Calling All You Boozers!

flutter-by-us

Silver Member
I know there are a lot of (how should I put this) appreciators of wine here so I'm looking for some advice.
I hate wine - detest it tastes like vinegar (white wine) or beetroot juice (red wine) BUT I do rather fancy sipping a nice glass of something in the evening over Crimbo rather than knocking back the hard stuff!
Sooooooo can anyone advise me on a nice wine that I could try red or white - I did quite like a rioja (sp) once if that helps?

I love Rioja - in fact Spanish wines white or red and lovely (oh or rose)
although Mcguigan Shiraz and merlot and cabernet sauvignon from tesco are wonderful. if you are lucky they are half price too - sainsburys sometimes have them half price aswell. oh and their Chardonnay LOL.
My favourite wine ever is Chateauneuf du Pape though

Thanks ladies I knew I could rely on you!
Will take note of them and buy a bottle at a time and if I don't like them I could use it in cooking I suppose!
Sorry Susie not a fan of champagne either unless I drown it in oj!

Oh sorry hun - maybe try a full bodied red (think of it as Ribena that makes you giggle :D) like Wolf Blass cabernet sauvignon or merlot.

LOL ribena that makes you tiddly I like that!
Have you always liked wine or did you have to learn to like it just wonder if it should be a natural thing and maybe I'll never like it?

Have you thought about mulled wine? Nothing better than a warm glass of spicy wine. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As a Kiwi I started off drinking beer at uni, and then we found some cheap gut rot white wine. Took me a few years to enjoy red, but your tastes do change, and now I love it (as we all know lol)

Lol I go through Phases. I cant stand rose wine now though - atkins sure has changed my taste buds - i can taste loads of salt and sugar now. I bought ice cream at the weekend - had one taste and chucked it. too sweet! OMG!

lesley

merlot is good for a beginner, lovely soft and fruity.

Pretty much any Cabernet sauvignon is good, especially if blended with Merlot.

Not easy to find, but I do like a nice Malbec.

and of course, pinot noire and Zinfandel.

Jim, I would have said exactly the same thing.

Try and find some Arabella Merlot, its too "sweet" for me, but for someone who doesnt like wine it may be a good start.

We used to drink red wine and coke when I was young and silly :eek:

My favourite wine ever is Chateauneuf du Pape though

Me too.. lurve it!

Have you thought about mulled wine? Nothing better than a warm glass of spicy wine. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thats what I was going to suggest!

As a Kiwi I started off drinking beer at uni, and then we found some cheap gut rot white wine. Took me a few years to enjoy red, but your tastes do change, and now I love it (as we all know lol)

I completely went off red wine inbetween my 2 kids, thankfully my taste for it came back after AJ was born

lesley

Shiraz is my fave

I had a hungarian boyfriend many moons ago & thats how they drink it over there.. kind of weird red wine spritzer!

They drink it like that in Spain too. Had my first taste about 25 years ago courtesy of a Spanish lorry driver!
I'm having a bottle of the red house wine with my curry tonight. If I'm walking down there in this weather I'll need it. They know to keep the lid for me as I always bring it home to finish ;)

What about buying a few different quarter bottles Flutter? Tesco do loads of different reds in smaller bottles, so you could try them without wasting lots!

So I should persevere then!

Lol I go through Phases. I cant stand rose wine now though - atkins sure has changed my taste buds - i can taste loads of salt and sugar now. I bought ice cream at the weekend - had one taste and chucked it. too sweet! OMG!

Binned ice cream Vicky are you mad! :) Could have sent it to me the freezing temperatures would have meant it was fine! Obviously not a Ben and Jerrys then :)

lesley

Thanks Jim you're obviously a man of experience!

Jim, I would have said exactly the same thing.

Try and find some Arabella Merlot, its too "sweet" for me, but for someone who doesnt like wine it may be a good start.

Hmmmmm red wine and coke might make it more palatable!

What about buying a few different quarter bottles Flutter? Tesco do loads of different reds in smaller bottles, so you could try them without wasting lots!

Great idea and am sure I could snaffle one of those bottles even if it was dire! :)

She's a clever girl, that Flutter :D

Oh she is Lady Susie she is!

i used to not like wine, but now it seems i can't get enough! :eek:

it is an acquired taste, worth persevering to attain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
lesley

:D I try. LOL.

i used to not like wine, but now it seems i can't get enough! :eek:

it is an acquired taste, worth persevering to attain

I'm convinced!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
lesley

:D I try. LOL.

:D:D

nah it wasnt lol!

Phew was worried for a moment! Thought something must have been wrong :D

Back