
RawrGirl's Maintenance Plan

Okay, so last week RawrGirl did some research online (from her phone) on how to maintain a weight loss, particularly in regards to having lost on a VLCD (but it applies to anyone). And she found an extremely interesting research study that talked about how your metabolism is slower after you lose weight, because 1) you weigh less, so naturally you body needs less to maintain a smaller body, and 2) your metabolism slows while you are on a diet.

Ok, fine...we are know that part, but here's where it got interesting!

Apparently, the MAXIMUM metabolic shut down is 15%. (Why they don't call it slow down instead is beyond me, but that's not the point).

What does this mean?

If one woman weighted 125 all her adult life, her BMR is 1250 (approx) with no exercise. She burns 1250 calories on a normal lazy day, thus she can eat 1250 calories and neither lose nor gain weight. (If her activity level was moderately active then her calorie level would be 1,750. So as long as she maintained that activity level, she could eat 1,750 calories a day and never gain weight).

BUT.....

If another woman who had weighed 160 pounds (that was their example), and dieted down to 125 pounds, her BMR is NOT the same as the other woman. She would gain eating 1250 calories a day without exercise (or gain eating 1750 a day even if she was moderately active).

A dieter who has reached goal weight should subtract 15% from their assumed BMR. So the second woman can actually only eat 1,062 calories a day in order to not gain (and 1,562 calories if she is moderately active).

This study recommended eating 15% less than your assumed BMR for the first year after your diet, claiming that was about how long it took for your metabolism to return to normal after weight loss. However, RawrGirl has read elsewhere that it takes two years for your body to reset your set-point (the weight you body wants to maintain). Now there is another study (I think it's a sticky on the maintenance thread here on Minimins) that says if you were ever obese (BMI 30>), then your body will always be looking to put the extra weight back on, (which RawrGirl assumes means they should stick with the 15% less for life).

So while it may somewhat frustrating, RawrGirl thought it was mostly encouraging since if we KNOW exactly how not to gain the weight back, if we know to eat 15% less than what the charts and things say, it might be disappointing that we can't eat the same amount as others our weight, but at least we don't HAVE to put the weight back on, and we can always use exercise to increase our caloric.)

Because RawrGirl is somewhat obsessive compulsive about these things, she has designed a chart for anyone who is interested so they can quickly determine what their minus 15% caloric intake is based on their goal weight.
:D

StonesPoundsCaloric Intake
9st7lb1331130
10st7lb1471250
11st7lb1611368

Keep in mind this is based on no exercise. Personally, RawrGirl does not like BMR calculators that "guess" how much she burns (in case they overestimate and she gains weight). Thus, if she wishes to eat more than this she will use My Fitness Pal to determine exactly what her exercise that day burned and thus how much over her BMR she can eat. Some weight loss plans (WW) allow you to "save" your exercise calories all week to use over the weekend, but you can't roll them over. So if you have a wedding or party coming up and want to eat alot, you can do more exercise than usual all week, but you can't then not use them and apply those exercise calories to something later in the month.

Also, RawrGirl has a proposed plan for her and her Minimins friends, and that is that we make a vow, here and now, to have a maintenance diary on Minimins for at least one year. (RawrGirl has noticed that even though there is a sub forum for diaries on the maintenance threat, not many people at goal actually keep one.)

So, she thought it would be a good idea to make that commitment for a year, while we wait for our metabolisms to catch back up, not only to maintain friendships, but also for accountability, to help each learn from each other's mistakes, to show off pics of ourselves in our new clothes, a place where we can vent about food and body image and feeling ugly (or feeling beautiful), and to catch slip-ups early (if we gain 5 pounds, to jump right back on and not let it turn into a stone, etc.)

Anyone interested?

I find that research very interesting (if a little depressing :) ) It makes a lot of sense.

Just running out the door to my friend's house (eek) but yes, count me in for the maintenance diary. I find my diary here very therapeutic.

Xxx

Everything ok with you? X

Back